Why should I get a 3DS over a tablet?

#1GaMeFrEaK316Posted 2/24/2013 1:12:22 AM
Serious question. I'm mostly a console gamer and was looking for a new handheld machine to play games on and maybe surf the web and stuff. My friend said a tablet like the Nexus 7 or iPad mini would be a better option over a 3DS. He said 3DS is mostly for kids and that an iPad does everything a 3DS can do, only better.

stuff like...

web browsing
touch screen
resolution
graphics
game quality
game prices
thinness
camera
music player

is all way better on a tablet. Is this true? I've never owned one so I don't know.
---
COW GO MOO
#2Ulyaoth74Posted 2/24/2013 1:15:01 AM
Do you want to play games?

3DS

Do you want to play something that is kind of similar to games but has web browsing?

Tablet

Do you want to play games and web browse?

Laptop
---
"Can you draw two M&Ms fighting with katanas?" -Me
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/9606/mmfight.png -aDubiousNotion
#3Riku413Posted 2/24/2013 1:15:11 AM
Do you want to play Nintendo 3DS games? If so, buy a 3DS. If not, get a tablet.

Also, ignore what your friends think. If you think you'll enjoy it, get it.
---
I bought a bird that repeats what I say but, "I'm lonely" is all that he's heard.
#4d0wnerPosted 2/24/2013 1:17:02 AM
Nintendo games.

If that isn't compelling enough then get a tablet.
---
shoot the core.
#5kewldude475Posted 2/24/2013 1:27:44 AM
Do you want quality handheld console games?

3DS.

Do you want a very inferior version of a Laptop?

Tablet.
---
PS3/Vita PSN: kewldude475; 3DS FC: 4253-3798-3218; Steam: kewldude475
#6Ulyaoth74Posted 2/24/2013 1:36:08 AM
But yeah, seriously. Ignore the "3DS is only for kids" thing. Nerf guns are for kids, but that doesn't stop me (23 year old) from shooting my friends in the head with them.

The only use I've seen Tablets excel in are for when you want to draw. If you aren't going to work on your digital art, don't get it.
---
"Can you draw two M&Ms fighting with katanas?" -Me
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/9606/mmfight.png -aDubiousNotion
#7PuddingchanPosted 2/24/2013 1:41:33 AM(edited)
GaMeFrEaK316 posted...
Serious question. I'm mostly a console gamer and was looking for a new handheld machine to play games on and maybe surf the web and stuff. My friend said a tablet like the Nexus 7 or iPad mini would be a better option over a 3DS. He said 3DS is mostly for kids and that an iPad does everything a 3DS can do, only better.

stuff like...

web browsing
touch screen
resolution
graphics
game quality
game prices
thinness
camera
music player

is all way better on a tablet. Is this true? I've never owned one so I don't know.

I would say that game variety is better on a tablet, but the quality not necessarily so. Most of the games on the tablet are designed for casual play, or on a pay-to-win model. The ones that have better graphics are usually multiplayer and the paid content or PvP elements more often than not messes and upsets the game balance.

Other than that, your friend is mostly right.

Overall the usefulness of a tablet is better than a 3DS, I give you that, the only thing is that the tablet won't have games from the 3DS lineup and does not have 3D effects.

A wi-fi tablet is not as useful when you don't have wi-fi access, most people would go for a 3G + wifi model. 4G LTE works too but drains a tablet battery at a much faster rate. However, that might also mean your bills will increase since you are paying for an extra data plan for the tablet.

The reason why I have a tablet is for the on-the-go web browsing, reading PDF notes for presentations or lectures, instant checking of e-mail inboxes, calendar organiser, and some light entertainment. These are things that a laptop can do but a laptop is too bulky to carry around in many cases. I reserve my laptop for serious work. Still, I really don't recommend a tablet solely for games.

You can consider getting both a 3G/4G tablet and 3DS, because they can complement each other. Instead of relying on wi-fi hotspots, a 3G/4G tablet can share its internet access with the 3DS almost anywhere. For the same amount you pay to get a Nexus 7 or iPad mini, you might probably be able to get both a lower-end 3G tablet and a 3DS.

If not, getting a 3G/4G phone and 3DS seems to be a better idea.
#8ShadowRisaePosted 2/24/2013 1:46:39 AM
Puddingchan posted...

The reason why I have a tablet is for the on-the-go web browsing, reading PDF notes for presentations or lectures, instant checking of e-mail inboxes, calendar organiser, and some light entertainment. These are things that a laptop can do but a laptop is too bulky to carry around in many cases. I reserve my laptop for serious work. Still, I really don't recommend a tablet solely for games.

I have a Macbook Pro and I had an iPad (before I sold it since I wasn't using it). Honestly, the iPad didn't weigh that much less than my MacBook and it's about the same size as the Macbook when closed. But the Macbook can do so much more than the iPad. Really, the only things my Macbook /can't/ do are related to the iOS (iPad/iPhone) only apps.

So, personally, I don't get what tablets are useful for. But that's just for me and my personal wants/needs in gadgets. It might be different for you or someone else.

Anyway, for TC, most of the 3DS' games are exclusive to the 3DS. If you want to play *those* particular games, then you need a 3DS. It's that simple. I don't know how good the 3DS is for web browsing. I never, ever have used it for that and never will. I use it 100% for gaming.
---
Too many games, not enough free time.
#9jedinatPosted 2/24/2013 1:58:53 AM
Tablet games are basically blown up phone games. 3DS games are basically full blown console games. There's no comparison.

I use both my tablet and 3DS all the time. The tablet is good for casual web browsing and AWESOME for reading manga and watching shows in bed. The 3DS is good for gaming.
#10NessEggmanPosted 2/24/2013 1:59:01 AM
Just upgrade your phone. If you already have a phone, a tablet is just a big phone without the phone part.

If you want to use it MAINLY for web browsing, picture-taking, whatever, get a tablet (or better yet, phone). If you want to use it MAINLY for gaming, get 3DS.

If you want to play anything better than a mediocre minigame, get 3DS, or perhaps look into PSVita if it has the kinds of games you want to play. My vote still goes to 3DS.

I have phone and tablet and laptop and use all for games, but if I want to actually play games, I'm probably pulling out the 3DS (or laptop lol, but that's not in question here)

If I just want to waste time while I'm sitting in a waiting room and bored for 4 minutes, I will play on phone or tablet.
---
http://reddragonranch.blogspot.com
The Legend of Red Dragon Ranch - KICKSTARTER now LIVE!!