Metroid Other M should have been a 3DS game instead.

#1l3igl3ossPosted 2/24/2013 4:10:16 PM
With the gameplay mechanics sans the story limitations. - Results (112 votes)
I agree. It's as much 2D Metroid in 3D as Super Mario 3D Land.
65.18% (73 votes)
I disagree. Either a completely 3D game or a side scrolling one.
34.82% (39 votes)
This poll is now closed.
By story limitations, I mean the power ups you're only allowed to use at certain times. Focus on the controls and camera perspective for now, leave the story complaints for last.
---
This account will cease to exist once Nintendo goes out of business because of the Wii U.
#2SoaringDivePosted 2/24/2013 4:19:33 PM
Yeah. Game would be great in 3D, and would control wonderfully on the 3DS.
---
PM (on GFaqs) me if you add me (I won't bite)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive
#3GeomaetrixPosted 2/24/2013 4:20:54 PM
Meh, why the second option? The DS already got a 3D Metroid, with Metroid Prime Hunters, and while the innovative control layout was cool, it's very limiting for other actions. Metroid Other M could have been a cool top down view game with first person view segments, akin to Metal Gear Solid 2, for example, but it was limited again by the gimmick-y controller position swapping. The 3DS, as a single analog pad console, would have been a good destination for it, as the action would unfold by pressing the face buttons readily available.
#4RayzerTagPosted 2/24/2013 4:21:13 PM
It shouldn't have been a game at all
---
Baseless prediction as of 01/04/13 : the next Xbox will be called the Xbox On.
#5Catcher_FreemanPosted 2/24/2013 4:36:46 PM
It shouldn't have been a game at all

---
The mac daddy of the Pokemon Black 2 board.
#6IHeartMetroidPosted 2/24/2013 4:53:40 PM
Other M was just terrible. The storyline was just embarassing, the gameplay was stupidly linear, the environments were full of invisible walls, idiotic arbitrary limitations and bugs, and as a game in general it couldn't get anything right at all about whatever genre it was trying to straddle.

Putting it on the 3DS wouldn't have solved any of these inherent problems at all.
---
Currently ignoring 3 users.
If I haven't responded to a post directly addressed to me, that's probably why.
#7gransPosted 2/24/2013 5:01:41 PM(edited)
Eh, the game would still have needed massive tweaking even beyond what you mentioned IMO. The thing that makes Metroid so great is the exploration and secrets involved (to me anyways), and that was essentially missing in Other M. Even Fusion, despite its linear level progression, still had some fun level design and secrets to find.

At this point, i'd say just make an entirely new Metroid game. I'm not against certain elements from Other M, namely the perspective used in the game and some other aspects. But the level design would need such a massive overhaul that it may as well just be a completely new game.

I don't think this series needed any more story than it already had in the first place. Even if the story had been somewhat better and not had such bad voice acting and character development. The series is just one of those that works so much better as a pure gameplay experience. In fact, the loneliness from the lack of characters or much story in previous games makes the atmosphere incredible (Super Metroid is spectacular in this regard). Some games work well with a lot of story elements, this is an example of a series that works best without them. Or at least best with a relatively limited one like past games prior to Other M.

The only possible plot I might be interested in would perhaps be as a sequel to Fusion, for the following reasons (spoiler tagged just in case)-

In Fusion, Samus destroyed the X and SA-X organisms against the wishes of the Federation by triggering a self destruct on the station. The Federation wanted to study the X parasite for their own scientific reasons and even had her locked in a room until they arrived so she wouldn't destroy the X. She broke out and destroyed the place and all the research. Afterwards Samus reflects that she doesn't think people will understand why she destroyed the parasites and that the Federation will hold her responsible. And to me that really sounds like an interesting set up for a new Metroid game IMHO. Samus becomes an outlaw wanted by the Federation and hunted across space. That would ensure the game retains a sense of loneliness in being cut off from people. You could even have some situations where you have to outrun Federation soldiers, or even sneak past them to avoid getting caught, kind of like how the SA-X would occasionally hunt you in Fusion and you'd need to find a place to hide.

And speaking of the SA-X, despite being the main antagonist in Fusion that fused with Samus' suit and stalked her throughout the game trying to kill her, it oddly enough chose to fuse back with her at the end when the station was about to blow up. Perhaps the SA-X could return in future games (it would also provide yet another convenient logical reason why Samus loses all her powers if her suit once again splits off from her, which is still far less dumb than intentionally not using her suit's powers like in Other M). To survive, the SA-X would either have to evolve past its weakness to the Metroid vaccine (which I think is at least somewhat possible given that these creatures evolve at an alarmingly fast pace), or otherwise given an explanation that the vaccine isn't permanent and its effects will wear off eventually (maybe that it was weakening right around the point when Samus escaped the station). The first explanation could make more sense, but either way it gives the X parasite a free ticket off a self destructing space station and it can spread elsewhere now wherever Samus goes. This both gives Samus another very intimidating adversary besides just Federation troops, but it also gives the Federation even more of a reason to want to pursue Samus and capture her besides being an outlaw.

---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#8IHeartMetroidPosted 2/24/2013 6:00:09 PM(edited)
** Spoiler Tags Added Just In Case **

Honestly, grans, I think one of the main reasons why we haven't seen a sequel to Fusion (just prequels and such) might because many people at Modern Nintendo don't know what to DO with a character like Samus anymore. She's supposed to be one of their primary protagonists- an upholder of truth, justice and galactic freedom, like Mario and Link.

Now all of a sudden they're in the precarious spot of having this girl in a completely outlaw type of situation, running from the police. They can't just ignore Fusion and plop her down on any old planet anymore. From a Japanese cultural standpoint, in a company run by people that are by and large all exceeding half a century in age, there are some hurdles to get over.

So far, to be perfectly honest with you, they've taken the easy way out in several ways (the Prime series and the remakes let them make "new" games without addressing the plotholes), and they took one very stupid way (Other M). But..

They can't run around in the past forever. At some point, sometime, they're going to have to face the fact that they turned their strongest female character into a criminal.

I just hope that when they DO address it, they don't let the cultural biases of 60 year old men get in the way. Otherwise Other M is what we're going to keep getting.

** End Spoilers **

---
Currently ignoring 3 users.
If I haven't responded to a post directly addressed to me, that's probably why.
#9gransPosted 2/24/2013 6:18:26 PM(edited)
It's odd to think that they couldn't simply just bite and make Samus a fugitive though. Nintendo did actually do something similar to this before with Zelda. Link was basically treated as a criminal in Link to the Past for instance. Link is accused of kidnapping Zelda by the leaders even though you did the right thing and no one knew it. A few of the townspeople trust you still, but there are wanted signs with your name and face on them scattered throughout and several of the people think you're guilty and will alert a guard when they see you. All the guards in the entire kingdom are out to kill you. The situation in a sequel to Metroid Fusion would be fairly similar to Link's treatment in LTTP.

They will eventually need to address this if they want to go forward with the plot. Unless they find a way to stay in the past forever, or otherwise kill off the series. In the hands of someone that knows how to design a fun core game and great level design, with minimal reliance on dialog and plot, I think such a story could be great with talented people behind it.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#10SMASHKING84Posted 2/24/2013 5:37:28 PM
I'm surprised someone besides me likes this game then again i hated metriod prime so...
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon
ignored users:quiet is good,vyers,attack a horse,and razieru