Etrian Odyssey 4 or SMT: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers?

#11TatsuSuouPosted 2/24/2013 9:58:20 PM
I would get EO4 because it's a brand new game. Soul Hackers is a port/remake of an old game and may feel a bit outdated.
---
Feel The Ether
http://backloggery.com/Mayadome
#12yukitoPosted 2/24/2013 11:57:57 PM
I read that Soul Hackers will be on the eshop as well, so if you have no qualms with DD you will be able to buy and play both down the line.

It's hard to recommend one or the other; I'm looking forward to both. EO4 is a love letter to an older age of games, where you had to draw your own maps. There isn't a ton of character depth; you build a crew of characters from a selection of classes and go into dungeons to beat stuff up.

SH has a greater emphasis on story and character development, as well as the demon negotiation/fusing aspects that are pretty central to SMT games. It has a cyberpunk setting, which I am really looking forward to (don't see those settings too much in games, never mind jrpgs). If you're expecting it to be similar to Persona 3/4 at all, shatter that illusion.

Both are first person games with turn based combat.

Like someone else said, Soul Hackers won't be out until nearly two months after Etrian Odyssey 4, so maybe you'll come into some extra cash by then.
---
He's gonna kick that burger!
-Yusketeers
#13Devilman_AmonPosted 2/25/2013 12:05:04 AM
They need to localize Beyond the Labyrinth and Time Travelers.
I'd also like a port of Maken X
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#14cymanxPosted 2/25/2013 12:54:43 AM
You think you're having problems? Pfft. I can't decide between Code of Princess and Etrion Oddysey 4...
---
"Staying dead." can you imagine?
#15yabPosted 2/25/2013 3:44:06 AM
I disagree, considering how the DS games got reprinted.

after a couple years. Soul Hackers might be like DS:O which is easily available again. Or not.
---
#16Botnus912(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2013 6:49:22 PM
yukito posted...
If you're expecting it to be similar to Persona 3/4 at all, shatter that illusion.

I was expecting it to be like Devil Survivor. I don't like the Persona series that much. I feel that it's overpraised.
---
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd471/botnus912/charlie-s-high-dance.gif
I'm so fresh you can suck my nuts
#17Botnus912(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2013 6:49:53 PM
cymanx posted...
You think you're having problems? Pfft. I can't decide between Code of Princess and Etrion Oddysey 4...

Code of Princess sucks. Worst $40 I've spent last year.
---
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd471/botnus912/charlie-s-high-dance.gif
I'm so fresh you can suck my nuts
#18yukitoPosted 2/25/2013 7:04:24 PM
Botnus912 posted...
yukito posted...
If you're expecting it to be similar to Persona 3/4 at all, shatter that illusion.

I was expecting it to be like Devil Survivor. I don't like the Persona series that much. I feel that it's overpraised.

Not really like DS either. At least from the impressions I've read and gameplay videos I've seen.
---
He's gonna kick that burger!
-Yusketeers
#19nouseravailablePosted 2/25/2013 7:20:42 PM(edited)
Soul Hackers is autowin for me ad Im a huge smt fan. The game is geared toward an extinct kind of gamer: anime mixed with books, 90s aesthetics and a Wizardry touch (the gameplay reminds me of snes smt), If you are not feeling very confortable with it, you can always wait for smtiv or check ds strange journey (this one is awesome and a little more palatable).
---
NP: Ni No Kuni and P4Arena
#20MetalLokiPosted 2/25/2013 7:22:03 PM
Botnus912 posted...
yukito posted...

It's like Strange Journey, in fact one could argue that SJ is SH's evolution.
---
The official Loki of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"My sword hand twitches.."