I guess Monster Hunter is a hit or miss game series

#1Devilman_AmonPosted 2/25/2013 1:52:31 AM
Cause I found the demo extremely boring

I imaging Soul Sacrifice and God Eater 2 will be more exciting, But I don't have a Vita...

Maybe Toukiden for PSP then...
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#2FefnirOmega13Posted 2/25/2013 2:14:01 AM
I found the demo fun, but extremely slow-paced. It felt like it took years to down the enemy- I didn't expect the giant rabbit thing to die in a few slashes, but it took like eighty direct hits to down it- I picked the Axe class, and I didn't find swinging the axe at my enemy, it diving away, and having to waddle after it while it pinballed around the area very relishing. The camera controls were an utter nightmare (on the Dpad, the thing below the control stick, naturally impossible to use for anyone left handed) so I constantly had to stop, move the camera until I'd found my target- by which time it had dashed into me and sent me flying.

I tried using the bowgun class, but I managed to run out of time and practically exhaust every kind of ammo given to me firing at the beast.

Hey, maybe the game's just not for me.
---
Bullet Hell fan, Cave and Touhou lover. <3 Patchouli Knowledge.
Playing: DeathSmiles, Fire Emblem 8, Rune Factory 3, Digimon World Dawn, Tales of Vesperia
#3Fr33zPosted 2/25/2013 2:23:02 AM(edited)
It is a hit or miss depending on the person. The game has a serious steep learning curve and may take a while to truly get into. The demo is a HORRIBLE showcase of the game though. Besides the boss fights theres also all the other stuff such as gathering items, hunting and collecting loot from other monsters, crafting equipment, etc.

Ntm the knowledge to know how to effectively take down the boss monsters such as knowing a weapons assets(such as speed vs strength, durability, power, etc), how to effectively dodge and hit, where and when to hit a monster, their weak spots, etc. etc. All that comes from hours of playing and getting to know the game, the environment, and the monsters, a simple demo wont do that justice.

The game is slow paced and lacks a true story so it might not be for everyone, it takes alot of patience and dedication to really get into it.

One thing the demo did do right though was showcase all the weapons to allow people to find which is more comfortable for them.

And Soul Sacrifice does look pretty fun, although people are already writing it off as a Monster Hunter clone(which does hold merit to some degree, i mean Keiji Inafune did work on MH and then left and did SS). I kind of wish it was on the 3DS as well as I dont own a Vita as of yet.
---
NNID: Illuminatis
Current Systems: PSP, PS3, Wii, WiiU, DS, 3DS
#4Mega_RatPosted 2/25/2013 2:17:48 AM
oFefnirOmega13 posted...
I found the demo fun, but extremely slow-paced. It felt like it took years to down the enemy- I didn't expect the giant rabbit thing to die in a few slashes, but it took like eighty direct hits to down it- I picked the Axe class, and I didn't find swinging the axe at my enemy, it diving away, and having to waddle after it while it pinballed around the area very relishing. The camera controls were an utter nightmare (on the Dpad, the thing below the control stick, naturally impossible to use for anyone left handed) so I constantly had to stop, move the camera until I'd found my target- by which time it had dashed into me and sent me flying.

I tried using the bowgun class, but I managed to run out of time and practically exhaust every kind of ammo given to me firing at the beast.

Auto target step

Click bottom right box when monster encountered

Click L button

Magic.
---
My wonderful girlfriend is a smexy Bunuppy! A cross breed of a bunny and a puppy .. WHAT! O_O
http://i.imgur.com/nddzs.jpg <- My name in a game (MSFHD)! :D
#5Fr33zPosted 2/25/2013 2:21:03 AM
FefnirOmega13 posted...

Did you try the lock-on controls? It made it MUCH easier as it automatically redirected the camera at the enemy rather than having to fiddle with the DPad. I didnt touch the DPad once during the demo thanks to it. And you should try more weapons, they all have different assets and each person has their own unique style. The Axe for example is slow but strong but something like the Sword and Shield is fast but much weaker. When I first started playing Monster Hunter I played MHTri for the Wii and thought I would be great with Great Swords, they were big, strong, and looked bad ass. After a while though I realized that the speed and quickness of the Sword and Shield was much more effective for me though. So its really a feel it out and see for yourself type of weapon system.
Bowguns aren't easy to jump into(well in my experience they werent) and it takes a while to find out how to utilize it to its full strengths.
---
NNID: Illuminatis
Current Systems: PSP, PS3, Wii, WiiU, DS, 3DS
#6Fr33zPosted 2/25/2013 2:22:26 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#7MugaazPosted 2/25/2013 9:44:58 AM
The demo is extremely boring, because there is no carrot. A large part of the game is killing stuff and wearing their skin as a hat =D. It would be like Diablo where you kill enemies, but they dont drop any loot.

However, if you don't like the core gameplay you won't like the game either. Im a huge fan, but its a game for certain kind of people. I havent met many people who are lukewarm on the game, its love or hate.
#8PuddingchanPosted 2/25/2013 9:47:08 AM
If the part about no story is true, it will be enough to be a miss for me.
#9toadiemanPosted 2/25/2013 9:53:26 AM
Yeah, it's a love it or hate it kind of game. The game is entirely about getting good at it. It's no "oh I'll play through it and have it finished in a week and move on to the next thrill of the week" kind of game.
---
PSN: toadieman
#10Akiba69Posted 2/25/2013 9:55:03 AM
Would be a lot better with a second thumb stick...and on the PC. It has a lot of potential, but i think it suffers being stuck with nintendo.