Anyone else find the resolution jarring?

#61Icecreamdunwich(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 1:53:07 PM
In my opinion, 3DS XL's resolution is not very good. It is noticeable to varying degrees depending on the game. However, I don't play 3DS for the resolution or even raw power. I play it to enjoy the art-style of Nintendo's first party titles (and I like the 3D effet, yes I do). And in that regard, I am quite satisfied.

I also like the 3D effect (in some games).
#62BlueBombei2Posted 2/26/2013 1:53:49 PM
Its not that bad. Its more noticeable on the XL for sure, but I don't think it takes away from gameplay one bit. Resident Evil Revelations looks fine on both the regular or the XL.

At any rate its certainly not jarring. Getting hit in the head with a shovel is jarring. Comparing graphics of anything is never jarring.
#63Second_ChancesPosted 2/26/2013 1:57:17 PM
It's not jarring, but I will say it's a pretty crappy resolution. Even the PSP has better, and it's eight years old.
#64Icecreamdunwich(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 2:10:21 PM
Its not that bad. Its more noticeable on the XL for sure, but I don't think it takes away from gameplay one bit. Resident Evil Revelations looks fine on both the regular or the XL.

At any rate its certainly not jarring. Getting hit in the head with a shovel is jarring. Comparing graphics of anything is never jarring.

To be disturbing or irritating; grate:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/jarring
#65gransPosted 2/26/2013 2:17:32 PM(edited)
Not when you actually put into context what that $150 gets you. There is more to everything than a dollar amount, bud.

Edit: Not to mention I am selling my old phone for $150, so I basically got a new phone for the price of a 3DS XL.

Sure, except you're trying to compare two systems which do completely different kinds of things. Phones are good at multiple different things but are generally horrible at gaming. 3DS on the other hand is almost purely a dedicated gaming device and excels at that- gameplay. If you want a device that is good for doing multimedia tasks but sucks at gaming, get a smartphone. If you want a gaming system and don't care that it's not intended to be used for other things, the 3DS is the better choice.

Again as someone who also has a phone, I like them and consider them cool for a lot of things. Gaming is not one of those things, and the technology in a phone doesn't help me ignore the lack of decent game content or the lack of decent controls needed in games. Comparing a phone to a 3DS is stupid.

Selling an old device to buy a new one is fine, but it's completely irrelevant to the core price point. You still effectively paid for that new phone.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#66Icecreamdunwich(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 2:18:21 PM
True I did have to pay for the original phone, but it still offsets the cost of the new phone. And there are plenty of phone games that I enjoy, Dungeon Raid being the most notable one.
#67Bahamut_10thPosted 2/26/2013 2:19:26 PM
Spoiled kidults.

I was fine playing/watching anything without caring about the resolution of my screen. And frankly wouldn't have care to change if I wasn't forced in order to play the games...
#68gransPosted 2/26/2013 2:26:48 PM
True I did have to pay for the original phone, but it still offsets the cost of the new phone.

Certainly it does. But one can make the same argument that you could trade in an older gaming system for a newer one to offset its own cost (or trading in or selling games themselves). I'm comparing the pure price points and disregarding the fact that either trade ins or selling older devices are an option for either situation.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#69Icecreamdunwich(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 2:35:04 PM
Pure price there is a difference yeah but for $150 I get a considerably stronger device that can do so many more things that it makes sense for the price to be more.

My main gripe is that Nintendo could have put in a better resolution/screen but didnt :/
#70Zero_ManiacPosted 2/26/2013 2:41:55 PM
Alright, I think it has been established already that the Big N is behind the times in more than one way. Move along, next f***ing case.
---
Currently Playing: Silent Hill, FE: Awakening, Megaman 2 (NES), Gunman Clive, and some GBA games.