Anyone else find the resolution jarring?

#81zelda_king3Posted 2/26/2013 4:21:02 PM
Icecreamdunwich posted...
I definitely notice the pixel and color difference when going from my Vita to my 3DS XL, but it doesn't make me enjoy the games even less.

It's a shame that some beautiful looking games like MH3U and Revelations are not being utilized at a decent resolution when phones/tablets these days are 1280x720 or even higher now.

But then again, the low resolution can help push the maximum graphical output within the 3DS (MH3U being an enhanced port of a Wii game and runs at 40-60FPS with dynamic shadows and improved shaders even with 3D enabled, something that the Wii version could not achieve.) due to the low resolution having less tax than Vita's 960x544 native resolution (some games on Vita don't even run at the native resolution, but downscale the resolution and other features to ensure optimal gameplay.)

Have you seen the Wii U version of MH3U? Apparently it runs at like, 40fps. Pretty bad

Given that the game is running at 1920x1080 and is running on hardware that is essentially the equivalence or less of that of the Xbox 360.

It's not native 1080p, and the Wii U is stronger than the 360.

Not according to the memory clock speeds of the WiiU when compared to PS3 and 360 and the game does run at 1080p native instead of upscaled (similar to Portable 3rd for PS3 but now with dynamic shadows, improved shaders, and a properly scaled HUD)

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/02/monster-hunter-3-ultimate-for-wii-u-is-in-1080p-with-linear-pcm-5-1-surround-sound/
---
PSN: US: Spud_Commando | JP: zeldaking3
3DS FC: 4055 - 3299 - 4026
#82gransPosted 2/26/2013 4:22:59 PM
I'm talking of the resolution concerning software NATIVE to those systems. You can't deny that DS games look BEST on a DS considering the blurry and low grade resolution of the 3DS when playing DS games. Everyone already knows the 3DS has the better graphics.

Also consider the fact that the 3DS' blur filter, which is NOT present on the DSes, will degrade its visuals naturally no matter WHAT is played.

I think simply paying attention to the obvious makes the typical techno babble you guys are accustomed to moot.

DS games still run at the same resolution on the 3DS as they did on DS when played unstretched (when stretched, they're scaled to 320x240 for each screen). The blur filter is not present when unstretched and the game displays in the same exact physical resolution as the original DS (256x192 pixels). It displays in a small screen because the normal 3DS has a much higher pixel density than the original DS (3DS XL has pixel density probably closer to the original DS, still has higher resolution though).

While you might have the personal preference to play the games on a larger screen size (a fair preference), or prefer to play on a DS or DSi, the games still aren't rendering in worse resolution when you play in unstretched mode on 3DS. What you are referring to is not resolution. It's similar to playing on a GBA SP versus a GBA Micro, same resolution, smaller screen size. In fact, many people would probably tell you they prefer higher pixel density on their screens. Or at least that the larger you display within the same resolution, the more flaws are going to come through in the image. Try playing 480p content on a tiny little 5 inch screen and it looks fine (pretty darn good in fact considering phone standards just a couple of years ago). The larger the screen you go though, the worse that 480p content is going to look. You're not really going to see the larger display showing you a better picture because the resolution is the same and you're simply enlarging the pixels themselves. Only by upgrading the resolution are you going to see improvement by moving to a larger display.

You are truly backwards if you think comparing screen resolution, simple numbers is "techno babble". It doesn't take a genius to tell you that 400x240 is greater than 256x192. Doesn't even take an average intelligence adult either. Even an average intelligence kindergarten or first grade student can readily and easily tell you that 400 is greater than 256.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#83Icecreamdunwich(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 4:29:19 PM
I definitely notice the pixel and color difference when going from my Vita to my 3DS XL, but it doesn't make me enjoy the games even less.

It's a shame that some beautiful looking games like MH3U and Revelations are not being utilized at a decent resolution when phones/tablets these days are 1280x720 or even higher now.

But then again, the low resolution can help push the maximum graphical output within the 3DS (MH3U being an enhanced port of a Wii game and runs at 40-60FPS with dynamic shadows and improved shaders even with 3D enabled, something that the Wii version could not achieve.) due to the low resolution having less tax than Vita's 960x544 native resolution (some games on Vita don't even run at the native resolution, but downscale the resolution and other features to ensure optimal gameplay.)

Have you seen the Wii U version of MH3U? Apparently it runs at like, 40fps. Pretty bad

Given that the game is running at 1920x1080 and is running on hardware that is essentially the equivalence or less of that of the Xbox 360.

It's not native 1080p, and the Wii U is stronger than the 360.

Not according to the memory clock speeds of the WiiU when compared to PS3 and 360 and the game does run at 1080p native instead of upscaled (similar to Portable 3rd for PS3 but now with dynamic shadows, improved shaders, and a properly scaled HUD)

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/02/monster-hunter-3-ultimate-for-wii-u-is-in-1080p-with-linear-pcm-5-1-surround-sound/

I stand corrected. And there is more to strength than just memory clock speeds.
#84Starwars4JPosted 2/26/2013 4:51:44 PM
With the 3DS doing so well with sales and amazing software the trolls really have to reach to find something to whine about these days :) It's pretty amusing
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#85zelda_king3Posted 2/26/2013 4:57:39 PM

The GPU clock speeds are lower than the 360/PS3 and the CPU clock is slightly lower than 360 in addition to the lower memory speeds than 360/PS3. However, that doesn't mean that the Wii U isn't a weak console hardware wise. If developers are able to utilize the hardware properly, then we can see improved details or better frame rate optimizations. Hence why MH3U on WiiU may run at an uncapped framerate but only output around an average of 40F PS, it could have been that Capcom would have settled with making a playable port instead of focusing on the game running at 60 FPS.

http://gamingbolt.com/wii-u-cpu-and-gpu-clock-speeds-revealed-slower-than-ps3360

At least MH3U on WiiU looks nice for a 3DS port when compared to Portable 3rd on PS3 (http://images.wikia.com/monsterhunter/images/f/f5/MH3U_HD_vs_MHP3rd_HD.jpeg)
---
#86crimsonclaw111Posted 2/26/2013 5:06:38 PM
I don't really care about the resolution (though it is jarring at times). My biggest issue is that the screen is way too dark compared to other devices, making it hard to see in bright light.
---
XBL GT: roboitoam
#87Icecreamdunwich(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 5:30:08 PM

The GPU clock speeds are lower than the 360/PS3 and the CPU clock is slightly lower than 360 in addition to the lower memory speeds than 360/PS3. However, that doesn't mean that the Wii U isn't a weak console hardware wise. If developers are able to utilize the hardware properly, then we can see improved details or better frame rate optimizations. Hence why MH3U on WiiU may run at an uncapped framerate but only output around an average of 40F PS, it could have been that Capcom would have settled with making a playable port instead of focusing on the game running at 60 FPS.

http://gamingbolt.com/wii-u-cpu-and-gpu-clock-speeds-revealed-slower-than-ps3360

At least MH3U on WiiU looks nice for a 3DS port when compared to Portable 3rd on PS3 (http://images.wikia.com/monsterhunter/images/f/f5/MH3U_HD_vs_MHP3rd_HD.jpeg)

The GPU may be clocked lower it also supports more modern things that aren't possible on the 360/PS3. As far as CPU goes there is more to it than just clock speed. The Wii U is without a doubt stronger than the PS3 and 360.
#88NeonYoshi11Posted 2/26/2013 5:48:15 PM
GoldenJoe24 posted...
As an iOS developer, yeah. It's pretty shocking to see just how bad stills and text look on this thing. Granted, once you start playing, you don't really notice, and I'll take gameplay over graphics any day (obviously if I'm on a 3DS), but it's still a bit of a shame to think that these great games probably won't upscale very well on future systems.

Maybe they could be re-released in combo remake packs.
#89zelda_king3Posted 2/26/2013 6:14:31 PM
The GPU may be clocked lower it also supports more modern things that aren't possible on the 360/PS3. As far as CPU goes there is more to it than just clock speed. The Wii U is without a doubt stronger than the PS3 and 360.

More to it than what? Educate me.
---
#90Icecreamdunwich(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 6:22:58 PM

More to it than what? Educate me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megahertz_myth