Anyone one else tired of the Mario franchise?

#1BassGSXPosted 2/26/2013 3:42:43 AM
From linear characters with no personalities or development, constant and cliche rehashed plots and over saturating branching out into many genres of play just milk the series for all its worth.

The only time I enjoyed a Mario title legitimately was back on the NES and SNES.
#2SMASHKING84Posted 2/26/2013 3:44:08 AM
no.
as long as the game is fun it doesn't need to be a genre buster.
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon
ignored users:quiet is good,attack a horse,and razieru
#3aamotPosted 2/26/2013 3:47:09 AM
Kinda. Well, I'm getting tired of the New Super Mario series. I still really love the various Mario RPG series. I just wish they had a different mentality for their current platforming games.
---
"I dare you to make less sense."
#4Bass_X0Posted 2/26/2013 3:48:53 AM
No. It has its ups and downs, even now. But I wouldn't want it to go away.

Plus, its not just platformers. Its a wide variety of different genres.
---
"History always favors the victor at the expense of the truth." ~ Rook
#5toad133Posted 2/26/2013 3:50:46 AM
Not for me. Mario is still fun, very easy to pick up and just get into. I'd rather play it for fantastic gameplay as opposed to character development or an original plot.
---
Not changing this sig till Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon is announced for VC.
Started: 16th of August 2008 13:27pm.
#6Bass_X0Posted 2/26/2013 3:52:59 AM
toad133 posted...
Not for me. Mario is still fun, very easy to pick up and just get into. I'd rather play it for fantastic gameplay as opposed to character development or an original plot.

Can't we have both fantastic gameplay and character development / original plot?
---
#7m0986-8Posted 2/26/2013 3:54:12 AM
I only care for Mario Kart and Mario and Luigi games. The rest I can't stand
---
Black 2 FC: 2237-6383-5599
AMD Athlon II Quad Core 3.0GHZ | HD 5770 | 4GB RAM
#8BassGSX(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 3:58:21 AM
Bass_X0 posted...
toad133 posted...

Can't we have both fantastic gameplay and character development / original plot?

The problem with the Nintendo philosophy (it's also done in Zelda and Pokemon) is that they want YOU to be the "character" of the story. Which is why they have a habit of either creating these hallow protagonists or character casts. As for Mario, you can argue it's nice for the game play aspect. But even that's so redundant. A real story, with real dialogue might instill some enthrall and stimulation into a bland concept.
#9Bass_X0Posted 2/26/2013 4:09:47 AM
Even the very first Super Mario Bros. cartoons have had deeper plots and characterisation than the games today. And they ripped-off the stories to popular movies, fairy tales and other literature.
---
#10iMURDAuPosted 2/26/2013 4:26:25 AM
Yeah lets have Nintendo add cutscenes and FMV to Mario. That way we can complain about bad plot and broken pacing.

Platformers don't need a drawn out story to be successful. Mega Man games had enough story to say oh yeah Dr. Wily is at it again or who is the mysterious Dr. Cossack.

If you add story to the Mario series it instantly becomes a ripoff of Ninja Gaiden circa 1989.

And judging on sales figues I'd say most people haven't tired of Mario.

I just wish they'd make a more fleshed out portable 2D game. The best levels in New SMB 2 imo was the classic coin rush pack. So many secrets to find in those 3 levels. If the rest of the game had that level design it'd probably be even more successful.
---
Make the worst possible retailer an exclusive for a masterpiece game.. It's like putting Rolex into a Walmart."
-LordClyde on Gamestop selling Xenoblade