As a fan, it really bothers me how poor the graphics on 3DS are.

#11legionofpancakePosted 2/26/2013 9:55:40 AM
LinktoDrink posted...
We're seeing all these great games coming out for the system, which is awesome. It has reached its prime. But the graphics are just so lousy. I mean Luigi's Mansion looks all jaggy and gross... much worse than the original did on Gamecube. Handhelds should be able to meet the graphics from 2 generations ago, but 3DS cannot. The jaggies in the screenshots of Pokemon X/Y make me want to cry. Why are they so far behind?

The videos online always suck. Ocarina of Time looked all jaggy and crappy in some trailers, but the actual game is pretty fantastic. Don't blame the 3DS on internet videos.
---
Well, Courtney Gears didn't seem to mind.
Sonic for Hire= Greatest web series I've ever seen.
#12Willie_MakeitPosted 2/26/2013 9:57:57 AM
ROFL. This topic made me laugh.
---
Sig.
#13nonexistingheroPosted 2/26/2013 9:58:14 AM
teamaquashock posted...
Because videos from the internet blow up the 3DS screen images so it's a little zoomed and make it look Jagged.

It's not entirely because of that. Developers generally just aren't trying to push the system graphically. Maybe we'll see some new games after E3. MGS3D looks fairly good, but it ran like crap. Above PS2-level though, as far as graphical quality goes. Kid Icarus: Uprising has a beautiful art-style, but the performance is the most impressive about the game. Resident Evil: Revelations has mindblowing graphics for a 3DS game. When playing it, it often feels like you're playing a PS3/360 game.

Anyhow, nothing else we've seen so far comes close to these 3 games. I would love to see some more devs pushing the system.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#14zavlinzPosted 2/26/2013 9:58:15 AM
warning: when someone feels the need to remind you they are a fan, theyr probably coming from a place of bias.
#15Halladay32Posted 2/26/2013 9:59:10 AM
Graphics are fine for the games I've played, but graphics from a technical standpoint are perhaps my lowest consideration when playing a game. I don't care about the number of polygons or textures or whatever as long as it looks good from an artistic and interesting perspective.
---
"A man who lived in dreams. That's who he was."
#16boysrus72Posted 2/26/2013 10:03:26 AM
zavlinz posted...
warning: when someone feels the need to remind you they are a fan, theyr probably coming from a place of bias.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but everyone comes from a place of bias, fan or not. If they're a fan of something, they are biased. If they're not a fan of something, they are biased. It's kind of impossible to be unbiased.
---
Think about it.
#17LHS_2012Posted 2/26/2013 10:27:23 AM
LinktoDrink posted...
http://cdn.gamerant.com/wp-content/uploads/Pokemon-X-Y-Screenshots-2.jpg

Just look at that.

Look at it.

N64 had less jaggies.

Well, it's sprite work so I don't know what you are expecting.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_N_WTiMga4
#18gransPosted 2/26/2013 10:37:56 AM

Just look at that.

Look at it.

N64 had less jaggies.

I am by no means one to praise Pokemon X/Y's graphics, but you're not doing your argument any favors by using screenshots blown up to twice their original size. Try playing any pre-HD game on a big screen HDTV and you'll get a similar effect (including N64 or even the PS2/GC era of games). There are also numerous 3DS games that have far better graphics than Pokemon.

N64 games you should take another look at by the way. I still play them to this day and while I really do love that era of games and in some cases even have an illogical fondness for the way they look, the overwhelming majority of them are objectively a blurry muddy mess that tend to run as bad as they look. N64 games in particular and other early 3D games aged rather poorly from a graphical perspective. Not just because of their old tech, but primarily due to in general neglecting a decent art style. There are few exceptions (Kirby 64 comes to mind, still sporting a clean and appealing style despite not being the most technically impressive games on the N64 and having somewhat simplistic graphics).

And as critical as I am of the visuals Pokemon X/Y and how it's doing nothing special with the 3DS hardware, I at least see they're putting some thought into the way the game appears on a stylistic level.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#19Number43Posted 2/26/2013 10:50:01 AM
Most images you see online of 3DS games are at a much higher resolution than the actual 3DS screen. When you blow up an image like that it will have jaggies no matter what.
#20thatmovingbushPosted 2/26/2013 10:56:08 AM
teamaquashock posted...
Because videos from the internet blow up the 3DS screen images so it's a little zoomed and make it look Jagged.

---
Only stupid people make generalizations. No exceptions.
FC: 0516-7339-8901