How is the system for racing games? I'm torn between this and a Vita.

#1MlREFOXPosted 2/26/2013 11:10:21 AM
I am currently really torn over purchasing a 3DS or a Vita. One of my favorite genres is racing and the appeal of Gran Turismo and Most Wanted on the Vita is high. But I also love Nintendo's IPs, especially Pokemon. Aside from Mario Kart, which I will get, how is the 3DS for the racing genre (either DS or 3DS games)?
#2SalsaSavantPosted 2/26/2013 11:12:52 AM
There's an awful port of that Sonic racing game, Mario Kart...and yeah, I think that's about it. I have trouble recommending the Vita, but if you want racing games so badly and they are the key to your decision, then I guess that's the system for you. But consider both first because the Vita is having numerous library issues right now.
---
Not changing this until something impossible happens
Started 12/02/12
#3Darth RustitoPosted 2/26/2013 11:35:55 AM
There's a 3DS version of F1 2011 but I'm not sure how good it is.
---
Be safe at night--sleep with a cop.
#4ss4gogeta_darkPosted 2/26/2013 11:52:51 AM
Mario kart 7 is about all the good racing you can get on here. All the others are kind of bleh.
---
FX 8150 @ 4.4ghz|MSI 7970 Lightning|MSI 990fxa-gd80|G.skill 1600mhz| W7Ux64
FCs in contacts.
#5xIvan321Posted 2/26/2013 1:06:47 PM(edited)
There is plenty of racing games on the 3DS, but the only 2 racing games are online. (Mario Kart 7 and Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed) I enjoyed Transformed a lot more than Mario Kart 7 because all there is in Mario Kart 7 is Grand Prix, Time Attack, and online play. There is a big problem I had with online play for Mario Kart 7. There are these things called "communities" its not something you would expect, but if you expect to play private games (1v1s or a game less than 8 players) you will need create more than one of these communities which require even more friend codes other than your system's friend codes. My online pals had trouble staying connected to these rooms, they disconnected them a lot even on stable connections. If you simply do not care for online racing games but still want a solid racing game I'd say choose between Ridge Racer 3D or Asphalt 3D.

*Edit* I just did some research and I found a Need For Speed game for the 3DS with online play.
---
3DS FC:4425-1580-1611. Former MPH player of the KI:U board.
3DS chat: http://xat.com/mph93 SKYPE: xIvan321_
#6SosdocPosted 2/26/2013 1:16:55 PM
Vita has wipeout 2048 which is pretty good, it's got a great online with cross play on ps3 and buying a dlc gives you the same content as wipeout HD. There's also need for speed, I hear it's pretty close to the console/PC version.

Though, if I were you I'd wait more, maybe look around for deals so you may end up with both portables without spending too much.
#7zergslayer69Posted 2/26/2013 1:27:59 PM
As a owner of both systems the vita wins hands down for racing titles. Mario kart is the only decent one on the 3ds. Vita has wipe out, sonic all stars, ridge racer, need for speed most wanted, and I feel like I'm forgetting another. If racing is what you want, then vita is the recommendation. Also if you want fighters that's the system to get. Now if you want other genres then that may change the outcome.
---
PSN - zergslayer69
Friend Code - 3909 8848 9513
#8Willie_MakeitPosted 2/26/2013 2:37:34 PM
I've only played Mario Kart and I think it sucked, but a lot of people would disagree with me on that one. Those blue shells and the idiots online killed any chance of that even being remotely good.
---
Sig.
#9ss4gogeta_darkPosted 2/26/2013 2:40:06 PM
zergslayer69 posted...
As a owner of both systems the vita wins hands down for racing titles. Mario kart is the only decent one on the 3ds. Vita has wipe out, sonic all stars, ridge racer, need for speed most wanted, and I feel like I'm forgetting another. If racing is what you want, then vita is the recommendation. Also if you want fighters that's the system to get. Now if you want other genres then that may change the outcome.

I don't even own a PSV and mod nation was the first to mind.
---
FX 8150 @ 4.4ghz|MSI 7970 Lightning|MSI 990fxa-gd80|G.skill 1600mhz| W7Ux64
FCs in contacts.
#10aak57Posted 2/26/2013 2:41:31 PM

Agreed with this post.
---
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg