Can anyone summarize 999's story for me? (Spoilers allowed)

#1KneekickerPosted 2/26/2013 7:20:13 PM
I went to pick up my pre-ordered copy of EO IV today at EB Games and it seems that they restocked on Virtue's Last Reward. My friend who was looking for the game for months asked me to pick it up for him if I ever got a hold of it so I got VLR along with EO IV. He seems to be enjoying it but he got a letter a week ago saying that his sister-in law is giving birth so he is going to back to Hong Kong for 2 months to help take care of the babies (sister-in law gave birth to twins).
He called me saying that he doesn't mind if I play VLR before he gets back, unfortunately the back says that old characters from 999 return to join the new characters which most likely meant that I need prior knowledge of 999 which I don't have...
Can anyone summarize the story and the characters for me without spoiling anything from VLR?
---
3DS Friend Code: 3179-6117-3933 PSN: ansonip2000
Official Take-Mikazuchi of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#2CHOVI3Posted 2/26/2013 7:21:32 PM
Well, you're stuck in a ship that's slowly getting filled with water and you have to solve a series of puzzles to get out.
---
Please feed the trolls, they make this boards more lively.
3DS FC: 3566-1571-6130 Now playing Persona 3 Portable
#3GreenSF49Posted 2/26/2013 7:23:38 PM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/961351-nine-hours-nine-persons-nine-doors/faqs/61405

No need to thank me.
---
SanFran----SanAnton
49ers-------Spurs
#41upsuperPosted 2/26/2013 7:23:50 PM
It's very worth tracking down a copy and experiencing it yourself. Just knowing the big plot points won't really do you anything in regards to connecting with the returning characters in VLR.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/1upsuper
#5surferguy7Posted 2/26/2013 7:34:42 PM
Theoretically, you could play and understand 90% of VLR without playing 999, but you'll get a much fuller experience if you just play 999 for yourself. It's a solid $20 off of Amazon right now.
---
This is the internet, all opinions are considered invalid.
#6NettoSaitoPosted 2/26/2013 7:39:31 PM(edited)
Actually, why don't you just watch a full playthrough of it on youtube? Really the story isn't one you'd want to just be summarized.... Might as well take 15 or so hours and watch it for yourself.

If you don't play 999 for yourself/see the plot twists for yourself, you're really going to miss out on quite a bit about VLR. One part of VLR was so shocking, I felt all of the blood drain out of my face lol. If you don't play 999 first, that isn't going to happen/you wont understand it at all.
---
3DS FC - [1203-9218-7780] | XBL - [NettoSaito] | PSN - [NettoSaito] | Nintendo Network - [NettoSaito]
Netto's Game Room - http://nettosgameroom.blogspot.com/
#7SoeroahPosted 2/26/2013 7:44:18 PM
I would really recommend playing 999 if it's at all possible. Though, EB Games...Are you in Australia? If so the game may be hard to come by as it wasn't released in Australia. You can play 999 on any 3DS though as DS games aren't region locked.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ9Km7WW2aE
Best console war summary ever. TL;DR version at 2:05.
#8TheloPronoeoPosted 2/26/2013 7:48:46 PM
Like everyone else has said, it's much better if you can watch video's of it or something.

I just got done with 999 this weekend and am now waiting for VLR from gamefly. 999 was one of the first games in a long time that I couldn't put down.
#9Gogo726Posted 2/26/2013 7:54:08 PM
If you're interested, I'm selling all my DS games on ebay, and 999 is one of them. I could send you the link if you'd like.
---
Jackass Thompson doesn't approve of Wii Music. He's on a crusade to put an end to sax and violins in games
#10Kneekicker(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 7:55:53 PM
GreenSF49 posted...
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/961351-nine-hours-nine-persons-nine-doors/faqs/61405

No need to thank me.

That faq listed nothing but instructions to get the endings which doesn't help me much, the guy even said it was suppposed to be bare-bones.

surferguy7 posted...
Theoretically, you could play and understand 90% of VLR without playing 999, but you'll get a much fuller experience if you just play 999 for yourself. It's a solid $20 off of Amazon right now.

My parents would kill me if they found out I ordered something from the internet... They have forbidden me from ordering anything from the internet until I'm married because they dropped me on the head once when I was a baby and ever since then they treated me like a disabled kid with brain damage even though doctors said I was perfectly fine...

NettoSaito posted...
Actually, why don't you just watch a full playthrough of it on youtube? Really the story isn't one you'd want to just be summarized.... Might as well take 15 or so hours and watch it for yourself.

For some reason Youtube takes at least 45 minutes to load a 5 minute video for me, imagine an entire playthrough... Ain't nobody got time for that!
---
3DS Friend Code: 3179-6117-3933 PSN: ansonip2000
Official Take-Mikazuchi of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.