Should I get Dream Drop Distance for 28 bucks?

#1RocketomyPosted 2/27/2013 5:16:21 PM
It's brand new. I'm a fan of the series though I still haven't played KHII nor 358 Days, and Re:coded.

I did play Birth By Sleep last year and that blew me away. Should I get it now or wait a while for a price drop and some extra time to play other KH titles? Do KH titles even get good price drops? I mean 358 Days is still 25 bucks new at Gamestop.
#2chronobreak736Posted 2/27/2013 5:19:25 PM
That's not a bad price for it, although recent sales have had it much cheaper. Best Buy had to for $20 a couple weeks back. I paid $40 at launch and loved it. It's a really solid RPG for a handheld. Go for it. You won't regret it!
---
3DS: 1762-2990-4861 Xbox Live Gamertag: TheAltimusPrime
Nintendo Network ID: TheBatman
#3Magikoopa21Posted 2/27/2013 5:19:57 PM
I recently got it on sale for $20 from I think Best Buy, wait until you see it at that price again.
#4adonfrazPosted 2/27/2013 5:20:06 PM
Best Buy had it for 20 bucks a month or so ago.
---
"I wanted another ad where LeBron says "Like a good neighbor State Farm is there, with a clutch gene!" - Skip Bayless
Xbox GT: Loyal Catalyst
#5Darkstorm16Posted 2/27/2013 5:20:51 PM
I bought it knowing what i was getting into. Other than the slightly annoying Drop System i friggin love the hell outta this game. Definetly a steal at this price. You dont have to get the ds ones because they have reports in the game about them, but its fun to live the experience.
---
Own a Vita, your a troll, own a 3ds, your a fanboy, own an IOS device, you have no opinion...tis the curse on these boards.
#6adonfrazPosted 2/27/2013 5:20:56 PM
Magikoopa21 posted...
I recently got it on sale for $20 from I think Best Buy, wait until you see it at that price again.

>_<

*ninja'd*
---
"I wanted another ad where LeBron says "Like a good neighbor State Farm is there, with a clutch gene!" - Skip Bayless
Xbox GT: Loyal Catalyst
#7warmilkPosted 2/27/2013 5:21:25 PM
I've seen it on sale for $15 but its up to you. I personally don't think its worth that price especially not full price ( which is what I paid)

Dont get me wrong though, its a good game but but not as good as the previous entries. What really made me dislike it was the Drop system and the Dream Eaters
---
I only exist.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/warmilk/
#8gransPosted 2/27/2013 5:41:53 PM(edited)
The gameplay is considerably better than BBS. Odds are likely that if you enjoyed BBS' gameplay, you'll like DDD even better. There are some tweaks here and there, but it basically uses the same type of combat system with the command deck. Movement is a lot faster and more fluid now thanks to more tight and responsive controls, naturally quicker paced character movement and combat moves as well as the inclusion of the new flowmotion mechanic. Flowmotion lets you move around levels with great agility and speed, very fun to just run around and explore stuff now. And speaking of levels, they're far larger and much less linear than the levels in BBS. There aren't as many worlds as BBS, but the ones that are there are massive (for KH standards) and intricately designed.

I'd highly recommend the game at any price as I paid the full amount ($40) and still felt the game was well worth it. The plot takes some controversial turns that some fans may or may not appreciate. Didn't bother me at all personally, i'm already used to the series' various twists and strange turns (and one of the major plot twists was basically already foreshadowed in a secret boss in BBS anyways). The gameplay was what sold me, this is currently my favorite game in the series in regards to gameplay. I'm not sure how well it will work for a newcomer to the series or someone who has skipped some of the games, but you unlock story summaries of previous KH games as you play through the game.

KH2 is the most important plot-relevant game you've missed. ReCoded is almost if not completely unimportant. Days is somewhat in the middle (it has some rather important elements but also a fair bit of fluff). If you choose to wait on DDD, play KH2 first as it's the most important game you've missed (if you can somehow get ahold of and have the ability to play the currently Japan-only Final Mix of KH2, I highly recommend you do as it has some very nice improvements over the regular KH2). Days is a bit hit or miss. I enjoyed it somewhat but I don't think it's impossible for someone to just watch some videos of its important plot points and/or read some summaries and figure things out. ReCoded was quite fun from a pure gameplay perspective but it's story is very disconnected and pretty much irrelevant to the rest of the games (so far anyways). One could probably read a couple of sentences about the game and know everything you need.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#9Makeveli_livesPosted 2/27/2013 5:58:10 PM
Best handheld KH to date, and one of the highlights of the system. As stated the drop system is annoying but fixable by just buying items that extend the timer, I liked it a lot more after that. Also the dreameaters suck IMO. I much preferred the Disney companions of the main series but I imagine some legal/copyright BS got in the way of making that happen with the 3DS since it's market isn't as large as the PS3's. Also I personally didn't enjoy the majority of the Disney worlds themselves but thats different for everyone based on taste.

That being said I bought it full retail on release date and it's my favorite game on the 3DS out of the 15 (retail) that I've played so far with the exception of Fire Emblem.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 1292 6142 0263
3DS FC: 0087 2410 1340
#10Zechs23Posted 2/27/2013 6:03:15 PM
grans posted...
The gameplay is considerably better than BBS. Odds are likely that if you enjoyed BBS' gameplay, you'll like DDD even better.

Eh, I prefer BBS. I hate having to rely on those dream pets to learn abilities.
But anyways, for 28 bucks, definately get DDD.
---
3DS FC: 0619-3034-0578