Ace Combat is pretty good...

#1POOKISTANPosted 2/28/2013 9:16:27 AM
After how great Pilotwings was, especially at showing off the 3D capabilities of the DS, I was happy to hear there was another flight simulator on the 3DS. Well, the 3D is not as good as Pilotwings (I think that's 'cuz you tend to fly at much lower altitudes in Pilotwings) but, yeah - I'm surprised with how good it is. I haven't played through an Ace Combat game since PS2 but I'm really enjoying this and think it's pretty cool they have a currency/experience system for unlocking more airplanes and equipment...
#2esoteric42Posted 2/28/2013 10:09:17 AM
I like it better than StarFox 64 and Pilot Wings, but for me, nothing beats the original StarFox on the Super Nintendo.
---
US 3DS Friend Code: 4511-0481-8141
JPN 3DS Friend Code: 1778-9984-3124
#3DarkstarRipclawPosted 2/28/2013 5:37:11 PM
Considering how SF64 was pretty much the exact same game even with all their mentions of a remake (and stripped-out multiplayer), I picked this game up instead since at least it was new to me.

Not a bad choice.
---
Wish Upon a Darkstar
Owner of Board 822, Gensokyo
#4ferofaxPosted 2/28/2013 5:49:25 PM
I dunno about altitudes though, as I'm pretty sure some planes can easily reach the 10,000ft before you start stalling (not sure if that's the top game altitude before it forces you to stall, been a while since I've played).
---
pardon if my posts suck, i post by tapping on the handset button on a one-way analog handset. i saw Hannibal Lecter do it.
#5Mega_RatPosted 2/28/2013 6:37:40 PM
ferofax posted...
I dunno about altitudes though, as I'm pretty sure some planes can easily reach the 10,000ft before you start stalling (not sure if that's the top game altitude before it forces you to stall, been a while since I've played).

Yeah, some planes handle altitude much better. It all ties in more of how much thrust power you can shoot out.

Faster planes usually go up higher. Also, always better to go at an angle than straight up if you want the highest.
---
My wonderful girlfriend is a smexy Bunuppy! A cross breed of a bunny and a puppy .. WHAT! O_O
http://i.imgur.com/nddzs.jpg <- My name in a game (MSFHD)! :D
#6DarkstarRipclawPosted 2/28/2013 9:53:25 PM
Mega_Rat, are there any games you and I have played that the other has not?!

Also, w/rt to plane stalls, working off of Mission 08 data I gathered, your plane can stall out at as low as around 7,000m above sea level, but you can get up to 10,000m still if you go up at an angle as opposed to a straight climb.

You have a vertical bar on the far left side of the top screen during gameplay. When you accelerate your engine with the R button, it fills out, but if you are braking with the L button or you use L + R together for a quick turn then it drops quickly, and it drops at a very slow pace if you are neither accelerating or braking.

And yes, I now have a guide for this game too! Damn, I get around. Story missions only right now, but I expect to be able to finish up the rest once I have a day off.
---
Wish Upon a Darkstar
#7Mega_RatPosted 2/28/2013 10:02:33 PM
DarkstarRipclaw posted...
Mega_Rat, are there any games you and I have played that the other has not?!

Umm ... I'd show you all of my DS collection but to lazy. xD

Anyways, got this game day one, I mean who doesn't love Ace Combat!? Although the quick maneuvers make the game easy. I beat it on Ace Difficulty without it, just plain AC! :D
---
My wonderful girlfriend is a smexy Bunuppy! A cross breed of a bunny and a puppy .. WHAT! O_O
#8DarkstarRipclawPosted 2/28/2013 10:05:24 PM
Maybe I should con you into writing some guides. I am only one man after all, a man who works up to 3000 hours a year!
---
Wish Upon a Darkstar
#9Mega_RatPosted 2/28/2013 10:09:15 PM
Lol, I'll help you write one for MSF 2 if you'd like.

I need a lot of time to get a general path for all levels first though. xD
---
#10DarkstarRipclawPosted 2/28/2013 10:32:05 PM
You do not need my help to write a guide! You can pretty much rip off my MSF format and write your own guide for the sequel from scratch.
---
Wish Upon a Darkstar