To anyone turned off by Monster Hunter's demo, combat is only half the game

#61jumper1234Posted 3/2/2013 1:28:19 AM
TehTrumpCard posted...
Not getting it. I tried MHFU and didn't enjoy the cheapness that was large monster's terrible hitboxes. (Getting OHKO'ed without physically touching half of the bosses was no fun).

However, that doesn't mean that the MH doesn't have flaws like any other series.

Pointing out flaws in a game =/= being bad at the game.
It means you want the game to be better/more accessible. In the case of MH, people want something a bit more accessible with possible some more well polished features (i.e. not not having to claw for camera+movement).

Tap Monster Icon on bottom right-hand corner of screen then tap the L-button to point camera at Target Monster. It helps alot believe me, I was thinking of not getting it either, then I went and Pre-ordered it!
---
Waiting for: Terraria (XBLA)
3DS FC: 3652-1930-9604 (PM me your fc if you add me)
#62chrishu311Posted 3/2/2013 1:53:05 AM
It just sold me on the idea that the game has really bad controls. I'll just hold off until I get a WiiU.
---
"Nothing is perfect. The world turns on a tilted axis just doing the best it can, and that's what makes it so damn beautiful." --Roy Mustang
#63Godstriker8Posted 3/2/2013 2:01:09 AM
AboveAllFear posted...
Godstriker8 posted...
I didn't even try the new demo lol, just a PSP demo. Never claimed I was good at Monster Hunter either, seeing as I only played it for likr 10 minutes. Doesn't seem like that hard of a game, just not fun to play.

You played for 10 minutes, of course it's not going to be hard yet. Also how can you gauge how fun a game is when you've only played 10 minutes?

Do you not understand the purpose of a demo? To communicate the fun of a game within a very short period of time to make you buy the game. If it failed to do that, why the hell would I go out and buy any MH game? Also I felt I had to point out the ease of the demo, because that other guy was crying about how not liking a game = being bad at it.
---
I'm just dickin aroouunnnd
SHAKE AND BAKE!
#64IcewitchPosted 3/2/2013 2:10:24 AM
Godstriker8 posted...
Do you not understand the purpose of a demo? To communicate the fun of a game within a very short period of time to make you buy the game. If it failed to do that, why the hell would I go out and buy any MH game? Also I felt I had to point out the ease of the demo, because that other guy was crying about how not liking a game = being bad at it.

I agree that the demo didn't really do a very good job. But by the same token, as a huge MH fan myself, I wonder if its even possible to create an attention-grabbing demo for MH. The enjoyability of MH is not something that is easily conveyed in a 10 minute play session.

It is definitely the kind of game that pays off long term, and has a steep learning curve with many mundane tasks that must be overcome before you are able to chomp into the meat of the game. I wish there was a quick and easy way to show someone just what makes the game so fun, but unfortunately it requires a heavy time investment before its possible to truly make a judgment on how you feel about it.

Kind of like Dark Souls. I mean, if you just played the Undead Asylum and killed the Asylum Demon, you'd probably come off with an impression that the game was easy and had sluggish controls + a confusing stat system. Yet over the next 5-10 hours of gameplay, you start to realize just what makes Dark Souls so amazing, and how all of the game mechanics fuse together to create a brilliant game experience. I don't think a demo could ever do Dark Souls justice. There's just no way to distill what makes Dark Souls one of the best games of all time into a 15 minute play session.

And IMO, the same goes for Monster Hunter.
---
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Coming March 19 to Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U
#65Wynters387Posted 3/2/2013 5:36:18 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]