You guys are nuts! Castlevania Mirror of Fate is awesome

#21Robot_SoopaPosted 3/2/2013 7:08:00 AM
OoSubaruoO posted...
There's really not much of a difference here, all they did was boost enemies HP a bit more, because you do more damage in these games. Find better reasons to hate on this game.

When you've got an extremely shallow combat system with no depth you can't afford to have enemies taking tons of hits. It ends up feeling tedious and gets old fast. In older Castlevania games the terrain and enemy placement factored into how you handled them. In this a group of enemies spawn in front of you on a flat plain and you mash out a ton of repetitive combos until they're dead. All semblance of strategy or challenge has been removed.

I recognize debilitating flaws in the game. The fact that it doesn't bother you doesn't make them any less legitimate. Game sucks.
#22Voelger(Topic Creator)Posted 3/2/2013 7:17:55 AM
I disagree with you fellas. I think it will be one of the best 3ds titles. It will be a must own for system owners. I think It might become my 2nd favorite 3ds game. I know I have high hopes, but there are no other games on 3ds like this one.

What a great month for 3ds owners
First fire emblem, now Castlevania, and then luigi's mansion
---
Mythlogic-Pollux 1612, Clevo P150em, i7-3720QM, 2GB GTX 680m, 16g DDR3, 128 MSata drive, 750 7200rpm HDD
PowerFAQs 1.10
#23RyuVegasPosted 3/2/2013 7:56:52 AM
Man there sure is a lot of can address here... I don't even know where to begin.

legionofpancake posted...
Not in my opinion. In that demo there was platforming reminiscent of older Castlevania games, it looked like there were at least three places inaccessible unless you acquire a skill from a later point of the game and backtracking in the "Metroidvania" style gameplay. Slower, but precises combat that barely resembles God of War, a so far plain soundtrack, and a dude with a very small head. But it is your opinion and I can't change it.

Voelger posted...
The game looks great, plays great. Has new and unique bosses. It has great dodging mechanic, and animations. The frame rate is not that bad. It's a demo so hopefully the frame rate will get better, but it really is only slightly noticeable during cut scenes not during gameplay. The puzzles, platforming, and combat are done really well.

And now the developer is claiming the game is long.

I'm excited

So first off, both of these comments on the game say 1 thing very loudly to me: NONE of you guys have even played Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. Y'know, the console game that this spinoff is derived from? I only say this because had any of you played it you would notice that the complaints being lodged at Mirror of Fate? Are EXACTLY Mercury Steam's Developer MO. Like... to a T.

Lords of Shadow is one of my favorite games of all time. Yea, of all freakin' time. You will probably never meet a more fanatical person about that game than me. I know everything there is to know about that game, and probably more than I should know about that game. And every point people are ragging on Mirror of Fate about? Is somehow being ragged on because Mirror of Fate isn't the next Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, or Order of Eccelsia. Well no f***ing s***: It is a Lords of Shadow game. Hell it is even being made by Mercury Steam themselves, which is rare for a spinoff of a game.

You can even call out the framerate problems as being their MO. Why? Because they did it in Lords of Shadow: They Sacrificed framerate to maximize graphical detail and fidelity. They even outright came and said it and pointed out where it was in the game, yet I 100% that game and I can assure you that the framerate, while it dropped, NEVER ONCE dropped in a place of importance, when you needed framerate steady the most. Another thing Mercury Steam said they strived to make sure wasn't an issue.

Then the combat itself, being called out as "2D God of War" just reeks of some strong DeJaVu as guess what? Lords of Shadow itself is somehow ragged on for being "Too much like God of War." Except I know, much like the TC has deduced(way to go on that, btw, Voelger), that the Slower speed of combat allows for much greater depth as you buy and upgrade your skills from the starting moves. And I bet the amount of Combos greatly outweighs what is the best build, much like in LoS as well. It will probably also be ragged on for apparently "only using one attack and mashing that one" if you are terrible at the game and feel no need to expand your moveset. All that is ripped straight from LoS Originally. Hell even the fact that there is a balance to Combat, Platforming, and Puzzles is 100% Mercury Steam.

Now TC, don't mistake my rantings that I'm against the game: I'm not. I'm 100% for this game. Remember how I said LoS is one of my favorite games of all time? I didn't lie when I stated that. Hell, I keep forgetting that I even have Mirror of Fate on preorder. >_<

And with how many people are "ragging" on MoF for being too much like its console bretheren, this game is going to be Amazing! lol
---
http://backloggery.com/ryuvega NP: Fire Emblem: Awakening
"I've seen Ryu on the MtG board so he's already cooler than most of you." ~ XImperialDragon
#24Mindwipe77Posted 3/2/2013 7:58:40 AM
havent played demo, already pre-ordered and going in blind. I love CV and collect them all. Im sure i will like this one too.
---
Now playing-DCUO, Sonic Transformed,Fire Emblem Awakening
Waiting for-Lightning Returns,Injustice CE,PS4
#25MARl0Posted 3/2/2013 8:01:57 AM
I generally liked the demo as well. It's unfortunate that the frame rate is garbage though. I'll definitely still get the game, but "fluid" the game is most definitely not.
---
Currently playing: Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
#26legionofpancakePosted 3/2/2013 8:14:38 AM(edited)
RyuVegas posted...
Man there sure is a lot of can address here... I don't even know where to begin.

legionofpancake posted...
Not in my opinion. In that demo there was platforming reminiscent of older Castlevania games, it looked like there were at least three places inaccessible unless you acquire a skill from a later point of the game and backtracking in the "Metroidvania" style gameplay. Slower, but precises combat that barely resembles God of War, a so far plain soundtrack, and a dude with a very small head. But it is your opinion and I can't change it.

Voelger posted...
The game looks great, plays great. Has new and unique bosses. It has great dodging mechanic, and animations. The frame rate is not that bad. It's a demo so hopefully the frame rate will get better, but it really is only slightly noticeable during cut scenes not during gameplay. The puzzles, platforming, and combat are done really well.

And now the developer is claiming the game is long.

I'm excited

So first off, both of these comments on the game say 1 thing very loudly to me: NONE of you guys have even played Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. Y'know, the console game that this spinoff is derived from? I only say this because had any of you played it you would notice that the complaints being lodged at Mirror of Fate? Are EXACTLY Mercury Steam's Developer MO. Like... to a T.

Ummm, I played quite a bit of Lords of Shadows when the game first came out, but who effin cares? I don't see that to be relevant. Lords of Shadows was a decent game, but nothing else. It had linearity, insane "God of War" style combos, and some OK platforming. This game only merely borrows the crazy whip and and the art style- which is in my opinion the inevitable artstyle of any Castlevania game released in the future- so claiming I never played Lords of Shadows based on my opinions is pretty dumb. Other than the few similarities, I can draw many differences within the game as I just did. I can see where people are making the complaints, but I cannot draw the parallels. Don't play me for a moron based on my opinions and what you believe they are.
---
Well, Courtney Gears didn't seem to mind.
Sonic for Hire= Greatest web series I've ever seen.
#27LinkMaster2703Posted 3/2/2013 8:13:35 AM
RyuVegas posted...

So you excuse LoS's bad frame rate by saying the developers intended it to be that way? Hahaha, what a joke. They clearly didn't sacrifice anything for "graphical fidelity" because the game doesn't even look good! The fact of the matter is that Mercury Steam is a terrible developer who makes terrible games. LoS was awful on nearly every level and clearly never should have been a Castlevania game. Mirror of Fate is even worse, it's a crappy LoS game masquerading as a real Castlevania. People like you are the reason fans of real Castlevania games are never going to get another one.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/C_Dalke
#28MagiusNecrosPosted 3/2/2013 8:16:51 AM
LinkMaster2703 posted...
RyuVegas posted...

So you excuse LoS's bad frame rate by saying the developers intended it to be that way? Hahaha, what a joke. They clearly didn't sacrifice anything for "graphical fidelity" because the game doesn't even look good! The fact of the matter is that Mercury Steam is a terrible developer who makes terrible games. LoS was awful on nearly every level and clearly never should have been a Castlevania game. Mirror of Fate is even worse, it's a crappy LoS game masquerading as a real Castlevania. People like you are the reason fans of real Castlevania games are never going to get another one.

okay
---
I have always hoped for a BERSERK Final Fantasy Game to be made realized.
Official GILGAMESH of every Gamefaqs Board
#29RyuVegasPosted 3/2/2013 8:28:55 AM
LinkMaster2703 posted...
RyuVegas posted...

I didn't excuse much: I merely pointed out that in the places it counts, the Framerate dropping didn't affect anything. I bet it is the same in MoF. And all the rest you got is "Mercury Steam is a terrible developer" dribble? With nothing backing it up? Much like the hate lobbed at Ninja Theory. Ok got it. You people are the things that are ruining gaming in general.

And you think I'm somehow a fan that makes it so Castlevania "can't get a 'real game?'" Grow the f*** Up. Many Legacy franchises are proving that you can have multiple continuities and multiple different versions of that type of game. Nothing is stopping a developer from going up to Konami and asking them "Hey, we want to make the next Castlevania game." NOTHING. Mercury Steam has made exactly 2 games in the ENTIRE franchise, yet somehow that franchise is "ruined." Haters... they make less sense everyday.
---
http://backloggery.com/ryuvega NP: Fire Emblem: Awakening
"I've seen Ryu on the MtG board so he's already cooler than most of you." ~ XImperialDragon
#30elsmittyPosted 3/2/2013 9:50:59 AM
I really hate that you have that there's no option to use the d-pad.
---
3ds friend code - 5069-4253-9174
steam profile - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198077085301/