need help deciding on buying a GBA SP or Micro. but theres a catch...

#11LiQuiDsWorDs56(Topic Creator)Posted 3/2/2013 12:08:24 PM
Going to a flea market and hopefully they have one at the game stand there
---
i7-930@3.5GHz l Asus P6X58D-E l SLI MSI 3GB GTX 580s l 12gb Dominator l AX850 PSU l H80 l 1Tb 7,200 rpm l 64gb SSD I BD Drive l Obsidian 650D I Alienware Optx
#12dankmanaPosted 3/2/2013 12:53:11 PM
GBA Micro is awesome. I played A Link to the Past for the first time in my life on that handheld and couldn't have been happier.
#13Freelance_WolfPosted 3/2/2013 2:15:12 PM
SP. Micro looks cute and stuff, but it's also very tiny. I doubt I could hold it comfortably in my hand while I am playing it.
---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."
#14esoteric42Posted 3/2/2013 3:23:31 PM
Micro, because it's just cooler. No one knows you're playing a GameBoy, because no one has ever seen a Micro.
---
US 3DS Friend Code: 4511-0481-8141 (Bryan)
JPN 3DS Friend Code: 1778-9984-3124 (Jiro)
#15I_R_WINNERPosted 3/2/2013 3:26:33 PM
SP. I like the design of Micro but its just too small for me.
---
Best tomahawk video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a-VjIlADpo
#16WiiFan77Posted 3/2/2013 3:49:19 PM
I'd go for the Micro, but if you have any intention of playing GBC games, get an SP.
---
Official Ditto of the Pokemon X/Y board.
Official Neko Shogun of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#17GhetsisPosted 3/2/2013 4:02:23 PM
I sold my 20th Anniversary Micro about a year ago for over $100. Which is funny, since I paid that much for it new years ago...

Anyway, they both have their cons. The Micro moreso.

First off, the SP is just an inferior version of the "SP2," which released after the DS, and is pretty much identical except for having a much better screen. The NES-skinned SP isn't an SP2, though, so...you won't have the best SP. What I've seen someone on YouTube do is buy an SP2, take it apart and put it in the casing of the NES-skinned one.

SP has crap shoulder buttons that die fairly frequently (which is a pretty big deal-breaker since most GBA games rely heavily on them,) as well as no headphone jack (you'd have to buy headphones specifically made for the SP, or an adapter.)

The Micro looks very nice, but the screen is significantly smaller, and it is noticeable. This could be either a pro or a con, depending on your tastes. The Micro does have two unarguable downsides, though. The first being that it can only play GBA games. Whereas the GBA, SP, and even Game Boy Player could were backwards-compatible with GB and GBC games, the Micro is not.

The second con may not be a big deal for you, but it's also worth noting...is that it doesn't have a port for a link cable/GCN-GBA cable/wireleass adapter. If you want to do any sort of communication with other Game Boys or a GameCube, you need to get an adapter (and, depending on what you want to connect to, an additional cable) that was made specifically for the Micro. These were only sold from Nintendo's website, and are obviously no longer in production, so they're pretty hard to find, even online.

My personal suggestion? Get an original GBA, with a rechargeable battery pack and a light accessory. Original GBA is by far the most comfortable to hold, and it's pretty sturdy.

But since you seem to have your mind set on those two, it's a harder choice. Especially since it's not an SP2.

Basically, ask yourself these two things. Do you want to play Game Boy/Color games? And do you want to play multiplayer/GCN-connect games (including games like Crystal Chronicles, Four Swords Adventures?)

If the answer to either of those questions is "yes," go for the SP. Otherwise, I'd go for the Micro.
---
For those players who don't speak Australian, we have provided an English translation of the previous scene. Do you want to replay the scene?
#18ShadowRisaePosted 3/2/2013 7:11:41 PM
I had the GBA SP that looked like a NES. I sold it when I got my DS Lite though. There wasn't really much reason for me to keep it around, since my GBA game collection is really tiny, and I could sell it for a good price. I liked it a LOT though. I think that was the first time I fell in love with video game hardware just for how it looked. Very nostalgic, since NES was what I got started gaming on when I was a kid.

So I'd recommend that.
---
Too many games, not enough free time.
#19mjc0961Posted 3/2/2013 8:30:31 PM
Neither. Get a SP2/AGS-101 instead. SP1 has a crappy backlight and Micro is way too small and won't play GB/GBC games.

If you must have a retro looking handheld, do what another person suggested: get the NES SP and replace its guts with the guts of an SP2.

Ghetsis posted...
My personal suggestion? Get an original GBA, with a rechargeable battery pack and a light accessory. Original GBA is by far the most comfortable to hold, and it's pretty sturdy.

Also, for the love of all things great in gaming, don't do that. Even an SP1 is better than an original GBA with a light accessory.
---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.
#20SlaysmePosted 3/3/2013 7:37:55 AM
You just suggested a light accessory in 2013? No.no no no no no no no no no no no not ever again. What next, tiger handheld games?
Let the horrors die!
---
Your television viewing may be a negative influence on your life. It may lie to you. Watch out! Don't believe the robots. Eat well
5412-9925-5942. Psn-slaysme