I'm sure everyone has noticed how Capcom's MT Framework engine has improved...

#1blohangelPosted 3/1/2013 10:18:44 PM
...over time. It's been getting better with each Capcom game, right?

I'm wondering, is this the only engine that's been optimized especially for the 3DS?

Also, I really hope we get another Resident Evil someday. One with Claire in Raccoon City or something.
---
"We don't play EDF for graphics, we play it for massive carnage we lay upon alien scum" -gamemaster712
PSN: Angel_Garcilazo/3DS FC: 4940-5942-3940
#2Tzuba12Posted 3/1/2013 10:20:16 PM
Yeah they're really pushing the 3DS to its limit with the engine. It looks great. Actually, it'll probably get even better with time.
---
3DS: 0146-8850-9059
Steam: Tzuba
#3crimsonclaw111Posted 3/1/2013 10:23:16 PM
I do believe MT Frameworks scales across platforms easily, but I'm not 100% sure. The end result sure is impressive though.

I want to see a game based on the RAGE engine next (John Carmack's an engine God).
---
XBL GT: roboitoam
#4blohangel(Topic Creator)Posted 3/1/2013 10:24:44 PM
It really is impressive. I love when devs push systems.
And this is all in the 3DS' early life.
---
"We don't play EDF for graphics, we play it for massive carnage we lay upon alien scum" -gamemaster712
#5gransPosted 3/2/2013 4:25:45 AM
It is indeed an impressive little engine. It has also been very fun and interesting to see it evolve over the many years and games that have been made for it. I've noticed the improvements made to in its history.

Super Street Fighter 4 of course being an interesting sort of experiment at porting over a fighting game from an HD console to a lesser powered system like 3DS. Bit rough on the edges, mainly the lack of animation in the background (which likely would not have been an issue in newer versions of the engine and perhaps a larger cartridge). But what it accomplished was a great first look at what was possible, particularly the character models and their level of detail.

RE Mercs 3D was sort of the stepping stone towards RE Revelations. Probably a somewhat stripped down rendition of that RE5 tech demo they had up and running on the 3DS early on. Another pretty impressive early effort with some nice early looks at what Revelations would eventually improve on.

Monster Hunter Tri G I've cited as the rare example of how to port a game properly when the hardware allows you to. Port of the Wii version with a higher framerate (even in 3D, very nice touch of extra effort), and superior lighting and shadow effects. Another very impressive early effort.

RE Revelations speaks for itself, lighting and everything looks really great. The only real lack of polish is probably the lack of animation on the character mouths outside of major cutscenes. Other than that the game looked really impressive.

Monster Hunter 4 now being the latest game they're working on for the 3DS. It's still not out yet but the game again shows a lot of improvements to the engine. The character and monster models are considerably better than Tri's now, and the environments are larger in scale and more dynamic from a gameplay perspective (lots of vertical depth to the exploration and not all being just flat plains). And a lot of the shader effects present in the Resident Evil games are now present in MH4 such as normal maps, better lighting, water reflections and other things. And obviously the effects added to Tri G (character shadows and self shadowing) have been carried over to MH4 as well. It will be interesting to see whether this game also runs around 60fps like Tri G did (though even if its doesn't it's still a massive graphical leap over Tri G). The only real flaw is that some of the textures look a bit low resolution (though at the 3DS' own native resolution and screen size they do look much better). But other than that the game is highly impressive, managing to marry larger scale worlds and areas with some of the shader effects seen in the RE games before it.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#6ferofaxPosted 3/2/2013 6:08:13 AM
^ That.

Another rather promising engine to watch out for is the Mercury Steam engine (Castlevania Mirror of Fate). I know, bad framerates, but as with any other engines, it can be improved and balanced to accommodate higher framerates, if and only if the devs decide it's worth polishing. But seeing as the game is getting tons of flak for its framerates, I kind of doubt that we'll see anything out of it, unless it happens to be successful enough. I would probably buy the game, just to give it my push. I hope there's enough like-minded people out there. This engine of theirs could do wonders, if only given a chance.
---
pardon if my posts suck, i post by tapping on the handset button on a one-way analog handset. i saw Hannibal Lecter do it.
#7blohangel(Topic Creator)Posted 3/2/2013 11:26:04 AM
Very informative post, grans. Thank you.

I've only seen MH4 on a computer screen, but we all know how that is when showcasing handheld games. When I tried the Monster Hunter Tri demo, I was pleasantly surprised as to how great it looked and ran. Developers should take note on Capcom's 3DS work.
---
#8blohangel(Topic Creator)Posted 3/2/2013 11:28:50 AM
ferofax posted...
^ That.

Another rather promising engine to watch out for is the Mercury Steam engine (Castlevania Mirror of Fate). I know, bad framerates, but as with any other engines, it can be improved and balanced to accommodate higher framerates, if and only if the devs decide it's worth polishing. But seeing as the game is getting tons of flak for its framerates, I kind of doubt that we'll see anything out of it, unless it happens to be successful enough. I would probably buy the game, just to give it my push. I hope there's enough like-minded people out there. This engine of theirs could do wonders, if only given a chance.

I agree. The game does have a somewhat sloppy framerate, (it's not as bad as people make it seem) but I thought it looked really nice. The lighting effects especially.
---
#9gransPosted 3/2/2013 5:36:28 PM
Framerate problems aside, Mirror of Fate does indeed at least look good from a visuals perspective. If the engine were cleaned up and optimized considerably to run at at least a solid 30fps constantly, it would be a fairly impressive engine as it's easily up there with some of the better looking 3DS games in terms of the graphics. Mirror of Fate at least does utilize a fair amount of some of the 3DS' graphical effects (particularly the shader effects used for advanced lighting, normal maps, realistic shadows and self shadowing among others). The framerate problems could have been avoided, but at least it looks quite good underneath and I can see a ton of potential for possible future games as long as they do some substantial optimization to improve the framerate. You can compare MoF to some other 3DS games that have crappy framerates, AND don't seem to drop for any decent reason (not having anything to their visuals that should make them run as bad as they do) such as Rayman 3D, Rayman Origins, and even Kingdom Hearts 3D or Snake Eater 3D (I really like Kingdom Hearts 3D btw but it doesn't always run very well considering there's not even that much that should cause it to run badly). Mirror of Fate can again be improved, but I can at least see an effort to push some of the visuals in it unlike some other 3DS games with bad framerates which do not even drop for any decent reason at all.

Very informative post, grans. Thank you.

I've only seen MH4 on a computer screen, but we all know how that is when showcasing handheld games. When I tried the Monster Hunter Tri demo, I was pleasantly surprised as to how great it looked and ran. Developers should take note on Capcom's 3DS work.

Yeah 3DS games will never look as good in video and usually screenshot form on a PC screen (or any screen with higher resolution than the 3DS), videos and usually even screenshots tend to have a lot of quality lost due to the compression used in the first place (which causes low res compression artifacts). Even videos put up on the eshop have this problem, the DKC Retrurns 3D video Nintendo released recently on the eshop is very compressed and low quality. But 3DS games look especially bad when the videos are being blown up to screens you usually use for viewing trailers. Both because you're attempting to view a game intended to run at 400x240 resolution on a screen that has a far higher resolution and physical size in the first place, but also because the compression artifacts are further accentuated.

Besides just running at a far higher framerate that screenshots and youtube videos couldn't show, MHTriG on the actual 3DS also looked considerably better picture quality wise due to the poor image quality caused by compression in pretty much all youtube videos and even still shots.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville