Just tried the Monster Hunter 3 demo

#1crazymerioPosted 3/2/2013 11:56:14 PM
No idea what was going on. Chased that thing around for 20 minutes and it still didn't die...

I didn't find that intuitive, I didn't find that intuitive at all... Anyone have any guess what I was doing wrong? I've never played a monster hunter game before. I was the first class with the sword and shield. I kept hitting him and he just wouldn't die...
---
3DS FC: 4425-1519-7421
#2BlackHorse6969Posted 3/2/2013 11:57:16 PM
you're too impatient. you were too greedy with your attacks. learn when to strike. learn when to defend. to beat the monster, you have to sniff its buff. that is all.
#3crazymerio(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2013 12:01:50 AM
How complicated do the items in this game get? and the strategy elements...I guess?

There were quite a few items just in that demo.
---
#4Shadow2790xPosted 3/3/2013 12:02:54 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5lambchipsPosted 3/3/2013 12:07:11 AM
watch a vid on youtube, then attempt to copy them
also demos suck for games like MH because of steep difficulty curve.
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#6crazymerio(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2013 12:09:17 AM
lambchips posted...
watch a vid on youtube, then attempt to copy them
also demos suck for games like MH because of steep difficulty curve.

I may look up a video later but do you have a small opinion/answer on the items or strategy elements question above? If not thats fine. I just don't think I would like this game if there is a lot of strategy to it.

Or grinding...etc...I don't like games with grinding, tons of items, and a lot of strategy elements.
---
#7Tempest717Posted 3/3/2013 12:18:26 AM
Just use the potions, meat, and whetstones, nothing else is needed.
---
Official Cherry Garcia of the IDF
Official Lion Tamer of the NDF
#8Frozenx07Posted 3/3/2013 12:39:43 AM
crazymerio posted...
I don't like games with grinding, tons of items, and a lot of strategy elements.

If that's so, Monster Hunter isn't for you.
#9PokeMasterPosted 3/3/2013 12:49:16 AM
Tips for it:

1. Watch the monster, learn its attack patterns
2. Attack when its safe to do so, and don't just rush in and spam everything you have
3. Learn the environment.

Once you manage to kill it once, try it again, do it better and faster each time.
---
Japanese | Assume JPN Region, unless otherwise stated.
#10PokeMasterPosted 3/3/2013 1:11:08 AM
crazymerio posted...
How complicated do the items in this game get? and the strategy elements...I guess?

There were quite a few items just in that demo.

Items don't really get that complicated. You got some basic item foraging/combining and armor/weaponcraft.

(If you've played any MMO then you're basically set in regards to this.)

As for strategy.. personally I would consider it to be 2-stages
[note: i'm no expert on the game, all this is my personal opinion, etc etc]

I'd consider the first part of statergy and planning to be what items you choose to take with you on a quest. Really isn't much to it, and you get better the more you progress.

The second part of strategy would be during the quest. You need to:

-Learn and know about the monster and attack patterns
-Learn and know the environment (for item foraging, and if you need to run away, location of important features, etc)
-When and where to safely heal, cook, etc
-Placing baits, traps and luring the monster to those locations.

There isn't really much in that sense, but it is quite deep. It is easy to pick up once you get into it though.
---
Japanese | Assume JPN Region, unless otherwise stated.