Just tried the Monster Hunter 3 demo

#11crazymerio(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2013 1:20:49 AM
PokeMaster posted...
crazymerio posted...
How complicated do the items in this game get? and the strategy elements...I guess?

There were quite a few items just in that demo.

Items don't really get that complicated. You got some basic item foraging/combining and armor/weaponcraft.

(If you've played any MMO then you're basically set in regards to this.)

As for strategy.. personally I would consider it to be 2-stages
[note: i'm no expert on the game, all this is my personal opinion, etc etc]

I'd consider the first part of statergy and planning to be what items you choose to take with you on a quest. Really isn't much to it, and you get better the more you progress.

The second part of strategy would be during the quest. You need to:

-Learn and know about the monster and attack patterns
-Learn and know the environment (for item foraging, and if you need to run away, location of important features, etc)
-When and where to safely heal, cook, etc
-Placing baits, traps and luring the monster to those locations.

There isn't really much in that sense, but it is quite deep. It is easy to pick up once you get into it though.

Yeah...I don't think I would like this.... Thank all of you guys for the information though. I've never liked MMOs, RPGs or Strategy games at all so I don't think I would like a lot of this.

It seemed more action oriented but I don't think I could adjust to all of that...
---
3DS FC: 4425-1519-7421
#12lambchipsPosted 3/3/2013 1:45:18 AM
crazymerio posted...
do you have a small opinion/answer on the items or strategy elements question above? If not thats fine. I just don't think I would like this game if there is a lot of strategy to it.

general monster hunter tips
- dont chase the monster, wait till it charges at you and jump to a side then counter attack... otherwise you'll be chasing all day

- know how many attacks you can fit before the monster ready's its next attack
(for example i wouldnt use a full sword and shield combo on a monster when its about to do the aoe body slide... you'll want to do 2 or 3 strikes then block or jump back if you know its blind spot)

- try other all weapons

- if you need to heal, wait till the monster misses its next attack... if you heal as soon as you get knocked down, by the time you stand up and is able to heal again the monster would have started its next attack frame

weapon tips
- hammer= hit face as much as possible R to charge up the hammer then stand still to unleash it (otherwise you'll spin and that spin is so weak and has too many blind spots)
- lance= poke poke poke, guard, hope or poke poke poke counter, use X to close the space rather than walking or using X+A
- great sword= always have the weapon sheath... when in range use the forward+x overhead slash, then use a small combo before sheathing (rinse and repeat while you chase)
^ dont try to be cloud
sword and shield= bleh, i hate this weapon... use something else
- tachi (i never remember the english game, but its basically the samurai sword)= use X+A a lot to backstep and use R as soon as it fills... dont bother doing the full combo because most of the time you wont get the last hits... X+A is also very powerful as an attack
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#13Darth_KamcioPosted 3/3/2013 5:35:17 AM
The first 5 minutes of the battle should be you running away from the monster to figure out its pattern of attacks - how long does it recover from each attack, how does it telegraph those attacks and what could be its weak spot (for "normal" monsters it's usually the head, with monsters with armor it's a different story).

Monsters rarely spam attack outside of rage mode (and you will know damn right when they enter one). Use that to your advantage by using items right after dodging an attack.

Remember to keep your sword sharp - it's one of if not the most important aspect of your weapon you need to take care of in battle. When not sharp enough, the blade will deal less damage and bounce of the monster, taking away your ability to combo.

When you sheath your weapon and run away from a monster, your character runs in a comical way. When you press roll/evade during that, you will do a superman dive, during which you are invulnerable to attacks. Learn to use it after a mistimed item use or when you are too close to the monster to dodge its attacks.

Never get too greedy with attacks if the monster is standing on its legs. Sometimes even with the timeframe between attacks I mentioned before, monsters can combo YOU when you are unlucky. Sneak in some attacks, learn when to stop the combo before it's too late and use that knowledge well. When the monster falls to the ground, unleash your whole fury - it will take it quite some time to get up.
---
I love dragons!
White FC: 2194 3983 9072
#14trenton97Posted 3/3/2013 6:12:56 AM
Alright, I'll be the ass that says it.

Don't get hit. Hit it until it dies.

Standard MH advice.
---
After I finish life the first time, I'm doing a challenge run.
LttP>everything else.
#15JP_SartrePosted 3/3/2013 6:18:38 AM
It's a crap series only Japanese care about. Why they bother releasing them in US, no clue.
---
"The Virtual Boy didn't fail. We failed the Virtual Boy"
-fallenKlNG
#16ferofaxPosted 3/3/2013 6:59:16 AM
JP_Sartre posted...
It's a crap series only Japanese care about. Why they bother releasing them in US, no clue.

You my good sir are a shining example of what's wrong in this world.
---
pardon if my posts suck, i post by tapping on the handset button on a one-way analog handset. i saw Hannibal Lecter do it.
#17JP_SartrePosted 3/3/2013 7:04:18 AM
ferofax posted...
JP_Sartre posted...

You my good sir are a shining example of what's wrong in this world.

Because I don't share bizarre Japanese fetishes? Paganism is what is wrong with this world.
---
"The Virtual Boy didn't fail. We failed the Virtual Boy"
-fallenKlNG
#18zelda_king3Posted 3/3/2013 7:08:45 AM
trenton97 posted...
Alright, I'll be the ass that says it.

Don't get hit. Hit it until it dies.

Standard MH advice.

Pretty much this.

Also, you were using one of the weakest weapons available in the demo. The Sword and Shield provides fast combos, protection, and the ability to use items with your weapon withdrawn, but doesn't offer great attack power in return for those perks.

If you want to kill monsters faster, I suggest switching to a different weapon that you like but as a bigger punch to it (the hammer and longsword are great for beginners for example and deal much more damage than the sword+shield). The game may seem clunky and long based from the demo which just drops you off without explaining anything, but the whole game is pretty much a learning experience. Like how the monster's maneuver, it's weaknesses and strengths, what areas do they most likely lurk, how to master the weight and feel of your weapon to plan your strategy against the monster, and to build your character from having virtually nothing to becoming a decked character wearing the armor and weapons of the large monsters you slayed.

I would say give the demo another chance and read the digital manual that is included in the demo to give you an idea of how to play and start off on the right foot. This game isn't for people who expect to walk in and button mash to victory. This game is for people who are willing to learn to achieve sweet victory.
---
PSN: US: Spud_Commando | JP: zeldaking3
3DS FC: 4055 - 3299 - 4026