is there any way to "back up" your pokemon from black?

#21El_DustinoPosted 3/3/2013 8:08:09 PM
ferofax posted...
El_Dustino posted...
Starwars4J posted...
21_21 posted...
That's the thing, though. How come Pokemon games never had more than one file in a cartridge?

Because Pokemon games and save files take large amounts of space. Consider what needs to be saved on a Pokemon save file as compared to that of a normal game.

That is so not the reason, I am sure it is because they want you to buy more games. :/

Yeah? Well, why does it take so long to save then? It takes longer as you go along as well. Not sure about BW and BW2, but I'm pretty sure it takes a while to save on the previous DS titles. It's definitely not because of slow write speeds, but that massive amounts of data being written, plus writing the redundancy backup save (when you get your save corrupted, you'll be happy this exists).

Poor design maybe, I dunno. The game files are not that big, so I do not see how size is an issue. It would not be hard to at least have two save files.
---
The two most beautiful words in any language: I forgive.
#22-Zeke-Posted 3/3/2013 8:25:13 PM
Pokecheck should do the trick
---
"Official Toy Scraggy of the Pokemon Rumble U board"
3DS code: 1118-1052-2607 (PM me if you add me)
#23RazieruPosted 3/3/2013 8:50:46 PM
ManuKesna posted...
I want to start a new game but dont want to lose my pokemon

TC, you have to painfully trade them to keep them. This has always been one of the biggest and dumbest farces of Pokemon, courtesy of TROLLfreak. Want hundreds more creatures to catch? They got you covered.

But what about a convenient and swift method of transferring such massive data? Nah, they can't help you there. They rather you start all the way from scratch every new generation of Pokemon with s*** you already caught a billion times ON TOP of a hundred more "new" things.

Yet, people fail to grasp this dire farce alone every "new" generation of Pokemon, particularly with X and Y. One would think they would allow you to use a flash drive or something to simplify such a grand farce.

Then again, Nintendo has not yet learned the commonly used modern way of storing data (as such and in general) the much more simpler way - via SD card or other peripheral media. After all, SD cards have been there since the wee days of the DSi....
---
I am the thing that keeps you up at night, the evil that haunts every dark corner of your mind.
#24setymanPosted 3/3/2013 8:59:18 PM
JOANMOCO posted...
Use ir-gts-bw to backup your pokemon in your computer.

This. I use that all the time to back up my pokémon.
---
3DS FC: 1375 - 7550 - 5688
#25Godstriker8Posted 3/3/2013 8:59:30 PM
ferofax posted...
El_Dustino posted...
Starwars4J posted...
21_21 posted...
That's the thing, though. How come Pokemon games never had more than one file in a cartridge?

Because Pokemon games and save files take large amounts of space. Consider what needs to be saved on a Pokemon save file as compared to that of a normal game.

That is so not the reason, I am sure it is because they want you to buy more games. :/

Yeah? Well, why does it take so long to save then? It takes longer as you go along as well. Not sure about BW and BW2, but I'm pretty sure it takes a while to save on the previous DS titles. It's definitely not because of slow write speeds, but that massive amounts of data being written, plus writing the redundancy backup save (when you get your save corrupted, you'll be happy this exists).

Black_Assassin posted...
Yeah, the save files look absolutely gigantic (512K):
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/661226-pokemon-black-version-2/saves

In comparison, a game with 3 save slots:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/625210-shin-megami-tensei-devil-survivor-2/saves

3*256 > 1*512

Also the game itself is 256 MB, so the save files are miniscule in comparison.

A game cart only creates one save file. That save file may or may not contain multiple save slots, depending on the game. Therefore, 3*256 doesn't apply. It's just 256 split into 3 (or 4) inside the game.

I'm pretty sure its 256 for all 3 save files. When using my Acekard, every seperate save slot doesnt get its own .sav file. Instead, the one .sav file comprises every save slot in the game.

tldr: DS2 = 256k for 3 slots B/W = 512 for 1 slot.
---
I'm just dickin aroouunnnd
SHAKE AND BAKE!
#26SefcaBlightPosted 3/3/2013 9:00:54 PM
Razieru posted...
ManuKesna posted...
I want to start a new game but dont want to lose my pokemon

TC, you have to painfully trade them to keep them. This has always been one of the biggest and dumbest farces of Pokemon, courtesy of TROLLfreak. Want hundreds more creatures to catch? They got you covered.

But what about a convenient and swift method of transferring such massive data? Nah, they can't help you there. They rather you start all the way from scratch every new generation of Pokemon with s*** you already caught a billion times ON TOP of a hundred more "new" things.

Yet, people fail to grasp this dire farce alone every "new" generation of Pokemon, particularly with X and Y. One would think they would allow you to use a flash drive or something to simplify such a grand farce.

Then again, Nintendo has not yet learned the commonly used modern way of storing data (as such and in general) the much more simpler way - via SD card or other peripheral media. After all, SD cards have been there since the wee days of the DSi....

endgame is that you?
---
I walk ten thousand miles, ten thousand miles to see you
#27iGenesisPosted 3/4/2013 2:15:33 AM
Pokedrones being clueless again (as expected)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/661226-pokemon-black-version-2/63945051

256KB : Size of a raw Pokemon DS (any color/version) save file
512KB : Size of a "RAID 1" backed up Pokemon DS save file (basically, the same save file is saved back to back, so if one gets corrupted, you have the other one to fall back on)

1024KB : Available space in a standard DS cartridge (this allows room for at least 2x2 save files, or 4 save files with no backups) (see: Spirit Tracks.)

But the 256KB files have lots of whitespace, "0xFFFF..." padding and inefficient data structures. If Game Freak actually gave a f*** about efficiency, this could be trimmed far lower.

136 bytes : Storage space required for 1 Pokemon's data (incl. nicknames, species, natures, moves, abilities, markings, PP Ups, Met at data, etc. etc. etc.)
136*540 or 136*720=97920 bytes : Storage space required for all PC Pokemon
<80-100KB (version-dependent) : Approx. storage space required for all remaining data (OT data, NPC data, bag items, records, contest results, hall of fame, blah blah)

Everything else consists of filler bytes (0xFFFF....), padding the save file up to 256KB.
http://lueshi.info/upload/images/platsave_fillerbytesLOL.jpg

The theory that a single save file prevents "cheating" (duplication of rare Pokemon/items) is completely bogus. Support for multiple save files does NOT imply the existence of a "COPY" feature, nor does it imply that save files on the same cartridge can trade with each other.

If you haven't noticed, the game forces you to SAVE before you're allowed to make any trades, so it's not like you can duplicate your authentic event Arceus holding a rare candy. And as we all know, "rare" legendaries are typically obtainable only after 10+ hours of time investment in a boring and repetitive main quest.

Conclusion: One save file per game = Households with multiple children purchase multiple copies. And considering the personalized nature of the Pokemon gameplay experience, that's exactly what families do. GAME FREAK RIPS CUSTOMERS OFF, AND THE FACTS ARE THE FACTS.

---
GameFAQs.com: Where YOU make the content, but CBS makes the money.
http://lueshi.info/Mario_Zelda_Tier_List.gif
#28SMASHKING84Posted 3/4/2013 2:20:46 AM
indeed if pokemon duplication was the problem why does pbr have multiple saves?
and why can't the they like give us a second save that cannot trade or use online if there that worried?

futher more people will find other ways to clone pokemon anyways
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon
Welcome to my barbecue-kefka ffvi
#29monkeypahngPosted 3/4/2013 2:56:18 AM
SMASHKING84 posted...
why can't the they like give us a second save that cannot trade or use online if there that worried?

Because that would be stupid.
---
The console with the greater spec generally loses.
FC: 1719-3458-5336 Follow me on twitter @Jamyfang
#30SMASHKING84Posted 3/4/2013 2:59:49 AM
monkeypahng posted...
SMASHKING84 posted...
why can't the they like give us a second save that cannot trade or use online if there that worried?

Because that would be stupid.

not as stupid as one save file
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon
Welcome to my barbecue-kefka ffvi