I wish Nintendo made its games like on the GBA rather than the DS.

#1VyersPosted 3/4/2013 3:38:41 PM
The DS had a big problem with its mainline titles, Pokemon aside; the Zeldas split people due to its different controls and gameplay style; Metroid Prime Hunters was very much not a normal Metroid game (heck, not a normal Metroid Prime game); New Super Mario Bros. began a trend of easier-than-usual Mario titles (that thankfully hasn't ruined all of them); WarioWare, while still good, paled in comparison to the first two titles, while Wario Land became the abomination known as Master of Disguise; Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon stays true to the original NES game to a fault; and even Pokemon, which I listed as an exception due to the high-quality HG/SS, B/W, and B2/W2, suffered with D/P. The only franchises I can say thrived besides Pokemon were Kirby, Animal Crossing, Advance Wars, and Rhythm Heaven. Most of Nintendo's good/interesting/innovative stuff was new - Hotel Dusk, Brain Age, Nintendogs, Ouendan/EBA, etc. The DS was definitely carried by third parties.

Looking at the GBA, while it was admittedly a port machine, it had a surprisingly high number of very good titles from Nintendo and others. We got the excellent Minish Cap for Zelda, we got two great Kirby games, we got Metroid: Zero Mission and the lesser Metroid Fusion; we got the resurgence of Advance Wars and Fire Emblem, both of which were without any new titles since the Super Famicom; Wario got not only a sequel to his main series, but a brand new franchise that very likely outshone the old one; and many others. The only stuff that really didn't hit off were Mario platformers and Pokemon - the former due to absence, the latter due to poorly thought-out schemes to make people buy five copies. Didn't help that Pokemon was going through a phase where everyone who grew up with it were adults, which set D/P up with high sales due to everyone coming back to it as adults.

For me, the 3DS didn't start to shine for Nintendo's offerings until Kid Icarus: Uprising; unfortunately, Nintendo's still not in full motion yet. They started off extremely weak. Pilotwings Resort, while solid, wasn't content rich enough to warrant a full-price release. It and Steel Diver would have been perfect for the eShop; price Pilotwings at $20, and Steel Diver at $10, and you have an eShop launch to talk about. Nintendogs + Cats probably could have done with eShop-only considering how unambitious it was. Later we would see Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land - both good games, especially the latter which proves that Mario can be challenging (even if it requires more fine-tuning to be great), but they didn't feel as good as they could have been. New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Paper Mario: Sticker Star are fantastic examples of my worries, though. New SMB 2 had me so disinterested that I chose to not complete it, while Sticker Star is probably my biggest disappointment of last year.

It ain't all doom and gloom though, thankfully - Fire Emblem: Awakening's a very good start, and eShop efforts such as Pushmo and the very ambitious Crashmo give me hope. However, it's a real wait-and-see matter, to see if Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon can live up to the hype. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D will bring to me the first time I'm going to want to play it, what with the lack of motion controls, Animal Crossing: New Leaf hopefully will bring much-needed innovation to the series, and assuming Miyamoto doesn't take his de-charmer to it, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team could be top tier - enough so that I'm going to subject myself to all of the hype. I don't mind third parties having a field day, but Nintendo can do better than this.

(Note: This isn't a Nintendo bashing topic. Let's just discuss the subject like ladies and gentlemen.
---
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Negative_Hippie
Choice YouTube upload: Chulip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vQMsqd_sbg
#2schlanzPosted 3/4/2013 3:51:48 PM(edited)
Forgive me for saying so but I thought Nintendo made some pretty bomb ass games for the DS you didn't mention Mario and Luigi Bowser's Inside Story and quite a few others.

honestly the only Nintendo franchises that regressed from the GBA to the DS were Metroid and Fire Emblem, virtually every other one improved with the DS and I'm sure Metroid will return to form just as Fire Emblem has for the 3DS.
---
This aggression will not stand, man
Currently playing: Dead Space 3
#3Vyers(Topic Creator)Posted 3/4/2013 4:01:58 PM
schlanz posted...
Forgive me for saying so but I thought Nintendo made some pretty bomb ass games for the DS you didn't mention Mario and Luigi Bowser's Inside Story and quite a few others.

honestly the only Nintendo franchises that regressed from the GBA to the DS were Metroid and Fire Emblem, virtually every other one improved with the DS and I'm sure Metroid will return to form just as Fire Emblem has for the 3DS.

Mario & Luigi was a great franchise on the DS, but how can you ignore that the biggest Mario game was one of the worst in the franchise? Or that Zelda really didn't have any one single title on the DS that shone? Or that Metroid completely abandoned the entire 2D Metroid structure?

If Metroid has a grand return, it'll be because Metroid Prime: Hunters was such a bad idea and Nintendo recognizes this. Or maybe they'll think people just don't like 2D Metroid after Other M.
---
#4abbyhitterPosted 3/4/2013 4:09:18 PM
For me, the 3DS started to shine with Super Mario 3D Land.
---
abbyhaxxor<3
I always rush here to tell GameFAQs my problems!
#5DarkStorm20191Posted 3/4/2013 4:12:52 PM
Vyers posted...
schlanz posted...

Mario & Luigi was a great franchise on the DS, but how can you ignore that the biggest Mario game was one of the worst in the franchise? Or that Zelda really didn't have any one single title on the DS that shone? Or that Metroid completely abandoned the entire 2D Metroid structure?

If Metroid has a grand return, it'll be because Metroid Prime: Hunters was such a bad idea and Nintendo recognizes this. Or maybe they'll think people just don't like 2D Metroid after Other M.

Yeah to be honest though last I've checked LoZ: PH actually received more praise than Minsh Cap, and even the WW combined...(Look at any 2007/2008 Nintendo Power.)

As for Metroid DS, never played it. But how exactly did they make it any worse than say, Prime 3?
---
NameNotKnown posted...
"There is a 0% chance of this happening."
#6Vyers(Topic Creator)Posted 3/4/2013 4:23:55 PM
DarkStorm20191 posted...
Vyers posted...
schlanz posted...

Yeah to be honest though last I've checked LoZ: PH actually received more praise than Minsh Cap, and even the WW combined...(Look at any 2007/2008 Nintendo Power.)

As for Metroid DS, never played it. But how exactly did they make it any worse than say, Prime 3?

It was more of a Quake-style shooter than a first-person adventure.

Also, what? How did you come up with that? The Wind Waker is, on GameRankings, one of the top 30 or so best-rated games. The Minish Cap rates over 90%, both above Phantom Hourglass' ratings. So in fact, PH doesn't beat either of them, much less combined. Phantom Hourglass is routinely criticized for touch controls - while also praised - and most agree that the hub dungeon was awful and repetitive.
---
#7crimsonclaw111Posted 3/4/2013 4:40:19 PM
I sort of agree with you TC. GBA Nintendo put out some of the dopest **** ever. DS was great, but it was mostly lesser known franchises getting the quality (Rhythm Heaven, Advance Wars, etc). Not to say Mario/Zelda were crap on DS, but they were pretty underwhelming.

What baffles me more is that GBA games are on Wii U before 3DS. It's some BS, I want Metroid Zero Mission dammit!
---
XBL GT: roboitoam
#8AkaneJonesPosted 3/4/2013 5:24:55 PM
Lets see...
Zelda: The previous handheld Zelda games for GBA weren't without their flaws. One was just a port with a multi-player tacked on that you couldn't play with 1 player. The other killed exploration by making it kin-stone fusion related, then still didn't have the proper 8 dungeons. It's other features seemed under utilized. I seriously doubt a 2D non touch screen version of the DS Zeldas would do any better. And if the games didn't have their gimmicks they'd be something else entirely, but no telling if you like those alternates either.

Metroid : They didn't make a normal Metroid. I think this is because Metroid Dread got canceled/postponed. You can compare the first 2D Metroid they'd made in 10 years, and a remake of the first, to a system that got a pseudo multiplayer trial game based on the other style of console 3D Metroids Retro revived.

Super Mario Bros. : And this is wasted GBA only got ports of the old 2D Marios. The only thing harder about them was the eReader levels for SMB3 that nobody played. I mean those were bonus level and the only new content they even developed for them. Just because the Special World in SMW was still present in the port doesn't explain what a 2D Mario should or shouldn't have been. New Super Mario Bros. in GBA style likely would have been the exact same game, sans 3D models for characters.

WarioWare: Nothing to do with system. There is no argument here because it has nothing to do with the system.

Wario Land: They didn't make a DS Wario Land it was on Wii, and was a good game despite the detractors. Master of Disguise failed due to being outsource Wario title that tried to be Wario Land + WarioWare at the same time. The game came off as junk on both parts, and the forced motion controls swapping was part of it. It really had little to do with the DS or the style of Nintendo's making seeing as WL: Shake It! succeeds where ever MoD failed.

Fire Emblem: Blame Intelligent Systems deciding to only remake Fire Emblems on DS instead of a new one. Lets also blame them for remaking the first, then remaking the 3rd even though the 3rd is the 1st with extra scenarios. Point is they should have skipped the remake of the first and just done the 3rd, because it already contains the 1st. Being a remake it actually was following the GBA philosophy, which is what Mario Advanced, Zelda LttP, and Metroid ZM were. It actually a negative to the argument.

Pokemon: You should bring that up. Everyone as a whole seriously thinks Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald are the worst set generations of Pokemon. I don't care if you have issues with Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, they were better. HG/SS also invalidate FR/LG, so lets leave it.

Kirby, Animal Crossing, Advance Wars, and Rhythm Heaven.
Well lets see AC wasn't on GBA, Kirby's quality hasn't changed, and we only got the DS RH. Advanced War is odd because Japan didn't get the last one. But to say both it an FE made a resurgence on GBA is wrong Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 was released in 1999/2000. Fire Emblem: Fuuin no Tsurugi was released in 2002. That's 2 years! If anything its the fault of Nintendo not making Thracia 776 for N64. Also GameBoy Wars 3 on GBC was 2001 & Advance Wars was the same. The only difference was Nintendo stopped out sourcing to Hundson, and make them in house at IS. If anything it was N64 flubbing that told Nintendo to actually bring their own games to the west that did things of these, and Smash Bros. Melee had to be instrumental in FEs move to the west.

What about Custom Robo? That game wasn't anything to write home about on GBA, which is why it was skipped for western release ultimately. The DS one however is more like the N64 ones and more in line with what the series is. It might be inferior to the GameCube game, but that point is moot.

I just don't think your argument is valid here.
#9SMASHKING84Posted 3/4/2013 5:33:29 PM
why is touch control bad yet motion control isn't?
i seem to recall you defending motion control on skyward sword.

anyway in a game like lost magic touch controls made sense but zelda it doesn't. especially in spirit tracks where the roll and the sword slash move were both done by a swiping motion.

You try to roll and because it's the exact same imput as the sword slash you will do the sword slash instead of the roll.
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon
Welcome to my barbecue-kefka ffvi
#10BlanketPIPosted 3/4/2013 5:33:47 PM
Vyers posted...
The only franchises I can say thrived besides Pokemon were Kirby

Aside from Kirby: Squeak Squad

We got the excellent Minish Cap for Zelda

I thought it was fairly poor for a The Legend of Zelda game, what with the few dungeons "made-up for" by Kinstone Fusions that, while enjoyable at first do become a burden.

we got two great Kirby games

Well, Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland was a port and not even a good one, though the lack of lag makes it equal in how good they (Kirby's Adventure and this) are on an absolute scale, in my opinion. It really should have expanded on the original, not subtracted. Kirby and the Amazing Mirror was kind of bland once you got the maps, since exploring was its only notably good quality when compared to the rest of the series.

we got the resurgence of Advance Wars and Fire Emblem, both of which were without any new titles since the Super Famicom

Not that it really makes much of a difference but Game Boy Color Wars came after Super Famicom Wars (not a criticism but I thought I ought to mention it)

Wario got not only a sequel to his main series

Though, not of very good quality and quite short, though the multiple difficulty modes help alleviate this to an extent. I feel the same way about them as I do Kinstone Fusions.

Mario platformers and Pokemon - the former due to absence
See also: Mario vs. Donkey Kong (great) and Super Mario Advance (series, though only 3 & 4 brought anything of worth and not much, either)

New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Paper Mario: Sticker Star are fantastic examples of my worries, though. New SMB 2 had me so disinterested that I chose to not complete it, while Sticker Star is probably my biggest disappointment of last year.
Paper Mario: Sticker Star seems to have been hit-or-miss. It was far from the best game ("Oh, by the way, you need this Thing here and you cannot even really tell why!" though they at least made it obvious enough that a few trial-and-errors would get you through) and there were plenty of boring battles. 4-3 Scaredy Rats and Boos, final form of Bowser which was already a battle too drawn out, et cetera but if you were willing to take the reason to kill everything of, "The game wants you to," it was normally quite a fun game in my experience. Of course, you are free to disagree and, seeing as you already have an opinion of the game, you probably will. I just wanted to add my thoughts.
New Super Mario Bros. 2, while fun in my opinion, is a big reason for concern, much like the original but worse.

Also of note, Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-land Mayhem, (the other ones were fun but not... outstanding) The Legendary Starfy, (not as good as 2 or 3 but way better than 4) Super Princess Peach, maybe Super Mario 64 DS, (25% more stars means it was a bit better than the Super Mario Advance titles, though the controls might bog it down for you) Warioware: D.I.Y., (it has quite the flexible editor, even if it should have been better) Yoshi's Island DS and the awful duo of Mario Party Advance and Mario Pinball Land.

By contrast, Yoshi: Topsy-Turvy/Yoshi's Universal Gravitation, (though its reviews mean I am probably mentioning a dud) Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Game and Watch Gallery 4 and Yoshi: Touch and Go.

I agree with the Gameboy Advance having better games from Nintendo but I think the DS did not have as bad a time as you make it out to be.
---
Sorry, can't talk; switching feet!