Is the hate for Castlevania justified?

#91king_gimpyPosted 3/6/2013 7:45:19 PM
It's so bad it made me want to go back and replay Circle of the Moon, an actual GOOD game.

Be more subtle.
---
A New Messiah, Another Lie
A New Messiah, To Be Denied
#92SoaringDivePosted 3/6/2013 8:04:37 PM
The new one? Not really, it really harkens to a modern rendition of what the original stood for (skill based linear action game), which is great when the past, like, 10 games of the series were crappy "run around the castle! Yay!" and you won by grinding.

The series as a whole for the past 15 years? Oh, hell yeah. Crappily designed games that have nothing to do with castlevania past the face value. At some points they even outright abandoned gothic elements (why the heck is there anime in a gothic series??) in order to become even more enthralled in their generic mess. Thank Cox for Mercurysteam, finally getting some good Castlevania games.
---
PM (on GFaqs) me if you add me (I won't bite)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive
#93VyersPosted 3/6/2013 8:11:14 PM
SoaringDive posted...
The new one? Not really, it really harkens to a modern rendition of what the original stood for (skill based linear action game), which is great when the past, like, 10 games of the series were crappy "run around the castle! Yay!" and you won by grinding.

The series as a whole for the past 15 years? Oh, hell yeah. Crappily designed games that have nothing to do with castlevania past the face value. At some points they even outright abandoned gothic elements (why the heck is there anime in a gothic series??) in order to become even more enthralled in their generic mess. Thank Cox for Mercurysteam, finally getting some good Castlevania games.

Repeat:

"Anyone who thinks Metroidvanias require grinding are bad gamers."

I'm not even being facetious. You're either accusing every RPG ever made of encouraging grinding, or claiming that Metroidvania is too hard.

Also, classic CV is punishing, yet rewards you once you learn what to do. It's pure skill. LoS, MoF, reward you for being able to button mash.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear Subscribe for LPs of Pokemon Snap, The Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Super Mario Bros. 3, and more~!
#94T_TanggPosted 3/6/2013 9:40:18 PM
It's a generic game imo. If you like it then good for you.

But if you want to play a real/fun castlevania game then play ReBirth on the wii.
---
NNID: T_Tang PSN: T_Tang GT: ElateDuckling0
Vita: AsKsQsJsTs 3DS: 0387-9826-5126
#95Red-SparrowPosted 3/6/2013 10:39:34 PM
Is it really that bad?

Not bad at all. People just whine because it's not the 7th copy paste of SotN.
#96RocketZXbluePosted 3/7/2013 5:08:35 AM
it's an entertaining game and did not seem boring at all to me.
did everyone play on hard difficulty(the demo had it too)?
---
3DS FC: 4098 - 2370 - 5638 looking for 3DS friends PM ME (Swapnote, MK7, Code of Princess, Kid Icarus)
PSN: RocketZXblue Steam: RocketZX
#97NoNameAtAllPosted 3/7/2013 8:45:35 AM
RocketZXblue posted...
it's an entertaining game and did not seem boring at all to me.
did everyone play on hard difficulty(the demo had it too)?

I'd be glad to give it a shot, but the music has me worried. LoS just didn't have that "feel", if you get what I mean. When I hear songs like "Invitation of a Crazed Moon" or "Reincarnated Souls", I feel like I'm playing a Castlevania game.

I don't expect the same songs over and over. Just a similar style, if that makes sense.

And again, I'm basing off the music of LoS. I haven't played it. I don't have the means to do so.
---
OH MY GAWD how did I forget her, I fail so much -- Marth_Koopa, now MarsKoopa
#98Cody32390Posted 3/7/2013 9:40:02 AM
Weeaboos mad that they dont have their anime art style
---
Real talk.
*CodyBDC*
#99red eye dragoonPosted 3/7/2013 10:01:19 AM
ShinWesker posted...
xellos667 posted...
ShinWesker posted...
xellos667 posted...
telocaster posted...
Is the hate for Castlevania justified?

Of course not. Not Metroidvania = people will find any reason to hate this game, even if LoS WAS an awesome game, and an awesome Castlevania too. It's the same reason people hated Castlevania 64 back then. It's different, so it's bad.

yeah, grasping at straws now again. Metroidvania is fine, classic castlevania is awesome too. It doesn't matter what type it is as long as the gameplay is good. This new 3DS is terrible and so is Lords of Shadows if you had ANY CLUE about ACTION games with good gameplay like Bayonetta.

C64 had horrible gameplay (combat and platforming that sucked), that's a fact.

No, that's an opinion. Castlevania 64, and Legacy of Darkness in particular, are amongst my favorite Castlevania. In fact, if it was not for them, I think I would not have go much deeper into the series. This is why you should never trust the 3DS board when taking decision about buying a game. They just love to hate what is different than what they wanted, and are very vocal about it for all the wrong reasons (I remember the pointless hate for Paper Mario Sticker Star too, just because it was not TTYD). For Mirror of Fate, there's a demo, if you like it, then buy the game and ignore the very vocal hater on this forum. Obviously, those who like the game will not post as much as those who hate it.

Bad taste.

Ive been playing castlevania since Castlevania 3 and i gotta say, 64 and legacy of Darkness were pretty bad. I never could like them and this is the first time ive ever heard someone say they are someones favorites. As for the LoS gameplay style games we have now, i dont really like them but this is the route Castlevania is going it seems so im going to give them fair chances instead of mindlessly bashing them before having played the full games because im actually a fan of castlevania.
---
"The black dragon?.........HEY! Maybe it's in the Black Dragon Cave!!!" - Some idiot in Lunar: Dragon Song
PSN & Nintendo ID: Kenshin5435
#100Androm2Posted 3/7/2013 1:31:08 PM
pokemon2poker posted...
mabber_III posted...
no, it seems to be an ok game, people who really hate seem to be comparing it to other castlevania games

Add me to your seg I want Suikoden 6 more than anything.
---
"Skies of Arcadia, Suikoden 2. Suikoden 5 are the games that effected my view of life, the best entertainment I've ever had, the humans best creation"