I hope Mirror of Fate sells poorly.

#221Xtreme-VoidPosted 3/9/2013 10:30:59 AM
I'm with TC on this.

For the art style I like OoE the most too.

They not loyal to us fans, we won't loyal to them too.

This is a most unfortunate and disgraceful events.
---
PC Gaming Rigs, PS3, XBOX 360, PS VITA, PSP, 3DS
Universal Gamer
#222james_hellerPosted 3/9/2013 10:53:33 AM
Xtreme-Void posted...
theneovega posted...
Missed the point. The link goes to a discussion about God of War ripping off Castlevania Lament of Innocence. So the argument could be made that Castlevania is just ripping off itself. Having actually PLAYED the first Lords of Shadow, I can see how it can be a divisive experience. Personally, I thought it was a decent hack-n-slash witha good story, but the ties to Castlevania were strenuous at best. I've been stuck on Cornell's second form for a year and a half, so I feel you on the stuck-on-the-shelf.

But this whole "God of War rip-off" nonsense just irks me. Like God of War was the first hack-n-slash, kinda ignoring a pretty rich selection of decent-to-great games that came out in the long years before anyone heard of Kratos. I also seem to remember the backlash against SOTN during the PS1 days (stupid Metroid rip-off, why can't it be like the original?), followed by a "this is the greatest game ever" once people started to get it. Now it's the barometer for greatness. I'm just happy they're making Castlevania-like games in an age of Call of Duty. Like I said before; look at Mega Man. It could be a lot worse ("There's just not any interest in the property from consumers." Bullsquash, Capcom. Utter bullsquash.)

But anyway, maybe games don't "rip each other off", but in fact build on each other's success. They evolve as a collective. And we, the gamer, get to reap the rewards for the small price of a clunker here and there.

It's targeting different market.
I don't like any God of War, Castlevania would lose RPG game fans such as myself.
It feel like SoTN build Castlevania as RPG, Castlevania get RPG fans,
now they are ignoring RPG fans.

Your problem is thinking Castlevania was ever an RPG. And not a platformer with RPG elements.
#223Lord_FroodPosted 3/9/2013 11:55:14 AM(edited)
Xtreme-Void posted...
This is a most unfortunate and disgraceful events.

Unfortunate and disgraceful? Jesus Tapdancing Christ, unfortunate and disgraceful are words used for things that are actually important, not that your "beloved" gaming company don't give you the game you personally wanted. Quit being a self-entitled stuck up whiner and realize that things change. You wanna know what's unfortunate? Losing your job. You want to know what's disgraceful? Beating your spouse. You know what Mirror of Fate is? A bummer. A subpar event. A minor letdown.

Go outside and get some fresh air and realize that it's a video game. Set your damn priorities straight and stop the incessant complaining about how I didn't get what I want. You and the hundreds of others crawling out of the woodwork to bawl your eyes out about something this insignificant and tiny.

F***.
---
Official Something or Other of That One Group
#224VyersPosted 3/9/2013 12:33:12 PM
People really don't understand the accusations against Konami copying GoW

People aren't accusing them of doing it because GoW predates LoS

People are accusing them of doing it because

1. LoS became much closer to GoW than LoI was
2. GoW is the best-selling of its genre by a HUGE margin
3. GoW is the most mainstream, and brought the genre to the mainstream
4. LoI didn't receive enough critical or commercial acclaim to validate claims that it was used as a base for GoW.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear Subscribe for LPs of Pokemon Snap, The Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Super Mario Bros. 3, and more~!
#225james_hellerPosted 3/9/2013 1:23:28 PM
Vyers posted...
People really don't understand the accusations against Konami copying GoW

People aren't accusing them of doing it because GoW predates LoS

People are accusing them of doing it because

1. LoS became much closer to GoW than LoI was
2. GoW is the best-selling of its genre by a HUGE margin
3. GoW is the most mainstream, and brought the genre to the mainstream
4. LoI didn't receive enough critical or commercial acclaim to validate claims that it was used as a base for GoW.

No, people understand it perfectly. People KNOW that GoW inspired LoS. I'm pretty Cox explained and confirmed that. What I don't understand is why this is a big deal. Why doesn't anyone mention the Uncharted inspiration? All that climbing is just like in UN. What about SotC? Those bosses were definitely inspired by that.

What I don't get is why it is such a huge deal. GoW has great combat, except for the constant QTE's, which admittedly bother me lots in MoF, but I get over it.

Now, I want someone to explain to me why it is okay for Castlevania to rip-off anything but GoW. That's what I want to know. Metroid? Okay. Mario or the other 100 platformers out when the original Castlevania came out? Oh, that was the popular thing, not trying to cash in on that genre. GoW? Apparently, it's cashing in on that genre.
#226VyersPosted 3/9/2013 1:32:04 PM
God of War sold better in the, what, less than 10 years of existence its had than Metroid. That they used Metroid for inspiration is a testament to Metroid's quality - that they used God of War for inspiration is a testament to them cashing in on a popular genre.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear Subscribe for LPs of Pokemon Snap, The Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Super Mario Bros. 3, and more~!
#227VyersPosted 3/9/2013 1:35:30 PM
Also, there are people who don't understand it, where people say that GoW copied LoI just because LoI came out first.
---
#228james_hellerPosted 3/9/2013 1:57:12 PM
Vyers posted...
God of War sold better in the, what, less than 10 years of existence its had than Metroid. That they used Metroid for inspiration is a testament to Metroid's quality - that they used God of War for inspiration is a testament to them cashing in on a popular genre.

Maybe they are taken GoW success as a reason to bring it into Castlevania, but it still feels like a Castlevania, especially that of MoF. That is what truly matters. I couldn't care less about the combat system in this series, especially since it usually sucks. I miss the RPG elements admittedly, but I would be lying if I said I didn't like LoS and MoF. It is irrelevant to me if it is better or worse than SotN. It's a fun game, that's what matters. It's Castlevania.
#229MerisYakiPosted 3/9/2013 4:56:00 PM
1. People who played the demo back at e3 knew it would be crap.
2. Game is actually crap and people still moan about complainers.
#230chestershadowPosted 3/9/2013 10:23:13 PM
colt85 posted...
LinkMaster2703 posted...
Lords of Shadow is the perfect example of a publisher dumbing down a series to appeal to the lowest denominator

I'd say everyone who wants a real Castlevania game should be buying games like Harmony of Despair

Irony much?

We don't know if Konami will pull a Capcom and go "Oh, you don't buy the game? It surely means the franchise is not appealing anymore, don't expect any new games in the future"

Then thats their own damn fault for doing something as stupid as Capcom, a company whose business decisions have ultimately put them in a precarious position. They're not well liked by the gaming community, their last few BIG projects have blown up in their face, and their sales are down across the board.

If Konami doesn't want to go bankrupt, the last people they should look to for business/'development advice is Capcom. Seriously.

I hope they see poor sales for any of the LOS games they release here on out, and cancel it. If they do take a page out of Capcom's dev book, they should pull a DMC2 and pretend it NEVER existed, and just move the series forward with what worked in the first game (which is ultimately how we got such a polished game in DMC3). I don't wanna see more of this God of War clone, its not like GoW has been any good as of late (and in my opinion, I never found anything besides the first game any good to begin with).