RANT: region locking and game availability in UK

#11wolflordrufus(Topic Creator)Posted 3/6/2013 3:22:52 PM
I have no local GAME or Gamestation though, HMV is weeks from closing, 100 mile round trip for nearest one now, assuming that is still open......

Yeah I have had Theatrhythm on order from amazon for months, so yeah.. not really replenshing their stock in a timely manner, worst thing is Amazon, the cheeky sods, recommended me the f***ing game this morning!

I have loads of NTSC games for the DS or other consoles due to region-specific releases and where the print run in PAL region is so low andno one is stupid enough to sell their copy anywhere.
---
GT: DEANO 30f6
Pokemon Diamond Friend Code 0344 5773 0717 ot:!!BOB!!
#12wisemiddsPosted 3/6/2013 3:40:43 PM
I feel sorry for anybody that has to pay HMV's inflated prices, they deserve to bite the bullet. I'd definatly try eBay, amazon, Play, etc
I'm pissed we still haven't got Code Of Princess and F.E. (I actually don't think I'm gona bother with F.E. now. Nintendo have always been the same when it comes to the EU (Delays, Not releasing games, 50Hz etc etc) and it kinda makes me smile that Wii U isn't selling.
---
3DS friend code: 3652 - 0628 - 9229
XBL, PSN: wisemidds
#13wolflordrufus(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2013 11:35:14 AM
Theatrhythm arrived today, thank you for that link to a retailer that actually had a copy in stock.
---
GT: DEANO 30f6
Pokemon Diamond Friend Code 0344 5773 0717 ot:!!BOB!!
#14Enigma149Posted 3/9/2013 11:43:28 AM
You could have imported a system from the US to play from the beginning. You know, since that would've been cheaper and you would've gotten games faster.

Seriously - I've wondered this for years on region-locked things. Why do Europeans (and Australians) not just all import from the US? Surely tariffs can't be that high.
---
3DS: 4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; Steam: CrimsonEnigma
''If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature'' -squatch22
#15Black_AssassinPosted 3/9/2013 11:46:33 AM(edited)
cha_fan1 posted...
Region-locking is likely related more to copyright law than anything else. I'm sure there are legal complexities that make certain things acceptable in one region that are not in another. As copyright has gotten more complex, region locks have become necessary to account for different regions and their legal hang ups on violence, social structures, religion, etc.

DS
PSP
Vita

Also Australia and Europe share the same region code as far as I know. There are also differences by country in Europe.
#16HakuPosted 3/9/2013 12:06:26 PM
I did not realise Theatrhythm was a hard to get/only had a small run. Shopto had it for only 12 a few months back (I got it then), and now it's hard to find 0_o.

Enigma149 posted...
You could have imported a system from the US to play from the beginning. You know, since that would've been cheaper and you would've gotten games faster.

Seriously - I've wondered this for years on region-locked things. Why do Europeans (and Australians) not just all import from the US? Surely tariffs can't be that high.

For one, it's not always cheaper. The whole US games are so much cheaper is blown out of proportion. Some places in Europe, yes, they are much more expensive than the US, but not everywhere in Europe. So you can't just go with the blanket statement of games being cheaper.

Issues with the console. My XL came with dead pixels and scratches on the screen, no problem to return for replacement, if it was an import, then hassle and money to return to where it came from.

Games, much better in recent years. Sure there is the odd game that has a delay, but it's generally only awful companies like Atlus who are stuck in the past that consistently have huge delays.

Europe seems to get better treatment on bundles. More colours etc, might not seem a big thing, but the way people go on about NOA not giving other colours, apparently it is.

If you want games you know are unlikely to get an EU release (Atlus) or be hugely delayed (again, Atlus), or from people who hate the EU (what a shock, Atlus again), then import, but there are reasons against it.
#17Ruff_PuffPosted 3/9/2013 3:30:17 PM
I recommend these guys:
http://www.ozgameshop.com/3ds-games/theatrhythm-final-fantasy-game-3ds

Put your email in their little "wanna know when this item is available?" box and they'll email you when they get it back in stock, which shouldn't take too long.
---
PSN: Ruff-Puff
#18BlazeVXPosted 3/9/2013 3:34:46 PM
This is why I own a Japanese 3DS so I don't miss out on any games.
#19WallydraiglePosted 3/9/2013 5:56:38 PM
Awesomely Awesome AJ posted...
Why is there region locking in the first place? The company still gets the money, who cares if it is a dollar or a british pound? Cash is cash.

You know how if you import a game from japan it's usually way more expensive than if you bought it locally? Now imagine you're doing that in reverse. That's why they region lock.
---
Always interested in any Pokemon event distribution cartridges. My email is in my profile.
#20temgunPosted 3/12/2013 10:53:29 AM
Where did Theatrhythm even go? I've had it on order on Amazon uk for ages and today you can't even order it anymore. I still have it in my orders though. Absolutely nobody else sells it anymore, not even ebay has any. What happened? It has been merely over half a year since its release and now it's nowhere to be found? Does anyone have any clue where to find it now?

Meanwhile on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007R4X3AG/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p63_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1K9KSF12T1MQRV4013TW&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

I'm starting to hate the region lock so much.
---
SPUNKGARGLEWEEWEE