How similar are traditional Castlevanias to Dracula X chronicles?

#11_Izanagi_(Topic Creator)Posted 3/6/2013 9:37:22 PM
g6260 posted...
What did you hate about the GBA games, TC?

Nothing, probably. It's been forever since I've played them. I probably just mistook their gameplay for Dracula X. I don't have them anymore, so I'm gonna get them online to see if it's good. I've heard so many good things about them, so I do want to try again.
---
"The Arcana is the means by which all is revealed."
#12n00bsaib0tPosted 3/7/2013 8:08:55 AM
_Izanagi_ posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...
RyuVegas posted...
lol! I'm glad someone has the balls to completely call out those fans of "Classicvania." I thought I was the only one that thought the exactly same s*** about Dracula X Chronicles that you do, TC.

In other words, you and that guy both suck and everyone that enjoys Classicvania games are lying about it. Good to know. I'm glad I'm capable of enjoying good games, it lets me enjoy Classicvania, Metroidvania, and whatever people are calling MOF. Good games are good games, quit throwing tantrums when you suck at them. The controls in Dracula X Chronicles are fine and I beat it in two days.

Yeah, but the thing about your opinion. It's invalid since you're a well-known troll.

I'm trolling because I don't blame me sucking at a game on the controls when the controls are just fine?
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#13Renzokuken405Posted 3/7/2013 8:22:22 AM
I enjoy both types, I have castlevania iv for the snes, dracula x chronicles for the psp, circle of the moon for gba, and dawn of sorrow for ds. though i enjoy the exploring ones more then the staged one.
---
Like a wolf, stalking its prey.
#14RetroFanGirlPosted 3/7/2013 9:08:23 AM
All I got from this topic is that you suck at Castlevannia and a bit bitter about it.
---
Hi.
#15zatOMGPosted 3/7/2013 9:19:54 AM
_Izanagi_ posted...
Oh, so that's what it is. You call Dracula X challenging? Sure, if having the main character moving around like he's got a wooden leg is challenging for you. Well, I suppose it certainly is. Another word for it would be stupid. That game is impossible to play. I'll play a 3DS Castlevania if it's a Metroidvania style, but yeah, Classic Castlevania is completely unplayable.

The only challenge here is holding my tongue responding to your immature and insulting thread. Wait... damnit.

Rondo of Blood is one of the pinnacles of the entire series to many fans. Not only that, but I have proven the game possible to play by... wait for it... PLAYING THE GAME. I did it, gimme gold star!
#1621_21Posted 3/7/2013 9:21:42 AM
Ghetsis posted...
Classicvania is like Dracula X Chronicles. Stage-based, and actually challenging.

The GBA ones (except for Classic NES Series: Castlevania) are "Metroidvania," so they're piss-easy, exploration-based, and let you double-jump, fly, turn into a duck, and all kinds of ridiculous crap.

I don't ever remember turning into a duck in a Metroidvania. I do, however, remember turning into a frog.
---
Currently playing:
999, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Fire Emblem: Awakening, and Scribblenauts Unlimited
#17darknight06Posted 3/7/2013 11:33:06 AM
What seems to be throwing off people these days with classic titles is that those games back then actually had rules and part of the challenge of those games was NOT being able to control yourself like God. You had to work within the limits of a game's rules. Would you be able to whip upward in reality? Yeah, but the game rules prohibit that. You've got items that do that for you. Super Castlevania IV is a great game, and it'll always be a classic to me, but one of the biggest things against it for some was it's decreased difficulty and that's mainly due to eliminating a lot of classic Castlevania rules. Compared to the earlier games, you were a god. Nowadays, because the idea of a game having rules is thrown to the wayside the only way for a game to get difficult is if it's bullet hell, or it throws a million things at you at once.
---
3DS Friend code: 4081-5501-8308
#18deimos91Posted 3/7/2013 11:37:16 AM
_Izanagi_ posted...
I've played Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles, as well as one or two GBA Castlevania games before. They were some of the worst games I've ever played. Dracula X was the worst PSP game I've ever played, without a doubt. Mirror of Fate a God of War style game, but there will probably be a traditional Castlevania game for the 3DS. So how similar would that be to Dracula X and the GBA ones?

and you are a bad person and should feel bad
---
steam:fartman91/3DSFC:3265-5740-7951
#19Termin8rPosted 3/7/2013 1:16:54 PM
What seems to be throwing off people these days with classic titles is that those games back then actually had rules and part of the challenge of those games was NOT being able to control yourself like God. You had to work within the limits of a game's rules. Would you be able to whip upward in reality? Yeah, but the game rules prohibit that. You've got items that do that for you. Super Castlevania IV is a great game, and it'll always be a classic to me, but one of the biggest things against it for some was it's decreased difficulty and that's mainly due to eliminating a lot of classic Castlevania rules. Compared to the earlier games, you were a god. Nowadays, because the idea of a game having rules is thrown to the wayside the only way for a game to get difficult is if it's bullet hell, or it throws a million things at you at once.

You can have a very hard game without having to completely gimp the controls. See this doujin game called Koumajou Densetsu II: Stranger's Requiem, where the player character controls very smoothly like in the post-SOTN games but the combination of enemy placement and level design still provide a very tough challenge that takes skill to overcome, but not in an unfair way. Sure, the bosses in that game are more bullet hell type than actual Castlevania, but at least there they're also designed to be overcome through skill, not through trying to wrestle with the controls. I find that it's rather sad when a derivative fan work ends up doing a much better job than the original work did, to be honest.
---
http://i41.tinypic.com/2yxi5h5.gif
#20_Izanagi_(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2013 3:02:33 PM
zatOMG posted...
_Izanagi_ posted...
Oh, so that's what it is. You call Dracula X challenging? Sure, if having the main character moving around like he's got a wooden leg is challenging for you. Well, I suppose it certainly is. Another word for it would be stupid. That game is impossible to play. I'll play a 3DS Castlevania if it's a Metroidvania style, but yeah, Classic Castlevania is completely unplayable.

The only challenge here is holding my tongue responding to your immature and insulting thread. Wait... damnit.

Rondo of Blood is one of the pinnacles of the entire series to many fans. Not only that, but I have proven the game possible to play by... wait for it... PLAYING THE GAME. I did it, gimme gold star!

Sure. It's possible to play it. Superman 64 and Medal of Honor Warfighter are also playable. That doesn't mean they are enjoyable and that doesn't mean that people want to play them. People who do want to play them are just gluttons for punishment. Take off those nostalgia goggles and play a real game.

darknight06 posted...

If you want to play with rules like that, go ahead. But when enemies are flying at you, dropping from the ceiling, and throwing everything but the kitchen sink at you (and I think one of them does throw the kitchen sink) you can't use a character that moves like he's got a wooden leg. You need more free movement, or you won't be able to survive. I don't know how many times I was killed in that game. You can keep playing over and over and eventually master the gameplay and win like that, but that takes forever. The reason Castlevania changed into Metroidvania is because nobody wanted to play Classic Castlevania anymore.
---
"The Arcana is the means by which all is revealed."