Tales of the Abyss, worth picking up?

#11DoctorCrabMDPosted 3/7/2013 8:04:49 AM
No
#12GhetsisPosted 3/7/2013 8:04:58 AM
No. The story is stupid, the characters aren't as charming as the other Tales games' are. The music isn't great, and the graphics look PSP-quality or worse. The battle system is good, but that's about it.
---
For those players who don't speak Australian, we have provided an English translation of the previous scene. Do you want to replay the scene?
#13thetoughkidPosted 3/7/2013 8:06:13 AM
Havent played it before?

If so...............YEEEEEEEEES, BUY IT NOOOOOOOOW!
---
3DS FC: 4656 - 6217 - 3476
PSN: Dupichos
#14abbyhitterPosted 3/7/2013 8:07:20 AM
Yes. It's one of the best games on the 3DS.
---
abbyhaxxor<3
I always rush here to tell GameFAQs my problems!
#15littlecletusPosted 3/7/2013 8:09:03 AM
I have been considering picking it up too.
Never played it. Always wanted to try a Tales game.
But right now I am playing too many games and I am kind of booked for the near future...lol. So I don't know if I want to take the chance of forking out $30 for something that may never get played.

I bought Zelda when I bought my 3DS and haven't even put that one in the system yet.
---
Are you a bug, Bill Murray?
#16pomebearPosted 3/7/2013 8:18:05 AM
If you played it on the PS2, no it's not. But otherwise, I think it's very much worth picking up.
#17Gandalf the IstariPosted 3/7/2013 8:23:31 AM
Fun gameplay and tons of content. Probably my favorite entry in the series. I haven't played it since the ps2 one though - just picked up a copy to replay it. The story is interesting and several of the characters are series all time fan favorites...
#18Ame_no_MurakumoPosted 3/7/2013 8:29:50 AM
Definitely. Great game, in my opinion.
---
Playing: Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan | youtube.com/KnightSaziel
Steam: KnightSaziel | 3DS FC: 5456-0205-3948
#19KingTremoloPosted 3/7/2013 8:34:54 AM
I would definitely say it's worth picking up; it's not only my favorite 3DS game, but my favorite PS2 game as well.

Some will say that the story is stupid, but I enjoy it; it throws you in some rather strange directions and at parts makes you question aspects of life. If you enjoy pseudo-science the world is definitely a good one, the game even goes as far as to make its own definition of what matter consists of.

The main argument against the game is annoying characters. Sure, they can be irritating at time....but they're actually supposed to be. The main character is a spoiled rich aristocrat who starts out as annoying (albeit funny) lil' b****. After an irreparable event occurs in the game's story he starts to develope into an admirable young man. Also, Jade is easily (IMO) the best character in the entire "tales of" series. Sometimes I think people hate on the characters for not being the annoying (often overly heroic seeming) ToS cast, or the edgy main character of ToV.

The combat system is easily the game's best feature. It's fun, fast, and addictive. On the harder difficulties it can really test you as a player. It's as complex as it needs to be without letting the complexity be a burden. I think this game (and ToV) was the high point in the "Tales of" series as far as gameplay is concerned. I believe later "tales of" games such as Graces overcomplicated the battle system and ruined the simple yet deep fun.

The one issue is that people complain about the pacing, which I can agree with to an extent. There are many slow, more political parts of the game that have you going on fetch quests to talk to NPCs around the game's world. I enjoy this kind of fantasy political drama, but I can see how it can be a nuisance to some.

Please note that I'm not really wishing to bash any of the other "Tales of" game; it's just that I simply find this one superior. The only "Tales" game I really didn't enjoy was Graces.
#20PSI_IKEPosted 3/7/2013 8:41:14 AM
It wasn't amazing but its worth a try
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4vCEHpv6Hg&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BOw6QPt1-g