Tales of the Abyss, worth picking up?

#51darkstar4221Posted 3/7/2013 3:31:17 PM(edited)
Super Slash posted...
I spent 22 hours on the game. Personally I wished Ashe killed Luked off when he had the opportunity. I read the spoilers because I didn't give a damn about the game, I heard about his transformation and I just couldn't continue the game, because the Luke was a scumbag, and that the cast supported him irritated me. I can't even play the game anymore because I sold it, one of the worst $40 I spent.

Except...the cast didn't support him, at least not at first. Tear pretty much outright disliked him, as did Jade. Guy was the only one willing to give him a second chance at the time. Did you seriously play the game?

They still put up with him, they still followed him around. If I met a scumbag in real life, I wouldn't want to asscoiate with that person anymore. But given ToTA has no relations to real life, you have to put up with Luke. Sure Tears disliked him, but later on she falls in love with him...disgusting. Yeah I seriously played the game, I spent 22 hours on the game. ToTA is THE WORST tales gave I ever played.
#52Super SlashPosted 3/7/2013 3:35:59 PM
Once again, it took everyone awhile to warm up to him. It didn't happen as fast as you're saying. Guy, who is Luke's best friend, pretty much said "Screw you, I don't like you anymore" after what happened. Tear and Jade were basically the same way. I don't remember how Natalia and Anise reacted.

Also, it takes Tear until like the end of the game to fall in love with him. It does not happen in 22 hours.
#53darkstar4221Posted 3/7/2013 4:19:05 PM
Super Slash posted...
Once again, it took everyone awhile to warm up to him. It didn't happen as fast as you're saying. Guy, who is Luke's best friend, pretty much said "Screw you, I don't like you anymore" after what happened. Tear and Jade were basically the same way. I don't remember how Natalia and Anise reacted.

Also, it takes Tear until like the end of the game to fall in love with him. It does not happen in 22 hours.

Sorry I can't stomach Luke, no matter what events that led to his sudden change. This is nothing new though, lately I've played a lot of rpg games with unlikable protagonists, I don't know why. But it's still something I don't put with. When I read the spoilers about Tears falling in love with that reject, that was the nail in the coffin for me to end the game.
#54AkaneJonesPosted 3/7/2013 4:39:22 PM
All I'm reading here is the detractors are very judgmental of type of characters in their stories and if they don't like the characters, but they are not antagonist they will call the work horrible crap. Some people hate the "look before you leap" brainless moron leads in other games, too, you know. Its par for the course with Tales of games, someone hates on it's characters thus they do like the game. It could be Lloyd & Colette, well here it's Luke & Anise.

The second issue is the same one people throw around at even great games like Super Metroid. They can't take backtracking. Oh it's not really an issue per-say here, it's more that they decided the side-quest stuff requires backtracking out of your way at every little plot point or you miss it. The fact that most of the true side-quest stuff is restricted to the last 1/3 of the game doesn't really help. It just means these lesser scenes become the diversion for side-questers because you can't say go the Nam Cobanda till way late. Other wise the story does direct you where to go, but no if it a place we've already been to, blah.

That not that the game doesn't have it's flaws, that last 1/3 shouldn't even exist. If only they'd moved the Anise & Frings sub plot events up to before the 2/3 end we wouldn't have these complaints, nor would it actual change the story in any functional way. That's just a fancy way of saying the game feels artificially extended, and only those two plot point are any value(both were started before 2/3 end anyway).
#55Bahamut_10thPosted 3/7/2013 7:24:05 PM(edited)
notSFF posted...
Bahamut_10th posted...
Gandalf the Istari posted...
Bahamut_10th posted...
Deimos259 posted...
No.

Nor any Tales of game for that matter.

Don't down a series without posting an alternative so we can see if you have rpg cred.

lol @ cred

I gave my input. If you don't like it, sue me. I don't have to go through a trial for giving my opinion.
Tales of is the Call of Duty of Japan.

That's a little too far, don't you think?

CoD - Cookie cutter FPS (Most popular genre among core US gamers) with barely any changes from one installment to the next. Generic characters and story that appeals to the north american mass who loves average military themes. Released every year due its cheap rehash nature.

Tales of - Cookie cutter RPG (Most popular genre among core JP gamers) with barely any changes from one installment to the next. Generic characters and story that appeals to the japanese mass who loves average weaboo-distorted medieval fantasy themes. Released every year due its cheap rehash nature.
#56Gandalf the IstariPosted 3/8/2013 3:16:51 AM
Bahamut_10th posted...
Bahamut_10th posted...
Deimos259 posted...
No.

Don't down a series without posting an alternative so we can see if you have rpg cred.

lol @ cred

I gave my input. If you don't like it, sue me. I don't have to go through a trial for giving my opinion.

It was half joke. I didn't say anything about not liking you - if you're going to be negative about an entire series, it's pretty common to offer up something that you instead find has value. As for "tales of is the call of duty of Japan" I'm just going to go with troll/10 on that one. Have fun.
#57Nophoria88Posted 3/8/2013 3:36:45 AM
Bahamut_10th posted...
Bahamut_10th posted...
Deimos259 posted...
No.

lol @ cred

It was half joke. I didn't say anything about not liking you - if you're going to be negative about an entire series, it's pretty common to offer up something that you instead find has value. As for "tales of is the call of duty of Japan" I'm just going to go with troll/10 on that one. Have fun.

He's just saying CoD sells like hot cakes in the west, comparing sales figures. But I do think the game is well worth it for any jrpg fan, as well as most Tales of games. Vita owners would eat up a US Tales release.