So is the 3D in Mario Kart bad or is it me?

#1I_Heart_EeveePosted 3/8/2013 10:15:11 PM
I just bought an XL. Got some games for it, but want to save them for an upcoming plane trip. I tried out MK7, but the 3D just doesn't work at all. I have to hold it at the exact perfect angle or the two images don't line up for me even on lowest 3D setting. Even when it did match up, it still didn't really do anything. The amount of depth didn't really change drastically. And turning up the 3D immediately gives me a headache. Is it MK or me? Definitely didn't buy the system because it has 3D, but I didn't expect it to be that painful.
---
If you think Eevee is cool then that must mean you are cool.
http://i38.tinypic.com/286zcqp.gif People that heart Eevee!: 52
#2SullyTheStrangePosted 3/8/2013 10:16:22 PM
It's you. I don't have any problems with it. It isn't mind-blowing or anything, but it at least works.
---
All's fair in love and war, kid.
#3Furikuri_flclPosted 3/8/2013 10:16:40 PM
It might be you because I was particularly impressed with the 3D while playing my brother's copy this week.
---
Now Playing: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Terraria, The Ur-Quan Masters, Nexus: The Jupiter Incident.
#4SMASHKING84Posted 3/8/2013 10:19:32 PM
Nah.
Btw you can add one more to your list. Eevee isn't my favorite pokemon but i love it a lot.
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon
Welcome to my barbecue-kefka ffvi
#5RyuVegasPosted 3/8/2013 10:24:53 PM
The headache probably, unfortunately, seems to be a personal one. Myself have had my XL for almost 5 months now and I love the 3D. In fact, I never turn it off unless it is a 2D-only game. I think the first day it hurt my head, but after I never felt anything. But also sorry to say, that "have to hold it in a perfect angle to even see the 3D" aspect of the System? Yea it doesn't go away if you want to view in 3D. That is kind of the necessary evil of using Parallax Barrier tech.

But the minute I met with my estranged cousin whom I haven't seen in like 5 years? When I showed him the 3DS XL I had the MOST asked question he asked was "doesn't that give you a massive headache, or hurt your eyes?" It was actually kind of annoying to keep hearing it like he didn't believe me.

So maybe some people's eyes will cause headaches after too long. Maybe some are fine when they play like me. Who knows? Seems to be biology. Hell, the potential headaches is probably exactly why EVERY. SINGLE. RETAIL-RELEASED. GAME warns you every god damn 15 minutes to take a break. >_>
---
http://backloggery.com/ryuvega NP: Fire Emblem: Awakening
"I've seen Ryu on the MtG board so he's already cooler than most of you." ~ XImperialDragon
#690sRetroGamingPosted 3/8/2013 10:28:34 PM(edited)
The depth is great but the pop-out flat out sucks. it's pretty much non-existant tbh. so much more could have been done as far as the pop-out aspect of the 3D goes. dissapointing.
---
"OldSchoolGaming4Life" on YT/"90sRetroGaming" on mariokartwii.com
#7Furikuri_flclPosted 3/8/2013 10:33:24 PM
I don't get where the whole headache and eye pain thing comes from. Scientifically, it's more natural on the eyes to view images in stereoscopic 3D, since it's how our eyes see all the time, compared to a flat 2D image.
---
Now Playing: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Terraria, The Ur-Quan Masters, Nexus: The Jupiter Incident.
#8I_Heart_Eevee(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2013 10:39:36 PM
Guess I'm definitely a minority in this issue. Oh well. Good thing the 3D isn't something I wanted for the system.

Furikuri_flcl posted...
I don't get where the whole headache and eye pain thing comes from. Scientifically, it's more natural on the eyes to view images in stereoscopic 3D, since it's how our eyes see all the time, compared to a flat 2D image.

Not really. Our eyes see different images, but our brain is what processes the two different images for us. 3D devices force the 3D in a less natural way so our brain receives conflicting images. Or something.
---
If you think Eevee is cool then that must mean you are cool.
http://i38.tinypic.com/286zcqp.gif People that heart Eevee!: 52
#990sRetroGamingPosted 3/8/2013 10:42:39 PM(edited)
Furikuri_flcl posted...

I don't think it's the actual 3D effect that bothers people. i think it has to do with both those black wavy-like lines and the occasional "ghosting" that distracts and distorts the image if you move the system a certain way and that then annoys the eyes. that's just my assumption.

I have no idea why these two problems even happen during 3D. just in case i get a reply to this i will admit that i'm not tech-savy whatsoever. i have no idea how 3D is created and/or how it works.
---
"OldSchoolGaming4Life" on YT/"90sRetroGaming" on mariokartwii.com
#10ayxqp2Posted 3/8/2013 10:42:40 PM
It is just you, I've always thought 3D looked fantastic. Though I've met a handful of others who can't stand the 3D, and describe the effect as just making everything look "muddy" or "blurry".

I wonder if you've ever known yourself to have poor depth perception or anything of the sort? For a person with good eyes the effect should be perfect.