This system is so overrated.

#51Rurouni720Posted 3/9/2013 12:37:54 PM(edited)
blazeUP12 posted...
xenos74 posted...
blazeUP12 posted...
The system + library is okay right now. 7.5/10. Still doesn't have many killer apps. Even first party games are not overwhelmingly "must play" titles except for a few.

I think the 3DS wrote a check it couldn't cash in terms of performance capability. A lot of games seem to be held back by the tech, even recent releases. It's been awhile since "frame rate issues" were even a constant point of discussion for any modern platform.

For a handheld that some people claim is even more powerful than the Wii, I expect more robust performance. So when I'm playing 3DS, I feel pleasantly surprised instead of automatically noticing all the shortcomings and having to "deal with it".

I don't agree with that part about fps issues not being constant discussion till 3ds. Pretty much in any board you'll find that people will hate on a game as soon as they find out its not 60fps and will go as far as to discourage others from buying said game. Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2+ come to mind as the most recent ones to receive such treatment.

Home consoles also get this same treatment except you have to add "1080p" to their little rants

Let me clarify - 3DS frame rate issues are more severe than other platforms. There's a big difference between trouble maintaining a solid 60 fps and trouble maintaining 30 fps for example.

I've played much of the Wii/PS3 software libraries and never really noticed frame rate issues except for in a few titles here and there. With the 3DS, my overall impression is lesser because so many games fail to reach that certain performance level - When you look at the games and are genuinely impressed instead of noticing several things that could be improved upon.

I notice a lot of people here like to ignore the 3DS' shortcomings or blame them on lazy developers, but as more and more titles come out, you can get an overall feel of the power of the system, and for the 3DS it just seems to struggle more than other platforms, Wii included, which I must say had several gorgeous games pushing 60 fps flawlessly.

Would you mind bringing my proof to how many 3DS games struggle to maintain their performance compared to many other platform? Because your argument comes off rather coy from a stand point of view to claim that.

As i said above, please bring proof by listing those Wii/PS3 games that you played in which you "never noticed" framerate issue aside from a few that justifies your argument. I'd like to hear this being bought up, i'll wait. Since i'm rather skeptical on what you are trying to bring about against the 3DS's capabilities.

Yes, and for a logical reason in regards to certain games and past histories/optimizations upon said-developer. Unless we should argue that the Sonic Genesis port on the GBA was totally taking advantage of it lol. Not with ones like MoF or the 3DS version of SASASR transform, definitely not. Games with performance issues can still tide by throughout a systems life cycle no matter how many games that work around the system's strengths properly prove otherwise in results. Kid Icarus, Mario Kart 7, EX Troopers, and others perform fine (and one of those titles runs in 30FPS with so many hectic enemies on screen consistently with little slowdowns that barley show up). Wii or many other platforms are not exclusives to receiving struggles upon what any kind of game reaches them. Performance issues can happen to ANY kind of platform in regards to how games fare with hardware, developer-friendly or not. There's no way around that. By the way, just as I've said about listing PS3/Wii games (yes including the 60FPS Wii titles) to show proof, would you mind also listing 3DS titles that show worse performance than any other system's game have?
#52UnderratedGamerPosted 3/9/2013 12:32:39 PM
SMASHKING84 posted...
Oot is claimed by many as the best game ever.
That's definitely overated.
However if you just think oot is good or it's ONE of the best games ever(meaning you have an imaginary list of your favorites and oot is SOMEWHERE on it) then that's not overated because both statements are pretty true.

Oot is a little outdated but it's still a game with very few flaws(namely the difficulty,the feild design,and the plot being pretty weak by today's standards). There's no real reason to hate it,maybe your bitter because some people like it more then your favorite game but that's not a legitimate reason to hate anything.

My favorite game is ffvi i get sick people saying ffvii is better,but i don't let my bitterness get in my way of enjoying ffvii.

I know right?

But nope. A lot of Sony fanboys will pull out the "10 million copies sold" on your ass to defend their holy grail. They won't even compare the game's actual quality.

I want to know one (just one) FF7 fan that doesn't defend their game purely by sales. But yeah. I like both too; it's just that FF7 fans are extremely annoying by claiming it's the best by stating game sales.
---
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived." - Isaac Asimov
#53SMASHKING84Posted 3/9/2013 12:41:47 PM
Honestly it sold more because the ps1 era was basically a gaming version of the baby boom.
A lot of people played there first video games ever on ps1

kinda like nes did but the difference is people don't look at the sales of nes games and claim that proves superiority(usally it's the fact the games were harder back then that causes them to say nes is superior...)
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon
Welcome to my barbecue-kefka ffvi
#54lufia22Posted 3/9/2013 12:57:08 PM
The sad part is you people respond to these threads.
---
nununu
#55BigPappy09Posted 3/9/2013 1:01:27 PM
I have no idea how this is overrated. All I saw was posts about how terrible this system was and how it was going to kill Nintendo.
#56Rurouni720Posted 3/9/2013 1:04:52 PM
BigPappy09 posted...
I have no idea how this is overrated. All I saw was posts about how terrible this system was and how it was going to kill Nintendo.

2011 was such a bliss right? :P
#57blazeUP12Posted 3/9/2013 1:13:19 PM
Rurouni720 posted...
Would you mind bringing my proof to how many 3DS games struggle to maintain their performance compared to many other platform? Because your argument comes off rather coy from a stand point of view to claim that.

As i said above, please bring proof by listing those Wii/PS3 games that you played in which you "never noticed" framerate issue aside from a few that justifies your argument. I'd like to hear this being bought up, i'll wait. Since i'm rather skeptical on what you are trying to bring about against the 3DS's capabilities.

Yes, and for a logical reason in regards to certain games and past histories/optimizations upon said-developer. Unless we should argue that the Sonic Genesis port on the GBA was totally taking advantage of it lol. Not with ones like MoF or the 3DS version of SASASR transform, definitely not. Games with performance issues can still tide by throughout a systems life cycle no matter how many games that work around the system's strengths properly prove otherwise in results. Kid Icarus, Mario Kart 7, EX Troopers, and others perform fine (and one of those titles runs in 30FPS with so many hectic enemies on screen consistently with little slowdowns that barley show up). Wii or many other platforms are not exclusives to receiving struggles upon what any kind of game reaches them. Performance issues can happen to ANY kind of platform in regards to how games fare with hardware, developer-friendly or not. There's no way around that. By the way, just as I've said about listing PS3/Wii games (yes including the 60FPS Wii titles) to show proof, would you mind also listing 3DS titles that show worse performance than any other system's game have?

Geez Rurouni, I barely understood that.

Instead of giving a list of games, let me make a quick example. Imagine a "frame rate measure line" with 0 fps on the left, 30 fps in the middle, and 60 fps being the max on the right.

If you were to graph all PS3 games and their respective "average" frame rates, the majority would fall somewhere between 30 and 60, towards the right side of the graph. If you were to graph all Wii games and their respective frame rates, the majority would also land between 30 and 60, maybe even closer to 60 than PS3.

If you did the same for 3DS, the majority of games would be found near the middle, around 30 fps. Sure there are exceptions like MK7, Nano Assault, etc. but the majority of the library doesn't reach that same level.

Of course this doesn't even take into account texture quality, polygon count, etc., but based on frame rate performance alone, 3DS is overall worse than other platforms.
---
hello earthlings, i am from another planet
#58BeautyAndABeatPosted 3/9/2013 1:13:28 PM
All portable handheld systems are overrated and not worth the money.

Unless of course, you're always out 24/7 and never home... but then if you aren't home in the first place, then why are you playing games? Don't you have something else to do? Isn't that why you're outside?

Lol, I just don't get handhelds. I've bought them before but I've only played them for a couple months and now it's just sitting somewhere in my house collecting dust.
Handheld systems are useless.
#59Furikuri_flclPosted 3/9/2013 1:18:15 PM
Your face is overrated.
---
Now Playing: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Terraria, The Ur-Quan Masters, Nexus: The Jupiter Incident.
#60enigmamjPosted 3/9/2013 1:22:16 PM
I don't think I have experienced worse performance than Skyrim on ps3 at launch. So many freezes and stutters. Game is better now, but still not completely stable. Most Bethesda games are terrible on ps3.

All systems have games that do not run smoothly unfortunately.

The Vita is more powerful but the current game library is terrible. I do love my PSP but made the choice to get a 3DS recently since the Vita is not exactly overflowing with great games that interest me. Plus now I can go back and check out many good DS games as well.