Gee, knowing the official Zelda timeline, future-Hyrule doesn't look so good...

#1mahgah91Posted 3/12/2013 11:05:49 PM
...the floodpocalypse of Wind Waker aside, when you start Legend of Zelda, it's a post-apocalyptic nightmare. Way worse than Ganondorf post-Triforce in OoT. This is notable because in the official timeline, Legend of Zelda and Zelda II come last. Despite all of the Links' and Zeldas' best efforts over thousands of years, Ganon has managed to send Hyrule into its Dark Ages.

As we enter the game, there's two things you start to notice. One, everyone's living underground, in caves. No villages, no civilizations, just refugees waiting it out in caves. Some people have even become desperate enough to lock themselves in monster-infested dungeons! You have your dismal old men, too old to fight, their only method of resistance giving advice and personal possessions to Link. You have your post-apocalyptic profiteers, people selling looted goods for money that isn't even good for anything at the time. Shields? Dungeon keys? These people don't need those things, they clearly scavenged them from rubble and dead adventurers.

The second thing you notice is that the world is barren. Any hint of civilization has been razed down or overgrown. The Zora have mutated into mindless monsters. The closest hint you have to any kind of civilization having been here in Hyrule is a mass grave. This world is bleak. You're a lone hero, occasionally running into helpless supporters or greedy vultures. No children. Few I assume survived this violent takeover by Ganon.

Of course by Zelda II life has almost returned to normal. The kingdom of Hyrule has been rebuilt but Ganon is on the verge of returning! Previously, you dealt with the consequences of Ganon winning. This time, after civilization has made a comeback, you fight to prevent the apocalypse shown in Legend of Zelda from happening. If you changed a few things in Zelda II, it could've easily been a prequel (or turn it into a weird JJ Abrams romp).

In the end, Ganon wins. Any number of Links can kill/imprison him as many times as he wants, it's the same Ganon/Ganondorf that keeps coming back and keeps f***ing up Hyrule.
#2VyersPosted 3/12/2013 11:11:43 PM
Zelda II is in a different region of Hyrule. It's likely that it was always in less distress than the first game's region.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear Subscribe for LPs of Pokemon Snap, The Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Super Mario Bros. 3, and more~!
#3mahgah91(Topic Creator)Posted 3/12/2013 11:13:02 PM
Vyers posted...
Zelda II is in a different region of Hyrule. It's likely that it was always in less distress than the first game's region.

As far as I know, Hyrule only has one Death Mountain.
#4ZhacariasPosted 3/12/2013 11:16:34 PM
I'd be more worried about Majora. WAS it a dream? Where did the Hero of Time Link go?
#5SMASHKING84Posted 3/13/2013 12:08:22 AM
Zhacarias posted...
I'd be more worried about Majora. WAS it a dream? Where did the Hero of Time Link go?

The hero time at some point went BACK to hyrule as an adult and died and became the hero's shade. this was a fan theory for a loooooong time but hyrule historia out right confirms this.
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon
ignores:razieru,vyers,quiet is good,attack a horse
#6IHeartMetroidPosted 3/13/2013 12:21:22 AM
If I may, I would like to allay some of your fears.

You see, the "Hyrule" in Zelda I is actually an itty-bitty, tiny little speck of the kingdom. It doesn't represent the entire Hyrule World as a whole. When you play Zelda II, in fact, you can actually go to where Zelda I took place.

No, I'm not kidding.

This is a map of Zelda II's overworld. The area encompassing Zelda I is at the very bottom left corner of the map-

http://faqsmedia.ign.com/faqs/image/reyvgm_zelda2.gif

See Spectacle Rock, the Zelda I graveyard, the Central and Side lakes and the Lost Woods?

Hope this allays your sadness about the future of the kingdom a little.
---
Currently ignoring 3 users.
If I haven't responded to a post directly addressed to me, that's probably why.
#7VyersPosted 3/13/2013 12:44:03 AM
What IHM said; plus, the North Castle in Zelda II has been around for ages, so it couldn't have been something that was in that deserted region of Hyrule.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear Subscribe for LPs of Pokemon Snap, The Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Super Mario Bros. 3, and more~!
#8gilgamesh21Posted 3/13/2013 4:15:55 AM
LoZ does indeed take place in "Hyrule Proper". Zelda II encompasses "Greater Hyrule", and you do indeed see Hyrule proper on the Zelda II map.

Spectacle Rock and Death Mountain are different places right?

SPOILERS!
-
-
-
I'd say most LoZ games take place in Hyrule proper.

I'd love to see a TP style game take place in Greater Hyrule. Vast and varied lands, lots of villages, and secrets.

END SPOILERS

Yes, LoZ is as bleak as the "Souls" games when you think about it.
#9IHeartMetroidPosted 3/13/2013 4:42:43 AM
"Yes, LoZ is as bleak as the "Souls" games when you think about it."

Because the Cult of Ganon will keep reviving him with the Hero's blood even when the Hero does slay him, so there can be no true lasting peace...

That does present a certain sadness to it. Would explain why instead of just outright killing him, Hyrule kept trying to seal him in various and sundry realms.

Guess the only way to truly "stop" Ganon would be to have him or one of his descendents reform and eliminate the cult. You know, stop being evil.
---
Currently ignoring 3 users.
If I haven't responded to a post directly addressed to me, that's probably why.
#10Wynters387Posted 3/13/2013 5:39:47 AM
IHeartMetroid posted...
"Yes, LoZ is as bleak as the "Souls" games when you think about it."

Because the Cult of Ganon will keep reviving him with the Hero's blood even when the Hero does slay him, so there can be no true lasting peace...

That does present a certain sadness to it. Would explain why instead of just outright killing him, Hyrule kept trying to seal him in various and sundry realms.

Guess the only way to truly "stop" Ganon would be to have him or one of his descendents reform and eliminate the cult. You know, stop being evil.

I always had a theory of Burn from spirit tracks being the descendant of Ganondorf. They could have had a hack and slash game where he discovers this and decides to put an end to the cult.

That is just a little fanfic idea that'll never be written cause I hate fanfic
---
Remember Senor, crafter of love.
President of the NDF Official Archeops of the Pokemon X Board