Why do people feel the entitlment to be Elitist if they like "hard" games?

#31ChikaraXPosted 3/15/2013 8:48:22 AM
I played completed and loved Dark and Demon's Souls (Demon's Souls = Harder imo).. And the Ninja Gaiden reboots (Initial release of 3 was blegh!)

But that's it.. I still prefer my games to have a nice flow of progress... Suddenly smashing my face into a brick wall, breaking all my teeth, because of a ridiculous difficulty spike just isn't me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO2c-b25I40
Love ya Zack.. In a manly way of course, lol

Having to replay long sections or entire levels over and over just is not my thing (Especially if it was caused by a STUPID QTE).

Save anywhere, yes please.. Check points, yes please.

rajin_donuts: Back in the NES days I used to enjoy harder games. I lack the patience for hard games these days.

And there's that.

But.. Like I said a while back.. (Sadly I can't find the original links anymore, those where far more interesting, lol)

Gamblers, like poker players, think they know what's going to happen next (aka Illusion of Control).. Daredevils/ Sensation Seekers never get enough and always want to push their limits to even more dangerous hights (aka Risk Taking)

Gambling addicts and Sensation Seekers both have something in common.. They are nuts.. Neh.. But there is something wrong.. Whaz wrong wit you?!

What risk takers seem to have in common is an enhanced ability for Dopamine re-uptake, i.e., their brains respond more strongly to the chemicals released during stress (D4DR)

Risk takers frequently experience arousal similar to that associated with sex. Many skydivers, racecar drivers, and other risk takers often compare their favorite activity with sex, calling it "orgasmic" or even branding it "better than sex."

http://www.faqs.org/health/topics/15/Risk-taking-behaviors.html

So chances are that gamers that are into hard games increase their stress level by playing them resulting in an increase of Dopamine.. Whereas gamers with a normal behaving brain will just throw the controller around the room and destroy everything near them, lol.
#32evilvergilPosted 3/15/2013 9:06:59 AM
Tzuba12 posted...
Kill_Jill_Vol_1 posted...
TheGreatUnown posted...
Been to the Monster Hunter boards lately?

You may as well ask him to eat lava.

The Monster Hunter boards have been helping anyone who needs it. So, I don't know what you're talking about. Hell, we get the same questions nearly every single day on the 3DS board, and STILL help the newbies out with any questions they may have.

Yea iv noticied that too. For the most part the MH boards are pretty friendly, though like every other GF board, it has its fair share of trolls. The Harvest Moon:ANB board on the other hand, while it does have some really nice and helpful people, has several individuals that are pretty obnoxious. I got flamed just for asking about the game and what people thought of it compared to other entries, and then when i call them out they get upset-_-. Ive seen it happen to several people there aswell. Doesnt make sense tbh
---
Now playing:UMVC3, P4A, Tales of Xillia 2, SfxT
UMVC3:Zero/Dante/Hawkeye P4A:Yosuke SfxT:Hwo/Alisa
#33TerotrousPosted 3/15/2013 9:11:43 AM
IMO, Demon's Souls is a good example of a game with bad difficulty. The challenge in the game is mostly trial and error, and whenever you die you have to repeat a large section of easy gameplay that will have no impact on the part where you died (since you can easily heal to full once you get there, your performance on whatever comes before does not matter).

The result is a game that's simply not as satisfying or fun as a game like Contra or Alien Soldier. It's stressful, sure, but that's about it.

ChikaraX posted...
So chances are that gamers that are into hard games increase their stress level by playing them resulting in an increase of Dopamine.. Whereas gamers with a normal behaving brain will just throw the controller around the room and destroy everything near them, lol.

I think this is a gross oversimplification of the subject. For one thing, most people who like hard games still like to win - it's not simply the difficulty that is the appeal, it's overcoming that difficulty. And I think this actually applies to most people, even those who do not like hard games.

What separates people who play hard games from those who don't is usually a matter of experience and patience.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#34l3igl3ossPosted 3/15/2013 1:00:49 PM(edited)
It's not hard games that I enjoy, but those with a rather high learning curve, because once you go through the initial shock of the controls and gameplay mechanics, you'll find that the level design, enemies and Boss fights aren't hard at all.

I tend to prefer them over easy to learn games that trick you into thinking you'll be having a smooth ride, only for the difficulty to grow to extreme levels. Also, easy to learn games make you more vulnerable to addiction, which isn't good. I prefer games that are harder to grasp:

- Street Fighter 3 Third Strike;
- Gun Valkyrie;
- Golden Axe 3.

Alien Soldier is another fine example, if not the best, of a game which controls are tricky in nature, but the game itself is very easy and accessible.
---
This account will cease to exist once Nintendo goes out of business because of the Wii U.
#35FefnirOmega13Posted 3/15/2013 1:12:22 PM
Shadowstar108 posted...
KaitaNuva posted...
When I played my first Castlevania game in Portrait of Ruin, I was thought this it was the hardest game I've ever played and let people in this forum know it. I get remarks such as the following:

"are you a noob"
"try harder, suck less"
"casual"
"wow its not that hard"

Seriously? Castlevania is freaking hard :/

The series as a whole, yes. Portrait of Ruin is probably the easiest of the DS games. It's not very difficult unless you go for one of the optional modes or the level 25 Hard Mode cap.

Dawn of Sorrow was WAY easier than PoR. I don't even think I got a legitimate game over on my first playthrough of DoS, also my first Castlevania game; whereas after the first few gameovers against Headhunter or w/e the first portrait boss was called the game gradually levelled out in PoR- and even then I had trouble with the vampire sisters and Whip's Memory for a while.
---
Bullet Hell fan, Cave and Touhou lover. <3 Patchouli Knowledge.
Playing: DeathSmiles, Fire Emblem 8, Rune Factory 3, Digimon World Dawn, Tales of Vesperia
#36SMASHKING84Posted 3/15/2013 1:54:46 PM
the so called "hard" games of the nes era were only hard because cheap design.
No save files-super meat boy has save files and it's hard as hell
limited lives-rayman origins so lack lives=/=difficulty
asking you to know info you couldn't possibly know without looking it up or trial and error
_remember how in lost levels you had to use invisible coin blocks to clear a gap?
etcetera.

Also the general idea that a game must be hard to be good is highly flawed,even if the game STARTS OUT HARD as hell,you'll eventually get used to the game and it'll longer be hard.

In other words because of diminishing returns,no game can be good if it has to ALWAYS be hard. my problem is hard games USALLY stop being fun after you master them,were as a GOOD game is fun even if you play it on "baby" mode.
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon
ignores:razieru,vyers,quiet is good,attack a horse
#37TheGreatUnownPosted 3/15/2013 2:19:31 PM(edited)
alphame4 posted...
I can't blame them since some of the noobs on there trash the game acting like they understand the mechanics.

How about you understand the mechanics first before labeling the game trash? Then people put them in their place and veterans are accused of being elitist.

How can you expect people to learn the mechanics of a game they don't even like? If you hate Justin Bieber, would you learn the lyrics to his songs?
---
PSN: phantom_xii 3ds:1161 0212 6579
Pokemon Black 2: 2194 6434 0293 XBL:IronPatriot215
#38SMASHKING84Posted 3/15/2013 2:09:35 PM
TheGreatUnown posted...
alphame4 posted...
I can't blame them since some of the noobs on there trash the game acting like they understand the mechanics.

How about you understand the mechanics first before labeling the game trash? Then people put them in their place and veterans are accused of being elitist.

How can you expect people to learn the mechanics of a game they don't even like? If you hate Justin Bieber, would learn the lyrics to his songs?

lol
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon
ignores:razieru,vyers,quiet is good,attack a horse
#39KaitaNuvaPosted 3/16/2013 9:27:07 AM
ChikaraX posted...
I still prefer my games to have a nice flow of progress... Suddenly smashing my face into a brick wall, breaking all my teeth, because of a ridiculous difficulty spike just isn't me.

This. so much. Hard for the sake of being hard is just trying my patience as a gamer.

TheGreatUnown posted...
alphame4 posted...

How can you expect people to learn the mechanics of a game they don't even like? If you hate Justin Bieber, would you learn the lyrics to his songs?

FINISH HIM
---
Rosewill Challenger | HannsG 21.5" | AMD Phenom II X4 B60 @3.7GHz | Sapphire HD 6850 1GB @875/1075 | 4gb ddr2 667 | Corsair 400w
#40yoshi006Posted 3/16/2013 9:29:19 AM
It helps people feel good about themselves when they have nothing they're good at that's actually important/useful for real life.
---
Good gameplay can easily salvage a bad story.
Good story can never save bad gameplay.