Mario FPS game? (or maybe ideas for a good online Mario game?)

#1xIvan321Posted 3/14/2013 8:58:53 PM
This was just a random thought that occurred to me. Mario has been in nearly every video game genre anyone can think of except FPS. Now what would you say if there was a kid friendly FPS deathmatch/CTF mode without real life weapons but weapons that seem to make sense in Mario's universe like bullet bills cannons, FLODD, vacuum cleaners, variations of koopa shells(red koopa shells may as well be heat seeking rocket launchers) and maybe a fire/ice flower gun? If you all disagree with this, that's fine you can discuss your ideal online game for Mario if you want. I would also be happy if they could make a 3D or 2D styled online mode with identical gameplay found in New Super Mario Bros DS. Multiplayer mode was so much fun. (too bad that wasn't online D:)
---
3DS FC:4425-1580-1611. Former MPH player of the KI:U board.
3DS chat: http://xat.com/mph93 SKYPE: xIvan321_
#2Darkwing EXEPosted 3/14/2013 9:13:33 PM
Look up Yoshi's Safari

As far as your idea goes; it was doom to fail as soon as you try to put "kid friendly" and "First-Person Shooter" together.
---
"That's the way it works. I, the star, take a beating; then muster uncommon strength, and win." -Haze Shenron
www.rockman-dash.com/1125.jpg
#3xIvan321(Topic Creator)Posted 3/14/2013 9:19:00 PM
Darkwing EXE posted...
Look up Yoshi's Safari

As far as your idea goes; it was doom to fail as soon as you try to put "kid friendly" and "First-Person Shooter" together.

Idk I dragged in that word because people normally think really dirty of the FPS genre. I personally would be okay with guns in a Mario game as long as they make sense and feel like they actually belong in Mario's universe so there isn't any controversy with the game.
---
3DS FC:4425-1580-1611. MPH expert of the Kid Icarus Uprising boards
3DS chat: http://xat.com/mph93 SKYPE: xIvan321_
#4Darkwing EXEPosted 3/14/2013 10:22:11 PM
xIvan321 posted...
Darkwing EXE posted...
Look up Yoshi's Safari

Idk I dragged in that word because people normally think really dirty of the FPS genre. I personally would be okay with guns in a Mario game as long as they make sense and feel like they actually belong in Mario's universe so there isn't any controversy with the game.

I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm just saying from very beginning , FPS game have been seen as mature titles. Gore and gritty atmosphere sells those types of games more than the gameplay itself. If they didn't, we would of seen a real Mario FPS by now.
---
"That's the way it works. I, the star, take a beating; then muster uncommon strength, and win." -Haze Shenron
#5Tempest717Posted 3/14/2013 10:25:18 PM
Darkwing EXE posted...
xIvan321 posted...
Darkwing EXE posted...
Look up Yoshi's Safari

I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm just saying from very beginning , FPS game have been seen as mature titles. Gore and gritty atmosphere sells those types of games more than the gameplay itself. If they didn't, we would of seen a real Mario FPS by now.

There's really not that much gore in the better selling FPS's though....at least not in the multiplayer. And nobody's buying CoD for it's single player I can assure you.
---
Official Cherry Garcia of the IDF
Official Lion Tamer of the NDF
#6Shadow-AngelPosted 3/14/2013 11:18:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf-2Imh6a54
---
The power you seek lies within you.
#7IHeartMetroidPosted 3/14/2013 11:35:05 PM
A couple items.

First Person shooters don't have to be bloody, gory or gritty in order to be fun. Case in point- during the Super NES/ Game Boy era, a company called Bullet Proof Software brought to both systems a game they titled FaceBall 2000. It was a FPS, set in a futuristic maze world where your characters piloted giant smiley faces and shot energy balls at each other for victory. It was also the first (and if I recall the only) Game Boy game where you could hack a Link Cable and get up to sixteen (yes, sixteen) players into a simultaneous arena death match.

As for Mario- the problem with that is that Mario is inherently a series devoted to platforming. And as Mirror's Edge taught us, precise platforming is really freaking TOUGH when you can't see your feet. I know that Nintendo experimented with different viewpoints when working with early 3D, and I would imagine that's why they kept Mario in the third person from the get-go; because it's just a whole lot easier to go where you're trying to go when you can see where it is that you're going.

So, no, as a personal point I don't think that a First Person Mario would be particularly enjoyable; not as a platformer in any case.
---
Currently ignoring 3 users.
If I haven't responded to a post directly addressed to me, that's probably why.
#8Bass_X0Posted 3/15/2013 1:24:59 AM
They should make a new Yoshi's Safari. Just with FPS controls instead of a light gun. Its not a platformer so wouldn't have the flaws of first person jumping. You would be able to walk around at will instead of automatically along a set path like in the original.

Weapons? Make the NES Zapper and SNES Super Scope as in-game weapons, the closest it would get to real guns. Everything else would be typical Mario weapons.
---
"History always favors the victor at the expense of the truth." ~ Rook
#9Darkwing EXEPosted 3/15/2013 2:11:02 PM
IHeartMetroid posted...
A couple items.

First Person shooters don't have to be bloody, gory or gritty in order to be fun. Case in point- during the Super NES/ Game Boy era, a company called Bullet Proof Software brought to both systems a game they titled FaceBall 2000. It was a FPS, set in a futuristic maze world where your characters piloted giant smiley faces and shot energy balls at each other for victory. It was also the first (and if I recall the only) Game Boy game where you could hack a Link Cable and get up to sixteen (yes, sixteen) players into a simultaneous arena death match.

Very true. But how many FPS since than have kid-friendly, surreal theme? Not a lot. Again, I'm not saying it can't be gone. I'm just saying that 90% of the fanbase for those games care to see "realistic" violence. It's just way it is. Just like virtually platformer games follow Mario, in mood as well as gamestyle; virtually all FPS follow Doom and Wolfenstein. To break from that stigma, the gameplay would have to be mind-blowing good as well as different from Halo and CoD.

And you already excluded the difficulty trying a first-person platformer with Mario. So yeah. A FPS Mario wouldn't work. Not without making it Yoshi's Safari 2.
---
#10wiiking96Posted 3/15/2013 2:13:36 PM
Eh, I don't think Mario himself would be best suited for this sort of role. A different character like Bowser might work, but it would still be tricky.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BiS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!