Getting an XL, can someone explain the eShop to me?

#1Axel0391Posted 3/15/2013 3:13:01 PM
Hi, I tried searching this, but couldn't find what I was looking for in previous posts.

I'm thinking of buying a 3DS XL next week with the "Register an XL + Luigi's Mansion, get a free game download" deal (Probably will get Mario 3D Land, seems like that one is most likely to stay at full retail price for a long time).

Anyway, my main question is: I was wondering what people's opinions on the eShop are. Things like:

1) How does the eShop work? What's the interface like, and how do you pay for things?
2) Are all full-size retail games on the eShop? How do the prices compare to physical copies?
3) Are there other advantages to going digital instead of physical? Load times, etc?
4) Can digital titles be registered? (Specifically, referring to the Luigi's Mansion + free game DL deal)
5) What are the must-have games? I'm interested in Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario 3D Land, StarFox, Professor Layton, and Fire Emblem.

I'd really appreciate some thoughts and opinions on any or all of these questions. Thanks!
#2a_ak57Posted 3/15/2013 3:21:43 PM
1) How does the eShop work? What's the interface like, and how do you pay for things?

It has a rather crappy layout so you're better of using its search function to find what you want. You can pay via credit/debit card or eshop cards from what I recall.

2) Are all full-size retail games on the eShop? How do the prices compare to physical copies?

No, not all. Not many, in fact. And the prices are retail.

3) Are there other advantages to going digital instead of physical? Load times, etc?

Nah, since the games aren't on disc there isn't any appreciable difference. I guess the advantage is that you don't need to keep the game carts with you.

4) Can digital titles be registered? (Specifically, referring to the Luigi's Mansion + free game DL deal)

I haven't bought any games that get Club Nintendo points from the eshop, but I'm pretty certain you're credited automatically if you link your CN account with your 3DS.

5) What are the must-have games? I'm interested in Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario 3D Land, StarFox, Professor Layton, and Fire Emblem.

Starfox isn't really worth it unless you're getting it for like $15. LM, SM3DL, FEA, Ocarina, Virtue's Last Reward (should play 999 first), Devil Survivor OC, Etrian Odyssey IV, and REvelations are the games I'd suggest.
---
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg
#3mahgah91Posted 3/15/2013 3:39:31 PM(edited)
Axel0391 posted...
Hi, I tried searching this, but couldn't find what I was looking for in previous posts.

I'm thinking of buying a 3DS XL next week with the "Register an XL + Luigi's Mansion, get a free game download" deal (Probably will get Mario 3D Land, seems like that one is most likely to stay at full retail price for a long time).

Anyway, my main question is: I was wondering what people's opinions on the eShop are. Things like:

I'd really appreciate some thoughts and opinions on any or all of these questions. Thanks!

1) You can either redeem prepaid cards or you can use credit cards. To use a CC you have to purchase funds, the minimum amount being $10.00. So if you only want that $5 game, you're out of luck. You're taxed on purchases (not the funds) based on your zip code.

Also the interface is really bad. Every week they have new selection categories based on themes, like Mario games or Recommended Games. They make it really hard for you to just browse and try and discover something unless you use their limited search function.

2) Yes. Retail games on the eShop are like any other digital console retail games, they're priced based on MSRP. Whether they go down in price or not is up to the publisher.

3) These are carts so there shouldn't be significant different in load times.

4) If you link your system to your Club Nintendo account, the game is automatically registered.

5) Depends on your definition of must-have. Most people will tell you Fire Emblem, some will tell you MH3U, some will tell you Virtue's Last Reward. 3 of your games are options for a free game if you register a 3DS XL and Luigi's Mansion before 4/30.
#4Makeveli_livesPosted 3/15/2013 3:28:57 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCmbTNFjsZ4

Either via credit card or pre-loaded card bought from a store.

Digital is higher and will always be higher then retail games. On average, 5-10 bucks higher then new retail games. 10-15 if you were to buy used from a store. 15-20 if you were willing to invest the time to look for deals on ebay/craiglist/etc.

No other then not spending the 10-15 seconds it takes to switch out a game.

If you link it to your club nintendo account, it'll register automatically. If you're talking about a modern account system, in which you can download on any device linked to your account, then no it can't be registered in that way.

Buy the Pikachu XL (or regular XL) at Target on the 24th for 160. Then buy Luigi's Mansion there, register them both to get a free copy of 3D Land. Also, best games on the system are:

Resident Evil Revelations
Fire Emblem Awakening
Kingdom Hearts 3D (only if you're already invested in the series)
Virtue's Last Reward (only if you've played and loved 999 on the DS)
Kid Icarus Uprising (controls will take a few hours to get used to)
Mario Kart 7 (only if you have access to wifi consistently. Gets boring as hell damn fast without online honestly)
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 1292 6142 0263
3DS FC: 0087 2410 1340
#5FishbulbPosted 3/15/2013 3:35:15 PM
Enjoy your new XL, you've made a good choice.
---
Broadcasting your religious faith in a sig is obnoxious. All who agree copy/paste this sig.
#6Axel0391(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2013 3:53:07 PM
Thanks for the detailed responses! I really appreciate it. If I can ask one more question, what do you all think of this potential purchase?

3DS XL (blue or black...sorry, I'm not getting that Pikachu one) - $159.99
Luigi's Mansion (Digital or Physical, I think it'll be the same price either way) - $39.99
Super Mario 3D Land - FREE thanks to previous two items

Total: $199.98 + tax

I may sell my DS Lite, don't think I'll be needing it anymore. Gamestop? Craigslist?
#7AmendythPosted 3/15/2013 3:57:30 PM
Axel0391 posted...
Thanks for the detailed responses! I really appreciate it. If I can ask one more question, what do you all think of this potential purchase?

Luigi's Mansion (Digital or Physical, I think it'll be the same price either way) - $39.99

I may sell my DS Lite, don't think I'll be needing it anymore. Gamestop? Craigslist?

Win combo, get it.
---
I fell down...again.
#8mahgah91Posted 3/15/2013 4:19:19 PM
Axel0391 posted...

It's a great first purchase. You'll get more for your DS Lite on Craigslist or eBay but it's a lot more trouble than just walking into Gamestop, trading in your DS Lite for credit. Plus you can buy a game on the spot if you trade in your DS Lite.
#9Makeveli_livesPosted 3/15/2013 4:21:37 PM

I think the gamestop hate is redundant on this board and gamefaqs in general, but you won't get jack s*** for a DS lite at gamestop now.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 1292 6142 0263
3DS FC: 0087 2410 1340
#10adonfrazPosted 3/15/2013 5:54:02 PM
Target is having B2G1 on all games next week, so you may want to buy a couple 3DS games ahead of time.
---
"I wanted another ad where LeBron says "Like a good neighbor State Farm is there, with a clutch gene!" - Skip Bayless
Xbox GT: Loyal Catalyst