New to the Etrian Odyssey series.

#1LethalX08Posted 3/15/2013 6:35:39 PM
Is Etrian Odyssey the best to start with. Assuming so but all the games seem extremely similar which isn't a bad thing as it isn't broken so why fix it haha.

EO4 is being released later this year in the UK/EU so gives me chance to decide if it's a series i want to start getting into. All i've heard is great things about it & i've always wanted FPS view RPG dungeon crawlers on my DS & there is not many out is there:

Deep Labyrinth
Etrian Odyssey 1-4
Orcs & elves
Dark spire (want but can't find on import sites)

All i can think of. Other recommendations would be great.

Any way off topic, so i'll get back on to my question, is EO 1 the best choice to start with or doesn't it matter ?
---
3DS: 1504/5682/1682 PSN: LethalX08 Steam: lethalx08 Playing: Sniper GW 2, DW7 E, Binding of Issac, Nintendo touch golf.
#2Boney00Posted 3/15/2013 6:37:21 PM
I'm wondering the same as EO is probably the one RPG franchise I didn't get into on the DS. I bet the first one is hard to find.
---
PSN: Bones00 3DS FC: 3136 6642 8964
#3MogMoogle1Posted 3/15/2013 6:40:55 PM
Basically.

EO1 - the first, unrefined version

EO2 - similar to the first, but refined

EO3 - similar with new mechanics; considered the biggest change in the series.

EO4 - somewhat gone back to its roots and at the same time refined what was new in EO3.
---
~~~PSN: YukiSeraph
Persona 4 Golden: http://i.imgur.com/Ui84Q.gif
#4KamilPosted 3/15/2013 6:45:30 PM
The only one I ever played was the 4th one though I watched a quick review of the third one. I've seen Mog on the EO4 board and I'm sure he knows far more than me I just don't really want to see this become a do I need to play EO1 before I play EO4 kinda topics hehe these games don't seem related at all and even if they were just start with perhaps the 3rd since the 4th isn't available in your area yet.

Actually "The Drowned City" premise seems pretty interesting to me, it's just that I bought a 3DS XL about two days before EO 4 came out so I just picked that one up.
---
slowbeef: Hold on it's the evil wizard who's spinning and striking a pose. And also giant swords, why the hell not.
Retsupurae on Earnest Evans, a wacky game!
#5LethalX08(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2013 6:46:23 PM
Boney00 posted...
I'm wondering the same as EO is probably the one RPG franchise I didn't get into on the DS. I bet the first one is hard to find.

An EU version of EO should be hard to find but the NA version isn't. Amazon.com sells it (but restricted to US addresses only) & play asia has copies.

I've got all 3 in my save later list & just unsure where to start. It's megaman all over again, i've only played from X onwards so when starting the original i was unsure, ended up starting with MM10 on PSN, then 2, 1, 7 & 9. I'll play the rest one day haha.
---
3DS: 1504/5682/1682 PSN: LethalX08 Steam: lethalx08 Playing: Sniper GW 2, DW7 E, Binding of Issac, Nintendo touch golf.
#6LethalX08(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2013 6:49:18 PM
MogMoogle1 posted...
Basically.

EO1 - the first, unrefined version

EO2 - similar to the first, but refined

EO3 - similar with new mechanics; considered the biggest change in the series.

EO4 - somewhat gone back to its roots and at the same time refined what was new in EO3.

Yep similar vibe i got from my MM choices. Hmm... screw it, EO it is !. Start from the roots for once.
---