Why do people say Kid Icarus for NES is so hard?

#11Bahamut_10thPosted 3/15/2013 7:51:34 PM(edited)
Froakie posted...
Just got it today. In terms of difficulty, so far.

Ninja Gaiden > Mario Bros. 3 > Kid Icarus

Seriously?

Ninja Gaiden would have been hard if the game didn't place us in the most recent checkpoint. And the series felt progressively easier with 2 and 3. I personally find the 'new' Ninja Gaiden much harder. The NES titles I thought had an OK difficulty but not like omghard like everyone likes to boast.

Mario Bros 3 isn't that hard either. Only the last world if that.
#12FroakiePosted 3/15/2013 7:52:03 PM
<Seriously?

Ninja Gaiden would have been hard if the game didn't place us in the most recent checkpoint. I thought it had an OK difficulty but not like omghard like everyone likes to boast.

They re-did the original? I have it on Wii VC and I think it's level 5, sucks.Whichever one has a bunch of birds and stuff >_>
Yeah Mario Bros. 3 the last world is the toughest (of course)
I'm already on level 3 on Kid Icarus and this is the first time I played it. I've died 3 or 4 times total.
---
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/13/134743/2409667-froakie_large.jpg
#13xLexLuth0rxPosted 3/15/2013 7:53:51 PM
Eggplants... stupid damn eggplants.

/topic
---
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist..."
Nintendo Network ID - LexLuth0r (please add me)
#14Bahamut_10thPosted 3/15/2013 7:56:04 PM
I think KI is more annoying than hard. (Just like the re-appearing NG enemies)
Because of screen border of death and frustrating dungeon design.
#15mahgah91Posted 3/15/2013 7:57:44 PM
Bahamut_10th posted...
Froakie posted...
Just got it today. In terms of difficulty, so far.

Ninja Gaiden > Mario Bros. 3 > Kid Icarus

Seriously?

Ninja Gaiden would have been hard if the game didn't place us in the most recent checkpoint. And the series felt progressively easier with 2 and 3. I personally find the 'new' Ninja Gaiden much harder. The NES titles I thought had an OK difficulty but not like omghard like everyone likes to boast.

Really? Have you gotten to the last level? The first four levels are a complete breeze. Just because you have unlimited continues doesn't stop it from being hard.
#16TinyTim123Posted 3/15/2013 7:58:45 PM
xLexLuth0rx posted...
Eggplants... stupid damn eggplants.

/topic

This. I think I only ever made it to level 2 as a kid. No matter what, I always got turned into an eggplant before making it to the boss, and if I faced off against the boss as an eggplant, it ended badly for me.
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
#17SSJ2__GohanPosted 3/15/2013 8:18:15 PM(edited)
It's very likely the randomly unresponsive controls.

I once (well, a gaming session) tried 3D Classics Kid Icarus. Everytime, 1 of 2 things happened: either I'd jump when you should jump, but the game wouldn't register it and I'd drop down. Or, I'd jump sooner to accomodate for the response time, and THEN it suddenly does register, causing me to not make it to my target since I jumped too soon. In either case, I kept dropping, eventually on a monster, forcing me to start over where the same thing would happen.

Of course, that didn't immediately happen with the first jump, but it always happened before I could finish the level.
#18IAznDragonI YanPosted 3/16/2013 12:39:35 AM
From what I've heard a lot of what made the original on NES hard was crappy controls... which they fixed on the eshop version (though I think you can select classic controls?), along with some other changes...

how'd they fix it?

From: Buttery_Toast | Posted: 3/15/2013 8:44:17 PM | #007
But nobody ever finishes the first level.

so true. i could never finish it back when i was a kid and i recently played it again and it was still hard as hell
---
X: X... you called me X... is that my name?
Dr. Light: That's right. It's a variable. It represents unlimited potential.
#19LinkMaster2703Posted 3/16/2013 12:40:53 AM
It's not that bad, I've beaten it a couple times.
#20GensokyoPosted 3/16/2013 12:47:01 AM
It's pretty hard by today's standards, but in no way unreasonably hard like a lot of other NES games.