Pokemon X and Y looks awful

#1nintendoman562Posted 3/16/2013 11:53:27 AM
Now that the hype train is dead, I think it's time for us to have a serious conversation about this. The game looks terrible. Watch the trailer and tell me what you think:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNr6wQfNfK4

-The game looks blurry.
-The character's hands are a single polygon. No fingers or anything.
-Characters seem to only move in a grid-based fashion (4 directions) like in the older games. Why is this? We have a 3D world and a circle pad.
-The world looks awkward, small, and barren when in a third person perspective. These issues were camouflaged by the birds-eye view in the 2D games but it simply doesn't work here.
-NPCs stand around like statues, motionless. Again, something that wasn't obvious in the 2D games but just looks awkward in 3D. They don't even have ambient movement, this is something that even early N64 games did better (look at Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, etc).
Why can't a game made in 2013 do better?
-There's no indication that the game will play any different from past entries in the series.

This all shows that Gamefreak has no idea how to create a 3D games. It's really sad how the trailer hypes up its awful 3D graphics when in reality it still plays like a 2D game.
What are your thoughts?
#2BobbyGoticksPosted 3/16/2013 11:54:29 AM
Final Fantasy had to go through FFVII graphics before it reached X so calm down.
#3nintendoman562(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2013 11:56:23 AM(edited)
BobbyGoticks posted...
Final Fantasy had to go through FFVII graphics before it reached X so calm down.
That was acceptable because FF7 came in the early 3D era and still looked amazing at the time. There's no excuse for Pokemon. FF7 also doesn't have many of the issues that I've listed for Pokemon X and Y.
#4KeleenRemPosted 3/16/2013 11:55:49 AM
I thought this was the point. I personally blame the fans for making Gamefreak too scared to be inventive with the series.
#5Furikuri_flclPosted 3/16/2013 11:56:56 AM
Your face looks awful.

Why don't you go take the place of a starving African child for a few weeks, see if you still care whether or not hands don't have fingers on them in a video game.
---
Now Playing: Picdun, Xenoblade Chronicles, Luminous Arc 2, Virtue's Last Reward.
#6BobbyGoticksPosted 3/16/2013 11:57:42 AM
it will most likely look better scaled down to a 3ds screen. Wait until camera footage comes out.
#7ZeroXravenPosted 3/16/2013 11:57:52 AM
Like all past Pokemon games, it's just them not wanting to mess with the formula too much. Why mess with something that sells so well? Same with all the other big budget franchises. If people continue to buy them, not much will change....
#8Starwars4JPosted 3/16/2013 11:58:42 AM
X/Y look amazing, and most of the gaming community seems to think so as well. Feel free to keep up the tantrum because you can't whine about it not being in 3D anymore though, we can always use the entertainment :)
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#9nintendoman562(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2013 11:59:07 AM
Furikuri_flcl posted...
Your face looks awful.

Why don't you go take the place of a starving African child for a few weeks, see if you still care whether or not hands don't have fingers on them in a video game.

Just because I'm more privileged than starving African children doesn't give Gamefreak an excuse to make a terrible looking, archaic RPG.
#10nintendoman562(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2013 11:59:59 AM
Starwars4J posted...
X/Y look amazing, and most of the gaming community seems to think so as well. Feel free to keep up the tantrum because you can't whine about it not being in 3D anymore though, we can always use the entertainment :)

That makes most of the gaming community wrong.