Question for Dragon Quest players..

#1doctorslagathorPosted 3/16/2013 2:26:48 PM
I am looking to buy one of the Dragon Quest games for the DS and i wanted to know (in the opinion of my fellow gamefaqs people) Which one would be the best one to start with. I played one on the PS2 a long time ago so i at least have a general idea of what im getting myself into.
#2Nickcool1996Posted 3/16/2013 2:33:52 PM
I believe the general opinion is...

5>9>4>6.

Could be wrong though. Try starting with IX since it's the easiest and has loads of post-game content.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/Nickcool1996?feature=mhum
http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o451/Behiimosu/dickkick.jpg
#3GlamGlorpsPosted 3/16/2013 2:34:09 PM
IX or Rocket Slime if you want games that are actually fun.

IV, V, or VI if you want archaic bore-fests with minimal-to-no innovation.
#4Prince ShondronaiPosted 3/16/2013 2:34:24 PM
IV is my favorite. Maybe it's just nostalgia for the NES version that I played in my youth, but playing through the stories of each of the heroes, and then seeing how they all come together to team up for monster-slaying is really cool, IMO.
---
One of us. One of us. One of us.
#5ObtuseAnginaPosted 3/16/2013 2:34:47 PM
I like 6 and 9 the most 5 is also good, not sure about how people feel about 4
6 and 5 are remakes of SNES games 4 was originally an NES game
9 is a new game
---
./|,-``\(o)_\,----,,,_http://i.imgur.com/3f4yT.jpg But if you're gonna cheat,
( `\(o),,_/` : o : : :o `-,...you might as well be a fairy while you're at it.
#6Maxx_the_SlashPosted 3/16/2013 3:37:08 PM
doctorslagathor posted...
I am looking to buy one of the Dragon Quest games for the DS and i wanted to know (in the opinion of my fellow gamefaqs people) Which one would be the best one to start with. I played one on the PS2 a long time ago so i at least have a general idea of what im getting myself into.

All 4 of the ones on the DS are great. I personally prefer DQ5 because of the number of recruitable monsters you can get into your team and for the "generational" plot that spans a couple decades of the main hero's life.

If not DQ5, DQ4 is a great one too.

Honestly, it's hard to choose. They all have features that are unique. The best I could say is get them all if you can. They were each revolutionary for their time.

DQ4 is great for being split into mini-quests involving each individual party member or smaller groups of party members before they even get to meet and join up with the main hero, putting more character development behind the supporting cast and not just the main hero like some RPG's did back then.

DQ5 is great for being the first RPG to actually show the main hero from his birth until his mid late 20's/early 30's and the development of his family, and for giving the playable character the decision to choose which wife they want to marry the main hero, determining what type of fighter their kids become (magic, physical, or a mix of both).

DQ6 is great for being one of the first RPG's to have a world split into 2 dimensions and what changes occur in one dimension effect the other one. RPG's weren't creative like that until years later.

And DQ9 is for being extremely grand in scale and for having so much content that you almost never run out of something to quest after.

Get all 4 on the DS if you can.
---
Opie & Anthony | Ron & Fez, XM 105/Sirius 206
XBL: Maxx the Slash | PSN: Maxx_the_Slash | 3DS: 3222-5637-7984 | Wii U: Maxx_the_Slash
#7NeatNatePosted 3/16/2013 4:33:01 PM
IX is the one to start out with. I prefer IV and V, but IX is newer and really works well introducing you to Dragon Quest. I do not care for VI at all.
---
Nate.
Pax Utopia
#8GhetsisPosted 3/16/2013 4:43:25 PM
IX. Made for DS, has a very robust class/skill system, and it has a staggering amount of content. It's the only 3D game (that's not a spinoff) on the DS, too. And it has full-fledged multiplayer as well, if that means anything to you.

IV, V, and VI are all good, though I personally think that IV's (and maybe VI)'s DS versions are inferior to others.

I especially loathe the English version of IV DS for changing the name of just about everyone/everything for no reason, and having half of the dialogue undecipherable (due to "accents"....which work about as well as you can expect them to work in a voice-less game...) It's also really easy compared to the original version. I love the NES game, though. One of my favorite games of all time.

VI is pretty good. It has a class system, though it's not quite as good as VII's (which is basically VI's, but improved.) The translation isn't painful like IV's, either.

V is very good. It adds a new marriage option over the other two versions, along with some other things. It's also one of the more popular games in the series, due to its unique and personal storyline. It doesn't have many human party members at all, though. Instead, you can recruit monsters to join your party. Probably the easiest game in the series.
---
For those players who don't speak Australian, we have provided an English translation of the previous scene. Do you want to replay the scene?
#9deimos91Posted 3/16/2013 4:45:00 PM
Nickcool1996 posted...
I believe the general opinion is...

5>9>4>6.

Could be wrong though. Try starting with IX since it's the easiest and has loads of post-game content.

6>9>5>4
---
steam:fartman91/3DSFC:3265-5740-7951
#10MrKunioPosted 3/16/2013 4:58:09 PM
IX is awesome as far as RPGs go. Has tons of customization and gameplay!
---
Official Mr. Bousouzoku 1986
3DS Fc: Mr. Kunio - 3437-4087-1475