Nintendo games are the only games...

#31pbandjamesPosted 3/16/2013 8:35:56 PM
WrestlinFan posted...
Quote:IHeartMetroid posted...
"Nintendo doesn't control used prices."

They do when the new game is still $35, buddy.

If anything, that hurts your argument. For five dollars extra I can buy the game new. So, it indeed seems that Gamestop is making a damn fine profit off of people by cashing in high priced used Nintendo games.

And really, game stores could lower those prices to sell their stock. They just know that people will continue to buy Nintendo games over time, and sell them at higher prices. It's simple business, and they want to make that profit.

@pbandjames

GS keeps the used prices high because Nintendo keeps the new prices high. If Nintendo lowered their new prices over time (faster than 6 years!!) GS would follow.

Yeah, I see. I agree the fact that Nintendo doesn't lower their price points for older games is ridiculous. As with OoSubaruoO, Mario Kart DS is still $44.99 in my region as well (side note: I believe you're Canadian also, OoSub? I'm not sure if the price is different in America). That's absolutely silly, especially considering that Mario Kart 7, a game further in the series, is $10 cheaper.

I see your point, and IHeart's point now. I didn't factor in the atypical corporate greed for Gamestop. I guess my thinking was that a game store would reasonably sell used games for less over time, but I suppose I wasn't realizing how much they're out to make money in the cutthroat used market.

I can't be perfect, and that's why I enjoy reasonable discussion.

IHeartMetroid posted...
Apparently the PB&J guy who just likes to argue keeps wanting to argue.

Look man, if you can't see how Nintendo maintaining a $35 MSRP price point keeps both the new AND used prices at a high level, I'm not going to argue with you. I don't like you and I don't feel like discussing things with you any longer than I have to, so I'm out of this discussion.

I made a mistake in my estimate of logical game pricing; WrestinFan kindly pointed out my impractical reasoning. I just enjoy good discussion and debating, and hearing different sides; I may come off as strong in my opinion, but that's only to encourage a strong opinion back. I don't think I'm perfect in everything I do or believe, and that's what makes debating enjoyable. This is a discussion page, and I like to discuss.

If you don't like me, that's fine; you're free to like or dislike who or what you please, as is anyone. Last time you didn't argue your point with me anyway, and that's why we had a problem. If you don't devolve into name calling, the conversation goes a lot smoother.
---
Game news is the best news.
#32WrestlinFan(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2013 8:41:45 PM
Quote:WrestlinFan posted...
Quote:IHeartMetroid posted...
"Nintendo doesn't control used prices."

They do when the new game is still $35, buddy.

If anything, that hurts your argument. For five dollars extra I can buy the game new. So, it indeed seems that Gamestop is making a damn fine profit off of people by cashing in high priced used Nintendo games.

And really, game stores could lower those prices to sell their stock. They just know that people will continue to buy Nintendo games over time, and sell them at higher prices. It's simple business, and they want to make that profit.
@pbandjames

GS keeps the used prices high because Nintendo keeps the new prices high. If Nintendo lowered their new prices over time (faster than 6 years!!) GS would follow.

Yeah, I see. I agree the fact that Nintendo doesn't lower their price points for older games is ridiculous. As with OoSubaruoO, Mario Kart DS is still $44.99 in my region as well (side note: I believe you're Canadian also, OoSub? I'm not sure if the price is different in America). That's absolutely silly, especially considering that Mario Kart 7, a game further in the series, is $10 cheaper.

I see your point, and IHeart's point now. I didn't factor in the atypical corporate greed for Gamestop. I guess my thinking was that a game store would reasonably sell used games for less over time, but I suppose I wasn't realizing how much they're out to make money in the cutthroat used market.

I can't be perfect, and that's why I enjoy reasonable discussion.

IHeartMetroid posted...
Apparently the PB&J guy who just likes to argue keeps wanting to argue.

Look man, if you can't see how Nintendo maintaining a $35 MSRP price point keeps both the new AND used prices at a high level, I'm not going to argue with you. I don't like you and I don't feel like discussing things with you any longer than I have to, so I'm out of this discussion.

I made a mistake in my estimate of logical game pricing; WrestinFan kindly pointed out my impractical reasoning. I just enjoy good discussion and debating, and hearing different sides; I may come off as strong in my opinion, but that's only to encourage a strong opinion back. I don't think I'm perfect in everything I do or believe, and that's what makes debating enjoyable. This is a discussion page, and I like to discuss.

If you don't like me, that's fine; you're free to like or dislike who or what you please, as is anyone. Last time you didn't argue your point with me anyway, and that's why we had a problem. If you don't devolve into name calling, the conversation goes a lot smoother.

@pbandjames

*applause*
---
Thank you for 434 days of the greatest title reign in history. Best in the World bab-eh
#33FefnirOmega13Posted 3/16/2013 9:42:09 PM
IHeartMetroid posted...
The other day I was at a game store and I found, next to copies of Hotel Dusk and Time Hollow (both of which are fantastic games and were less than $5 each), a copy of Super Princess Peach.

Bear in mind that this is a platforming game released way back in 2006.

$29.99 for a used copy.

>_<

I would agree that it seems like Nintendo likes its prices high.

That's not that bad... It's a decent platformer and it's (well, indirectly) an AAA game.

Super Mario 64 DS, on the other hand, is still 35 new ( ~$50) over here. Mario Kart DS, NSMB and Bowser's Inside Story also retain that pricetag.

And then on the other hand we have the Rune Factory series, games that aren't quite AAA.

Rune factory is 2 used. 2. Ridiculous... In a nice way, I guess.
Rune Factory 2 is 6 used. Still a bit ridiculous.
Rune Factory 3 is 13 used. About right. Except when you want it new, in which case on amazon it's upwards of 160 and peaking at 300 ($450)

I guess it depends on first party publishing, really...
---
Bullet Hell fan, Cave and Touhou lover. <3 Patchouli Knowledge.
Playing: DeathSmiles, Fire Emblem 8, Rune Factory 3, Digimon World Dawn, Tales of Vesperia
#34PuddingchanPosted 3/16/2013 10:30:09 PM
I will only buy games that are AAA quality to me at launch price, Nintendo published or not.