Is withholding information on upcoming games a good thing?

#1game2002Posted 3/17/2013 3:21:29 AM
Let's say a highly anticipated game is announced, and all its fans are excited. However, the game will have take about a year or so to complete, so the wait begins...

Everyone is expecting new info to be released once in a while, but guess what? The company released either absolutely no info or not-so-important and pointless ones during the long wait. Basically, we know nothing about the game other than the little of what is shown during its announcement. When the game is finally released on the day they say it would, every single part of it, such as the stages, characters, contents, game play modes, and even the first stage boss, are all revealed when people bought and played the game.

Okay, not that much info is necessarily withheld from the public, but do you think it's a good idea to withhold tons of things and saving them all until the game's release?
---
Praise the Lord, our one true God!
#2DeathSoul2000Posted 3/17/2013 3:27:36 AM
no, i hate it, i hate months passing without a shred of information, gives me little reason to get excited for the games. probably wii u's biggest problem - 5 months since launch, sales are the weakest ever, and yet they STILL refuse to give out any information on any games coming out. its ****ing nuts, i wish someone would slap nintendo on the head and make them stop doing this. i understand too many trailers kill hype(i.e. TP) but lack of information is just as bad.
#3game2002(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2013 3:32:41 AM(edited)
Please, this topic isn't trying to encourage bashing, so please be as civil as possible.

Thank you!

EDIT: Though I don't think what I said will make a difference anyway...
---
#4DeathSoul2000Posted 3/17/2013 3:31:13 AM
game2002 posted...
Please, this topic isn't trying to encourage bashing, so please be as civil as possible.

Thank you!

how am i bashing anything or being uncivil? i'm just stating how i feel.
#5game2002(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2013 3:41:13 AM(edited)
^ "***ing nuts" and "slapping nintendo on the head", perhaps.

You can say that my standard is quite high. I try to avoid saying things that attack someone or something.

Eh, just say whatever you want, as long as things don't go too far...

Anyway, please carry on with the topic.
---
#6SoeroahPosted 3/17/2013 3:48:28 AM
To a point.

I don't think companies should be too cavalier with what they announce in case they have to make changes or cancel features, but at the same time I don't think they should announce a title so long before it would be ready for release that there's nothing set in stone that the CAN announce.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ9Km7WW2aE
Best console war summary ever. TL;DR version at 2:05.
#7PuddingchanPosted 3/17/2013 3:55:32 AM
I'm actually fine with them holding back info until the last few months of waiting before the game is about to be released.

The only thing I can't stand is the lack of announcements for upcoming games later this year other than the few that we know (e.g. Pokemon XY, Animal crossing)
#8mushandinPosted 3/17/2013 3:55:39 AM
You need to strike a balance. I have seen trailers that tell you so little about the game I wasn't sure even what type they were. But give away too much and it can really spoil it. Look at Animal crossing out in the UK in June. I have come across so much info on this game that I feel as if I have been playing it since it's Japanese release. I will still buy it of course, but I can't help feeling my experience will always be a bit tainted. There is likely to be little in it that comes as a suprise.
#9hors_doeuvresPosted 3/17/2013 4:01:12 AM
Dragon Age 3 comes to mind.
---
3DS: 3179-7514-8675
"Vitamins, carotins, potassium, fiber... polyphenol!!!"
#10ImGanondorfLolPosted 3/17/2013 4:59:53 AM
I think games should be allowed to be revealed 2 years before release.
It does more harm than good.

Plus, we'll have more things to talk about on gamefaqs rather than troll topics about console sales!