So where did the hate for turn-based RPGs come from?

#1Emerald_MeliosPosted 3/18/2013 6:55:06 PM
I don't get it. It's like in the past few years the idea of an RPG that isn't real-time are shunned, especially by console players. When did turn-based gameplay get such scorn?
#2SMASHKING84Posted 3/18/2013 7:01:24 PM
Honestly i don't know but i think yahtzee popularlized the idea of hating it.
I still don't see what's so bad about taking turns.

Especially when if you think about it your taking turns in all games just that in some games turns last less then a second.
think of it like this:you see your opponent you fire your gun at him and he turns around and fires back.
now matter how skilled your opponent is he CANNOT react the exact same time you act.
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=198321
#3MarsfordPosted 3/18/2013 7:09:05 PM
SMASHKING84 posted...

Especially when if you think about it your taking turns in all games just that in some games turns last less then a second.
think of it like this:you see your opponent you fire your gun at him and he turns around and fires back.
now matter how skilled your opponent is he CANNOT react the exact same time you act.

wat
---
Why are you NOT listening to White Skies when you could be listening to White Skies?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MDhdP94TKc
#4HaloOfTheSun442Posted 3/18/2013 7:11:29 PM
Emerald_Melios posted...
I don't get it. It's like in the past few years the idea of an RPG that isn't real-time are shunned, especially by console players. When did turn-based gameplay get such scorn?

It's because Western gamers tend to prefer real-time RPGs for some reason.
#5SMASHKING84Posted 3/18/2013 7:12:38 PM
Marsford posted...
SMASHKING84 posted...

wat

In other words you take turns in all games because two people cannot act at the same time
you have to process a thought telling you to act before you can act.
---
#6Rasen543Posted 3/18/2013 7:14:39 PM
I think it's the current gen of ADHD gamers that can't stand the thought of patience.
---
Official Kodama of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#7ultradavedPosted 3/18/2013 7:15:43 PM
I feel you. I grew up playing turn-based RPGs to the point that I considered it a requirement to BE an RPG (I realize that's not true). Now, it seems that the majority of RPGs have gotten away from that.

In RPGs, I generally like strategy more than "think fast!" (there are action and fighting games for that) or "use macros/preset commands to let it play itself" (there are MMOs and RTS games for that). While I like SRPGs (or whatever you want to call the ones where you move units around an isometric grid), I play them less frequently than the other kinds.

I know it's been done to death, but sometimes I just want a turn-based, "my-guys-on-the-right-enemies-on-the-left," "use-medieval-weapons-and-magic-to-kill-mythological-monsters" classic RPG killfest. But you're correct in that I seem to be in the minority.

I always use "wait" instead of "active" in turn-based games that allow the option. My friends never stop giving me hell for that.
#8randomshemsPosted 3/18/2013 7:19:03 PM
I believe theres a decent amount of people who still like it they just aren't all on here v.v
---
Lets tear through nature together So we may see the face of god.
#9DarthFloatyPosted 3/18/2013 7:20:03 PM
No idea. I love them.
#10SMASHKING84Posted 3/18/2013 7:20:23 PM
The wait function is practically useless,imo
I get people want to feel immersed and taking turns can hurt immersion but,there's a reason action rpgs AND turn based rpgs exist.

Namely playing the exact same game for every series you play is boring.
my problem with action rpgs is it's a game more about reflexes then strategy.
---