The back is coming off of my 3DS XL...

#1EternalNetherPosted 3/21/2013 6:58:54 PM
I just bought it in December, And when I bought it I obsessively looked over it like I do all my new electronics and there was no such problem.

3 months later and it hasn't fallen, hasn't been dropped, thrown, tossed, dinged, dented, scratched, or otherwise abused in any possible way. But for some reason the back (the colored blue section) is coming apart from the center section (where the blue ends and the black begins) on the left side where the volume adjuster is.

I'm severely disappointed by this. Has anyone here had a similar problem that know an easy fix (would superglue work?) without me sending it back to Nintendo. I'll buy a new system if I have to, although I'd wait until after E3 to see if a new model is in the works.
---
PSN: Solirus
Feel free to add me.
#2Gavin_RozeePosted 3/21/2013 7:10:08 PM
Try pressing on it to see if it clicks back into place. If it doesn't, unscrew the battery cover and put a small amount of blu-tack on the loose areas and put the cover back on.
---
Wii U Nintendo Network ID: "Gavintendo".
3DS Friend Code: 0920-0069-6685.
#3dankmanaPosted 3/21/2013 7:18:51 PM
Nintendo cut a lot of corners regarding cost on the materials used for this system. Here are a couple of ideas I've had for when or if I get an XL:

Use one of the aluminum shell cases that snap on to the system, and forget the cheap plastic is even there. It'd be hard to tell if anything's wiggling about with it. Unscrew the back panel, and insert a very thin layer of something spongey (packing material, maybe the slip the DS comes in) possibly some tiny felt "feet" that you can find at office supply stores (think something that would make a stapler have more grip to the desk). If you can't make your own plastic panels and lack access to such industrial manufacturing tools like 99% of the population, you just gotta get creative.
#4Retroxgamer0Posted 3/21/2013 7:26:01 PM
that is normal, everyones 3DS does it. thats why i said that its designed cheaper than the regular 3DS. they didnt add that bigger screen for free, they cut corners on the plastic and design quality to get that.
#5ilovedietcokePosted 3/21/2013 7:28:34 PM(edited)
I have one of those aluminum hard shells for my XL. I purchased one to just change the color to one I preferred more than red or blue, but I was impressed at how it changed the overall feel/quality of the system when holding it. I would highly recommend one for any XL owners.
---
Won't Change This Sig Until Jack Thompson Is Brutally Beaten To Death By Kids "Under the Influence of Violent Video Games."
#6Retroxgamer0Posted 3/21/2013 7:26:33 PM
rest assured every 3DS XL does that, if you have a big problem with it, get a regular 3DS instead.
#7EternalNether(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 7:31:19 PM
Thanks everyone. I didn't realize it was so common. I also didn't know it wad just the battery under there. I was worried it was system internals or something.I feel better now.

Still crossing my fingers for a 3DS redesign ar E3. The hardware should be substantially cheaper to make now. I'll gladly pay $200-$220 for a DS with better build quality, more battery life, better 3D viewing angles, etc.
---
PSN: Solirus
Feel free to add me.
#8dankmanaPosted 3/21/2013 7:33:05 PM
Retroxgamer0 posted...
rest assured every 3DS XL does that, if you have a big problem with it, get a regular 3DS instead.

I have no hate for the original 3DS. It's a daring effort in design aesthetics and bursts with character, but I think at the end of the day if you want a bigger screen, you get the system that offers that.
#9dankmanaPosted 3/21/2013 7:34:36 PM
EternalNether posted...
Thanks everyone. I didn't realize it was so common. I also didn't know it wad just the battery under there. I was worried it was system internals or something.I feel better now.

Still crossing my fingers for a 3DS redesign ar E3. The hardware should be substantially cheaper to make now. I'll gladly pay $200-$220 for a DS with better build quality, more battery life, better 3D viewing angles, etc.

This. %100. It would annoy so many people to come out with another rendition this soon, but if the 3rd time's charm rule applies to anything Nintendo, it will still sell :P