New Super Mario Bros. Series Gives You Euphoria

#1jim200Posted 3/21/2013 10:51:13 PM
Doesn't it perk up the best feelings from when you were young and now, all while being fresh? - Results (127 votes)
Yes, it makes me feel giddy just thinking about it
14.96% (19 votes)
Only sometimes, when I'm in a good mood
13.39% (17 votes)
Rarely. Mario tends to annoy me frequently
3.15% (4 votes)
Only if there were more Luigi!
8.66% (11 votes)
Yes, and let's forget about that massive coin collecting
3.94% (5 votes)
No, It's just like any other game. Still fun though!
26.77% (34 votes)
No, it depresses me
29.13% (37 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I'm about to play NSMB2 for the first time and I honestly have the shivers! It'll be my first New Super Mario Bros. game. I can't wait!

Decided to make this poll in commemoration of another gamer's inaugural playing New Super Mario Brothers!
---
Thinking Is Destructive
PSN: Jemi200 ::: 3DS FC: 5129-0276-3428 Name: Jemi
#2SMASHKING84Posted 3/21/2013 11:02:38 PM
Nsmb 2 was very good but you won't here many fans admit it,because "it lacks innovation"(to that i say look at the link in my sig)
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=198321
#3melchiahdimPosted 3/21/2013 11:52:20 PM
NSMB2 is my favorite in the "New" series, though I haven't played the Wii-U one yet. It's the only one ive bothered to finish. That said, I don't really feel that childlike nostalgia you seem to be talking about. Not like when I pop in Super Mario World.

Though to be fair, when I watch my kids play NSMB2 or Super Mario 3D land they are just as excited as I was when I had my SNES at around their age.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0516-8714-1928
Vita: Melchiahdim
#4SMASHKING84Posted 3/21/2013 11:55:20 PM
melchiahdim posted...
NSMB2 is my favorite in the "New" series, though I haven't played the Wii-U one yet. It's the only one ive bothered to finish. That said, I don't really feel that childlike nostalgia you seem to be talking about. Not like when I pop in Super Mario World.

Though to be fair, when I watch my kids play NSMB2 or Super Mario 3D land they are just as excited as I was when I had my SNES at around their age.

Nsmb u is pretty good,it's slightly harder then this game(especially challenge mode)
It has about the same ammount of new ideas as this game.
---
#5melchiahdimPosted 3/21/2013 11:57:18 PM
SMASHKING84 posted...
melchiahdim posted...

Nsmb u is pretty good,it's slightly harder then this game(especially challenge mode)
It has about the same ammount of new ideas as this game.

I plan to buy it eventually. I'm not in the position to buy a Wii U at the moment.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0516-8714-1928
Vita: Melchiahdim
#6VyersPosted 3/22/2013 12:00:29 AM
SMASHKING84 posted...
Nsmb 2 was very good but you won't here many fans admit it,because "it lacks innovation"(to that i say look at the link in my sig)

A. Lacks innovation (don't put quotations around it as if it's untrue).
B. Co-op that may as well not even exist because it isn't real co-op.
C. Unambitious
D. Easy
E. Boring
F. Built around a concept that has no weight, consequence, or real reward.

It's probably the worst the Mario franchise has seen, somehow beating its DS predecessor. Galaxy 2 followed Galaxy with a deviant design structure, new level concepts, new bosses with tons of distinctive elements to them, new power ups, Yoshi, etc. etc. etc. Hell, the Cloud Mario form is probably the best 3D power-up ever. New Super Mario Bros. 2 feels like less of an improved sequel than Galaxy 2, by a wide country mile. Nintendo, if they really wanted to, could make a competitive product to the top tier Mario games. They've proven this fact with Galaxy, and then again with Galaxy 2.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear Subscribe for LPs of Pokemon Snap, The Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Super Mario Bros. 3, and more~!
#7SMASHKING84Posted 3/22/2013 12:12:54 AM
A. Lacks innovation (don't put quotations around it as if it's untrue).
because every sequel that isn't like sunshine automatically gets this
besides opinons CANNOT BE TRUE.
B. Co-op that may as well not even exist because it isn't real co-op.
let's see you do better oh wait you can't.
C. Unambitious
ambition is not always a good thing if it were we wouldn't games like mof and you know it.
D. Easy
compared to what? super mario brothers?
you mean that game that has no flight,max life count of like 99,and no save points?

you can choose to not fly,choose to not get lives,choose to not save and if you did it's TEN TIMES harder then mario 1

E. Boring
if nsmb is boring so is every other mario game,because they have the same gameplay...

F. Built around a concept that has no weight, consequence, or real reward.
when you beat smb,did you say "WHERE'S MY DAMN REWARD?" no,doing something like that is supposed to be it's own reward,same with this concept.

You talk about easy games when i beat you probally couldn't even beat nsmb 2 without dying. i did that on smb 1 and i cannot do it in this game,that proves this game is harder.
---
#8CojiroseanPosted 3/22/2013 12:25:08 AM
Nintendo first party is dead to me. I'll still play Mario 64 and Zelda on my phone every now and then and I'll keep my collection, but they have just lost it.
---
Not changing until DeSu: Overclocked gets to Australia.
20/02/13
#9VyersPosted 3/22/2013 12:29:52 AM
A. Except it's the least innovative Mario mainline title ever. First game starts the brand; second game (JP) gives a hyper-difficult twist on the formula, third game (SMBUS) introduces tons of new elements to the franchise, SMB3 adds flight, world map, and slopes, SMW adds Yoshi, branching paths, the spin jump, etc., SMW2 is completely new, SML is the first handheld game, SM64 is 3D, SMS has FLUDD, Galaxy has the orbital worlds, SMG2 reinvents Galaxy's formula, New SMB brings the series back to 2D, New SMB Wii add multi-player...

What reason is there for why New SMB exists?

B. The vast majority of critics in every medium in the entire world are not trained to create what they critique. Restaurant critics are not chefs. Book reviewers are not authors. Film critics are not directors. I am not a video game developer. And yet, only in this medium do people attempt to say that no one is allowed to criticize something unless they can do it themselves. The only reason I can imagine being "it" is that this medium's fans are not mature enough to accept criticism.

C. Food is a bad thing if prepared wrong. We still eat food. We do not starve to death in fear of a bad or, dare I say, dangerous meal. Why is it that video games should never take the risks? If they cannot be ambitious about their games, then they do not know how to design them.

Also, MoF isn't ambitious. It's lazy. It's taking concepts and ideas from two games and mashing them together unnaturally, where the ideas have hardly any effort exercised to make them work together.

D. Compared to SMB and every single Mario game ever made. I did not at any point feel pressured by the level design or enemy selection.

E. Weird - I've never failed to beat a Mario game out of boredom before New SMB 2.

The reason why it's boring is BECAUSE it's just a mash-up of every other Mario game's best ideas, without realizing that half of the quality is being intuitive and original.

F. This would be a fine game if it was the first in its series and if it was an NES game. It ain't. It's, what, the 15th or so? On a platform with MUCH higher standards for platform games than New SMB 2. Mutant Mudds and Mighty Switch Force! alone blow it out of the water in that respect. The standards used for New SMB 2 should not be the standards used decades ago.

Also, good to know that SMASHKING84 determines difficulty. People will eventually, and effortlessly, beat New SMB 2 without dying. There is no tension because you get a billion lives. That is where the ease lies. Dying doesn't matter. If that is so, then there is no difficulty. Compare it to Super Meat Boy.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear Subscribe for LPs of Pokemon Snap, The Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Super Mario Bros. 3, and more~!
#10sumostickfigurePosted 3/22/2013 12:32:58 AM
Doesn't it perk up the best feelings from when you were young and now, all while being fresh?

My first Mario game was Super Mario 64, so not really. I do like the NSMB games, but side-scrolling Mario games just don't evoke a sense of nostalgia for me.
---
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.
http://i.imgur.com/Vgmi3.gif