why did they region lock this?

#1GigerSupremePosted 3/23/2013 2:52:07 AM
it is seriously the only reason why i havnt purchased this yet.

look, i am an american, but i am currently living overseas in the middle east working. i dont intend to live in the middle east forever, im gona retrun to the states eventually.

in the middle east, they use he same region as the UK... PAL. so now if i buy a 3DS and when i return to the states, none of my 3DS games will work on an NTSC (usa region) 3DS, and my PAL 3DS wont play NTSC 3DS games...

what the hell, nintendo? you just lost a sale on a 3DS unit a bunch of 3DS games...

why did they do this? why not just do it like the DS? dony dosent region lock their stuff... hell, the ps3 isnt region locked and that is the leading console now. region locking wont protect you from sales from importing... it just frustrates the customer.
#2IAznDragonI YanPosted 3/23/2013 2:59:55 AM
because they want you to buy the games made for your region so that your region's nintendo and 3rd party companies get money and not another region's.
if you get a PAL 3ds then you need to buy PAL 3ds games. nintendo has pretty much done this since the nes era though you could bypass it on the nes. not sure about snes. the handhelds were region free until 3ds.
---
X: X... you called me X... is that my name?
Dr. Light: That's right. It's a variable. It represents unlimited potential.
#3GigerSupreme(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2013 3:03:06 AM
IAznDragonI Yan posted...
because they want you to buy the games made for your region so that your region's nintendo and 3rd party companies get money and not another region's.
if you get a PAL 3ds then you need to buy PAL 3ds games. nintendo has pretty much done this since the nes era though you could bypass it on the nes. not sure about snes. the handhelds were region free until 3ds.

it is awful for people who travel alot... you know, people who depend on handheld gaming for enetertainment most of all.

i understand the reasoning for consoles, but holy hell this SUCKS. it makes no sense to do it for portable games because the cost of shipping would negate any reason why a user would ever import any game for the sake of saving money...

its really stupid.
#4Lum_YatsuraPosted 3/23/2013 3:27:14 AM
It's been a long time coming. Portable region locks were toyed with over the years, few memorable to people.
stuff like the ereader only accepting correct region cards.
---
What's the buzz? A high voltage positive ion attack!? Chaaa!
#5GigerSupreme(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2013 3:49:13 AM
Lum_Yatsura posted...
It's been a long time coming. Portable region locks were toyed with over the years, few memorable to people.
stuff like the ereader only accepting correct region cards.

its a terrible thing that limits the customer.
#6DiscomasterPosted 3/23/2013 6:04:31 AM
From what I understand, it works like this... Let's take Fire Emblem for example. It's out in North America now, has been for almost 2 months. It's not yet released in Europe. If the 3DS wasn't region locked, people could just import the NA version and play it on the EU 3DS systems. Apparently it isn't a good thing for people to be able to do that, because it takes sales away from the region that has yet to launch the game.

On the other hand, it doesn't make sense for a couple reasons... One is that most people aren't going to be willing to pay extra money for a game instead of waiting a couple months for it to release in their region, so the loss in sales is negligible. The other is that some games end up not being localized anyway, so some people would like to be able to import those games, which would actually improve sales of certain titles by a small margin overall. Although they really should just start working on localizing a lot more games anyway... Kudos to companies like X-SEED who work hard on making that dream more of a reality in this day and age.
#7warlord3Posted 3/23/2013 7:20:01 AM
Discomaster posted...
From what I understand, it works like this... Let's take Fire Emblem for example. It's out in North America now, has been for almost 2 months. It's not yet released in Europe. If the 3DS wasn't region locked, people could just import the NA version and play it on the EU 3DS systems. Apparently it isn't a good thing for people to be able to do that, because it takes sales away from the region that has yet to launch the game.

This is part of the problem, the other part is that different countries have different rules and restrictions about what kind of content is in a game. Having a region lock means Nintendo can't be blamed if a country is angry that certain content was released to their country. Both reasons would greatly affect Europe.

With so many different languages in one region localization takes the longest, which is why they are usually last to get games. Secondly countries like Germany have stricter game content rules than Asia or NA.
---
Think of Clevos as being what Mac owners think they have. - Exiled_Overseer
#8Darklit_RequiemPosted 3/23/2013 7:24:00 AM

I don't see that as a bad thing, I see it as a reason for companies to step up and hurry with their localizations. If they don't finish the game, people will import it instead
---
~When life leaves us blind, love keeps us kind~
#9yukitoPosted 3/23/2013 7:25:49 AM
warlord3 posted...
Discomaster posted...

This is part of the problem, the other part is that different countries have different rules and restrictions about what kind of content is in a game. Having a region lock means Nintendo can't be blamed if a country is angry that certain content was released to their country. Both reasons would greatly affect Europe.

With so many different languages in one region localization takes the longest, which is why they are usually last to get games. Secondly countries like Germany have stricter game content rules than Asia or NA.

Has there ever been a case where the company was blamed that a consumer imported illegal or restricted goods, though? Usually the consumer is fined/taken to court/has their merch confiscated. The company that produced it wouldn't be blamed because they never officially released the item in that region.

I can understand locking it if they want to keep people from importing and "messing up" sales in each region, but a lot of times that could be avoided if companies were better about localization and releasing content in a timely manner. I'm way disappointed that Nintendo locked the 3DS, my slight bit of revenge was buying the system used (although I'll probably get a new XL if they have an appealing limited edition or purple version).
---
He's gonna kick that burger!
-Yusketeers
#10hors_doeuvresPosted 3/23/2013 11:37:14 AM
Depends on where you are in the middle east... I'm pretty sure UAE sells the Asian (or ASI) version, which is basically the same as the US version, except that it comes with a 220v ac adapter instead of a 110v, iirc.
---
3DS: 3179-7514-8675
"Vitamins, carotins, potassium, fiber... polyphenol!!!"