3DS Starts up with a black screen. Any help?

#1tiger_rampagePosted 3/23/2013 7:45:36 PM
Hey guys, I've just run into a problem with my 3DS, and I was curious if any of you have had the same problem.

So I've had this thing since summer of 2011, and it's worked great. I've never had any problems with it, and I've never gotten it wet, dropped it, or had it in any extreme temperatures. Anyway, I've been playing it off and on all day, no problems. About an hour ago I thought I would stick it in my pocket while I went up to walmart to get a few groceries. After finishing my shopping and getting back in my car, I pulled it out to look at my steps, look at spot pass, etc, and there was just a black screen. I thought it was a fluke so I shut it off. After turning it back on it's the same thing, still just a black screen. Same on both upper and lower screens. Same thing every time I turn it on.

I've had it plugged in for awhile and still no change. The blue LED light turns on and everything, and when I hold down the power button to turn it off, I can select to go back to the home menu, but it doesn't actually get that far. It gets to the title "home menu" then just freezes. No icons or anything come up. So I'm kinda at a loss. I've had the thing since 2011, so I can't exactly send it in for repairs without paying a ridiculous 80+ dollars. Can any of you help me? Thanks a lot!
---
Gamertag: tiger rampage2
#2AncientRomeBCPosted 3/23/2013 8:29:06 PM
aside from taking sd card out and back in and taking battery out idk what to try :(
---
3DS XL - 2423 2409 6597
"Veni, Vidi, Vici" - Julius Caesar
#3PlaysaverPosted 3/23/2013 9:13:46 PM
take the sd card out but don't put it back in.
#4ObtuseAnginaPosted 3/23/2013 9:19:16 PM
i believe the system sometimes glitches when being in sleep mode for a long time. try holding the power button in a few seconds
---
./|,-``\(o)_\,----,,,_http://i.imgur.com/3f4yT.jpg But if you're gonna cheat,
( `\(o),,_/` : o : : :o `-,...you might as well be a fairy while you're at it.
#5AncientRomeBCPosted 3/23/2013 9:23:20 PM
x23sephiroth23x posted...
i believe the system sometimes glitches when being in sleep mode for a long time. try holding the power button in a few seconds

he already tried that did you read what he wrote?
---
3DS XL - 2423 2409 6597
"Veni, Vidi, Vici" - Julius Caesar
#6Fr33zPosted 3/23/2013 9:58:16 PM(edited)
Something similar happened to me when I had my XL in sleep mode and opened it up and it stayed black even though the light was on. Did some digging and found that if since sleep mode is activated by magnets a magnet can screw it up, so opening it up can cause it to still think its in sleep mode. I assumed it was my phone having them next to each other or I had passed by something magnetic. My situation fixed itself after a while though. Your situation sounds more severe though, I suggest letting it stay off for a few hours then come back to it later and see if the problem persists. Keep it away from any other electronics that can possibly interfere with it. So like throw it in your closet or something lmao.
---
NNID: Illuminatis
Current Systems: PSP, PS3, Wii, WiiU, DS, 3DS
#7tiger_rampage(Topic Creator)Posted 3/24/2013 8:41:19 AM
Fr33z posted...
Something similar happened to me when I had my XL in sleep mode and opened it up and it stayed black even though the light was on. Did some digging and found that if since sleep mode is activated by magnets a magnet can screw it up, so opening it up can cause it to still think its in sleep mode. I assumed it was my phone having them next to each other or I had passed by something magnetic. My situation fixed itself after a while though. Your situation sounds more severe though, I suggest letting it stay off for a few hours then come back to it later and see if the problem persists. Keep it away from any other electronics that can possibly interfere with it. So like throw it in your closet or something lmao.

Thanks for the help. I tried all of the above to no avail. Nothing has changed, and I even called Nintendo about it. Not surprisingly, they want $99 to ship it in and fix it. Does anyone else have any ideas? Also, do you think I could trade it in to Gamestop and get anything substantial out of it? I know they can turn around and re-sell it as refurbished. I'm pretty good friends with the manager, and if I put the money towards another 3DS, do you think I can get anything worthwhile out of it?
---
Gamertag: tiger rampage2
#8JumpluffPosted 3/24/2013 10:59:21 AM
The same thing happened to me, my 3ds froze after I put it in sleep mode and I was unable to start anything after that. I had to send it to repair, and luckily I was not charged (still under warranty). As for your situation I dunno, if you have many digital games it may be worth paying the 99$ for the reparation.
---
3DS FC: 2191-7845-2935
#9Corey105Posted 3/24/2013 11:05:42 AM
Mine was having the same problem. Take out your game card/SD card, hold the power button for 5 seconds, and close the lid. When it turns off, open the lid again and turn it on. See if it works.