What sells better Flashy Gimicks or Hardware Specs?

#31jetpak12Posted 3/24/2013 3:24:00 PM
To me, hardware specs don't sell consoles. I don't care if my console has enough power to take me to the moon if I can't play decent games on the way there.

And on the other hand, gimmicks don't really sell me a console either, unless its something I'll actually find useful on a day-to-day basis. For example, I didn't buy a 3DS for the 3D feature, but I ended up liking it a lot more than I thought I would.

So I'd say "flashy gimmicks". Its easier for a company to advertise motion control or glasses-free 3D and differentiate it from the competition that way rather than saying it has a cell processor.
#32Garfield64(Topic Creator)Posted 3/24/2013 4:55:26 PM
SoaringDive posted...
Flashy gimmicks. Why do you think the PS2 sold the most? Games? No, it was because it used it's DVD player as a gimmick when the competition didn't.

Agreed at time it's whole reason I bought a PS2 ^_^
---
WARNING: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
Is a very well known Troll, please do not fall for their shenanigans!
#33WrestlinFanPosted 3/24/2013 5:02:41 PM
TC is a control freak.
---
Thank you for 434 days of the greatest title reign in history. Best in the World bab-eh. Don't support Bethesda, buy their games used.
#34Robot_SoopaPosted 3/24/2013 5:19:27 PM
Gimmicks.

It's why the Wii completely destroyed the 360 and PS3 despite the other two having far better specs and overall better quality games.

The thing is gimmicks tend to be fun. Maybe not the kind of fun us "hardcore" gamers enjoy but fun none-the-less.

Combine a low price-point, lots of games and interesting gimmicks and you've got everyone's attention over the other side who just yells about specs that nobody understands.