Should I upgrade to an Xl

#1squidcowPosted 3/24/2013 10:01:45 PM
I currently own a flame red 3ds and am thinking of upgrading to an Xl (possibly pikachu) and sell my 3ds just wondering if it is worth it.
#2ORANGE666Posted 3/24/2013 10:13:33 PM
Everyone here will say the XL is far better than the original because its bigger build, bigger screen, better 3D viewing, better stylus position, matte no finger prints.

But with all this praising going around, people leave out the negatives. You have a 240p resolution on a 4.88 inch screen. Aside from games being all pixely and ugly, you can also see each individual pixel staring at you as well as the spaces between the pixels. The screen looks terrible. The original 3DS also has better and stronger build design than the XL which feels cheap.

Imo, the original 3DS is better. But it depends on whether you prefer size or quality on your screen
#3coldwinePosted 3/24/2013 11:21:19 PM
It's absolutely worth it. Just go to a store that has one on display and try it for yourself.
---
"Life is a mistake that only art can correct" - from Passing Strange
#4MeleeSonic97Posted 3/24/2013 11:29:21 PM
Definitely go for the XL, 2nd poster doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

The only screen quality that might be percieved as poor comes when you try to play old DS games on it, and even then I honestly prefer the bigger screen with slightly stretched graphics to the smaller screened original 3ds.
---
NP: Fire Emblem, MK7, SCIV
Philadelphia Eagles status: Entering the Dark Ages
#5Xplode-Posted 3/24/2013 11:30:31 PM
The XL feels very cheap. It creaks and has a odd backplate to it. I am normally on my flame red 3DS instead of my XL. I do not recommend it.
---
Raider Nation, baby!: Silver and black 4 lyfe
#6danny5329Posted 3/24/2013 11:50:57 PM
I have both . Didnt bother with the normal one since i got my XL. The huge screens themselves are the main selling point and will very much provide more immersion when gaming.
#7coldwinePosted 3/25/2013 12:23:41 AM
Xplode- posted...
The XL feels very cheap. It creaks and has a odd backplate to it.

Ugh, this is a peculiar remark to say the least. The XL doesn't creak and there is nothing odd about the backplate, lol.
---
"Life is a mistake that only art can correct" - from Passing Strange
#8CompassPosted 3/25/2013 12:23:57 AM
No, because it's a downgrade.
#9Fr33zPosted 3/25/2013 12:53:35 AM
Seriously, I own both the original and XL and theres no problem with the XL screen. Games look just as good on it than on the original. Of course the 3DS smaller screen adds a little "Crispness" to it but its really not as noticeable as what Orange described. And its not a "creak" in the hinge, its a lock mechanic that clicks to let you know that its locked into place. Remember how easily the orignal DS's hinges would break? I personally prefer the XL just because it fits my hands better and the viewing angle/3D sweet spot is much better. Ntm with games like Monster Hunter where that text is really hard to read the bigger screen is great.
---
NNID: Illuminatis
Current Systems: PSP, PS3, Wii, WiiU, DS, 3DS