I don't understand Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

#41ecco6t9Posted 3/28/2013 12:43:55 PM(edited)
It's a test to see if people will buy 3D versions of Wii games.
---
Time Magazine's Man Of The Year 2006.
#42Super SlashPosted 3/28/2013 12:47:26 PM
Robobro posted...
Uhhhhh, when did they ever say that they traded animals for level design? Your point doesn't make any goddamned f***ing sense.

Someone needs to step outside.

You're just wearing nostalgia goggles. Your entire argument boils down to "IT'S DIFFERENT", with the exception of the motion control complaint.
#43gamercat86Posted 3/28/2013 12:51:21 PM
OoT and Star Fox 64 were remakes on the 3DS. They got updated graphics and stuff. DKCR 3D is NOT a remake. It's a port for whoever whants to play it on the go. I actually think it looks pretty good on the 3DS (eShop trailer) in 3D. I don't think I'll get it though. It could also mean there's a new DK game on its way and this is to keep the franchise relevant or something.
#44gransPosted 3/28/2013 4:28:40 PM
Oh and no water levels either.

You DKCR defenders are quite silly with defending your inferior game.

It's not that none of your points have no validity, some of them are fair and I agree with some of them. But DKC Returns has absolutely fantastic level design, and the problems you mentioned are just not serious enough to keep DKC Returns from being an absolutely fantastic game in that respect, even arguably outdoing some if not all of the original three DKC's. Even considering the motion controls which I heavily dislike and have been highly critical of on these boards.

What Returns gets right, it REALLY gets right, and the aspect it gets right happens to be the most important part of a 2D platformer. The level design and gameplay alone is so good that it's quite arguably superior to any of the three original DKC games. Even with the unfortunate absence of kremlings, water levels, lesser animal buddies and the many other things that the originals admittedly did better. And this is coming from someone who grew up playing the originals and still considers them some of my favorite games ever. But despite my nostalgia for the oldies and the sadness that Returns is missing some great elements from the originals, DKC Returns quite simply has some of the best designed levels i've seen in a 2D platformer. There are things the originals did better. But most of the flaws on your list don't have a major and substantial effect on the game's core quality. Where it comes down to the level design, Returns isn't inferior. In a lot of ways it's actually superior.

And as I said, I am fiercely nostalgic to the original trilogy as they're very much up there with my favorite games of all time. I probably won't change that opinion either, I still hold that view. But I will definitely concede that Returns quite arguably has superior level design to some if not all of the trilogy (despite my own initial skepticism before playing Returns). I would however certainly love for a sequel to bring back some of the elements from the original trilogy but keep the awesome level designers of Returns.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville