Upgrading to a 3DS XL today!

#1lt519Posted 3/28/2013 8:58:04 AM
Headed to Target after work to pick up the 3DS XL with the deal they still have going on. I bought Dark Moon last night and realized that if I picked up the 3DS XL for $160 I'd get a free game and could probably sell my old 3DS for close to $100. My hands were getting too cramped with the original 3DS and I could use a bigger screen.

What free game should I get? I was thinking Professor Layton since I already have 3D Mario Land.

/blogfaqs
#2blazeUP12Posted 3/28/2013 9:10:41 AM
Layton is the best choice, really good game. I find myself playing it even more than LM.
---
hello earthlings, i am from another planet
#3DalkinPosted 3/28/2013 9:27:34 AM
What a coincident!

I did the exact same thing for the exact same reasons (cramped hands, bigger screen) not even 2 days ago using the same discounts.

I was tempted to get Layton, but I got Starfox. It's actually really good.

You won't regret it. I'm wondering how I got by on my original 3DS for so long! I couldn't play for more than an hour or so because I'm getting a little older these days... It was like upgrading from the DS original (ugh, what were they thinking??) to the DS lite. It's just that much better.
---
-This post is in no way shape or form a TOS violation-
#4lt519(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2013 10:11:32 AM
Dalkin posted...
What a coincident!

I did the exact same thing for the exact same reasons (cramped hands, bigger screen) not even 2 days ago using the same discounts.

I was tempted to get Layton, but I got Starfox. It's actually really good.

You won't regret it. I'm wondering how I got by on my original 3DS for so long! I couldn't play for more than an hour or so because I'm getting a little older these days... It was like upgrading from the DS original (ugh, what were they thinking??) to the DS lite. It's just that much better.

Lol, I still have the original red Mario Kart DS. The thing is atrociously big and clunky.
#5lt519(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2013 8:52:31 AM
I got the $160 3DS XL from Target. I also got Professor Layton with the promo as I had already bought Luigi's Mansion.

I finally had some time this weekend to play with the 3DS XL. I have to say that sadly the hand cramping did not stop, but I got through a lot more playing this time around before it started to bother me. So improvement there.

The bigger screens are phenomenal though. I found longer sessions were a lot less of a strain on my eyes. I didn't do a side by side comparison but it also seems the 3D effect is a bit better. Things seem to pop out a bit less, but the depth looks a lot better.

On a mechanical side it seems a lot more flimsy and cheap than the original 3DS, a little dissapointing there.

Battery life was definitely improved, but in the end not enough to call it a good battery. I play the 3DS 95% at home so this was never really an issue anyway, more of an inconvenience.

Worth spending the money to upgrade, so if your on the fence, do it!