What constitutes good bonus content for you?

#1StarmanJuniorPosted 3/29/2013 5:32:27 PM
I love when developers put a lot of unlockable content. A lot of people are happy with extra worlds, maps, levels, etc. but I like to see effort by the producers to give players a real nod.

I loved how in Metroid Prime and Zero Mission you could unlock the original metroid. That was an amazing bonus content. Same with Donkey Kong 64 and being able to play jetpac and the original donkey kong arcade, that was just huge for me. I think games like Kid Icarus Uprising could've benefited from having unlockable original Kid Icarus games, especially for newcomers. Or Mario Kart games not just having retro levels, but unlockable older games, much like Super Circuit did.

Then there's other bonus content. Super Mario Bros. DX is one of the rare cases where I've been wowed by a port, because of all the additional content and the small touches, like each toad giving out artwork and whatnot. Similarly with A Boy and His Blob for Wii, getting a bonus level with each three treasure boxes rescued, and unlocking artwork and sketches from production, and even videos of motion capturing. I love when a game brings you into its creation like that, really makes the experience feel worthwhile.

What bonus stuff tickles your fancy?
---
Inside the mailbox was nothing. Nothing after nothing came pouring out.
#2GhetsisPosted 3/29/2013 5:36:31 PM
Did Super Circuit really have unlockable games? I don't remember that at all.
---
For those players who don't speak Australian, we have provided an English translation of the previous scene. Do you want to replay the scene?
#3poopfeasts420Posted 3/29/2013 5:39:39 PM
I like the type of bonus content where you have to beat the game on a certain difficulty to unlock a new character or something. The only ones I can think of right now are the Mega Man games on the PSP.
---
I AM DAVE EXCLAMATION MARK YOGNAUGHT
#4Mariofan15Posted 3/29/2013 5:53:20 PM

No. All it had was unlockable tracks from Super Mario Kart.
---
Pokemon White 2 FC:4685-8577-8710
#5WrestlinFanPosted 3/29/2013 5:58:53 PM(edited)
They can't put old games in as bonus content anymore, because publishers have to make a buck on the VC. *sigh* Tis the price of gaming this gen.

---
I was in heaven. I was in hell. Believe in neither, but fear them as well
#6FefnirOmega13Posted 3/29/2013 6:34:45 PM
Mariofan15 posted...

You say that as if it was a small thing... It WAS five extra cups, (albeit with slightly watered down content; the MKSC retro tracks lacked hazards like the rainbow road thwomps and were much shorter than the nitro tracks) after all.

40 tracks was quite a lot when you think about it. Probably why I think SC holds up in comparison to 64 and SMK.

--

Good bonus content, for me, constitutes one or more of the following:

-The ability to do what you want after the game ends in a state like free roaming
-- A new game + option allowing you keep most/all of your stuff if the above cannot be done
-Extra story content unlocks after the story has finished
-A super difficult extra dungeon(s) with a nice extra boss
---
Bullet Hell fan, Cave and Touhou lover. <3 Patchouli Knowledge.
Playing: DeathSmiles, Fire Emblem 8, Rune Factory 3, Digimon World Dawn, Tales of Vesperia
#7Mariofan15Posted 3/29/2013 7:04:27 PM
Mariofan15 posted...

You say that as if it was a small thing... It WAS five extra cups, (albeit with slightly watered down content; the MKSC retro tracks lacked hazards like the rainbow road thwomps and were much shorter than the nitro tracks) after all.

40 tracks was quite a lot when you think about it. Probably why I think SC holds up in comparison to 64 and SMK.

--

Good bonus content, for me, constitutes one or more of the following:

-The ability to do what you want after the game ends in a state like free roaming
-- A new game + option allowing you keep most/all of your stuff if the above cannot be done
-Extra story content unlocks after the story has finished
-A super difficult extra dungeon(s) with a nice extra boss

Those tracks sucked,though. They took out every obstacle that made them challenging.
---
Pokemon White 2 FC:4685-8577-8710