The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

OH SNAP! Did the 3DS update improve framerate issues for games???

#1Rurouni720Posted 3/29/2013 8:09:04 PM(edited)
I just played KH3D right now on my 3DS, and I SWEAR i'm noticing less stuttering and constant FPS drops than before after i updated my 3DS. The most striking evidence imo was the post office section because beforehand that place would LAG to no end even without anything on screen happening. I also heard similar things for Sonic All Stars Racing for the 3DS and MGS3D too....

Can anyone else who recently updated their 3DS confirm with their copies of KH3D experiencing less Framerate drops than before? O.O
#2Zekrom98Posted 3/29/2013 8:09:37 PM
See? What did I tell ya *wink*
---
3DS FC: 1289-8698-7326
Black 2 FC: 0992-0446-4997
#3Rurouni720(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2013 8:14:15 PM
Zekrom98 posted...
See? What did I tell ya *wink*

I misjudged thee. D:
#4Rurouni720(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2013 8:19:01 PM
WOAH, now i'm currently at the city area of The Grid world. The framerate is noticeably REDUCED there compared to what i remembered back then! DAMN. O.O
#5gransPosted 3/29/2013 8:22:06 PM
I was skeptical myself after hearing about Sonic Racing. I have the demo of it and can't say I saw any noticeable (if any) improvement to the demo. But according to others, the full game did receive improvement. I also have the demo of Snake Eater 3D and Mirror of Fate, neither of which have better framerates.

But like you, I do have the full version of Kingdom Hearts 3D. I didn't expect to see any improvement after trying the demos of some other games, but I went ahead and tried my copy of KH3D anyways for the hell of it. I really can't help but feel there's a very noticeable improvement here. There are multiple large areas in the game that suffer from framerate issues even when there aren't any enemies onscreen and when you're not using any attacks or flowmotion. I visited some of them and found that where I used to have a choppy framerate, almost all of them I could just wander around with a solid and steady 30 frames per second. The amusement park in Prankster's Paradise for example would lag even when you walk around it. But now i don't seem to be getting any sort of framerate issues just from walking around. Hell I can even use flowmotion and have the entire area in view without any hitch. Only when I got in a battle with a ton of enemies AND used some of my most powerful and flashy moves was I able to get the game to stutter, and it still wasn't nearly as bad as it was before.

Overall it feels like I have to force the game to take a LOT more graphical abuse before it begins to become choppy. It feels like it's maintaining a much better rate than it was before the update. The second to final boss as Riku for instance is notorious for being visually intensive and used to lag the game almost constantly. Now though, only the absolutely most visually intense moments really lag the game to a substantial level.

The issues aren't entirely gone altogether (that would be truly extraordinary lol), but I can't help but feel i'm seeing an immense improvement here. Like something akin to a 70-80% improvement perhaps. I hate to toot my own horn and all, but i'll at least say i'm fairly good at spotting framerate drops. I have to say i'm noticing less than I was before. And I don't think it's just me. Not just because others have noticed it, but because the demos I tried did NOT have this improvement (i'll have to dig out the KH3D demo and see if it had any improvement).

So if there is any improvement to be found, it may not affect the demo versions of games. My demos of Sonic Racing, Mirror of Fate and MGS3D didn't feel any smoother to me. So if you test things out, make sure you try the full versions of games. And if you can, compare them to the demo versions to see if there's a discrepancy between them.

I'm going to give KH3D some more testing later and I may have more to say. I've also compared it with videos posted on youtube (pre update videos) as a side by side and I definitely think there's a noticeable improvement to KH3D.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#6OoSubaruoOPosted 3/29/2013 8:24:59 PM
There's an update for the 3DS? *slow at news*
#7gransPosted 3/29/2013 8:26:51 PM
WOAH, now i'm currently at the city area of The Grid world. The framerate is noticeably REDUCED there compared to what i remembered back then! DAMN. O.O

Yeah, the Grid is a pretty intense world. I had pretty consistent drops through the majority of it, even when I was just walking around and not fighting anything or flowmotion-ing off things. Now though it definitely feels improved. Only in one instance (I think on a solar sailer or whatever that cargo train thing was called) did I manage to make it drop just from wandering around.

The areas that previous lagged in Traverse Town AND City of Bells no longer lag either. In fact, even when enemies spawn, the game rarely stutters anymore. One portion in District 4 I believe of Traverse Town where enemies appear used to cause the framerate to drop immensely. I am pretty confident in saying this does not seem to occur anymore. The game can take a LOT more visual abuse now before you'll notice framerate problems. They're still there if you look, but it's a major improvement.
---
-Granville
#8Zekrom98Posted 3/29/2013 8:27:02 PM
OoSubaruoO posted...

....... -_-
---
3DS FC: 1289-8698-7326
Black 2 FC: 0992-0446-4997
#9OoSubaruoOPosted 3/29/2013 8:28:35 PM
Zekrom98 posted...
OoSubaruoO posted...

....... -_-

........ -_-;
#10gransPosted 3/29/2013 8:41:06 PM(edited)
The update came a few days ago. There's not really much in the release notes that would directly indicate "games now run more smoothly", but people have started to note performance improvements over the course of the past week. I think someone originally posted here and elsewhere about the full version of Sonic Allstars Racing Transformed having a smoother framerate (again the demos of games may not have any improvements, mine haven't). For that game, the problem wasn't just that it had a bad framerate, but it actually sort of jittered in parts (brief pauses to the action). Several people have said this was fixed with the update for the full game (though they still happen on the demo).

I didn't believe this at all, especially after trying out the demos and still experiencing framerate problems. That is until I tested out my full copy of KH3D and was caught off guard. I think given that i've had tons of experience with KH3D (and recently started a new game on Critical), i'd probably have been able to tell had there been no improvement at all.

If anyone has the full versions of other games that previously had framerate issues, it would be great if you try them out and tell us if you got an improvement with the update. I've heard people claiming Snake Eater 3D, Sonic Racing, now KH3D, and even what little issues Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate had are now fixed or improved. There are others such as Ubisoft's games that also had issues such as Rayman 3D, Rayman Origins, and Splinter Cell 3D that we don't know about.

My wonder is what the hell they did to improve the performance of games in the first place. Reduced the resources used by the system software running in the background is plausible (perhaps using less memory and CPU/GPU usage). Or fixed some sort of bug that they weren't aware of. Other general optimizations. Or more unlikely, allowed games to somewhat dynamically overclock the CPU or GPU if they need more resources (Sony allowed this with the PSP, but I don't know if Nintendo would do such a thing).
---
-Granville