OH SNAP! Did the 3DS update improve framerate issues for games???

#11Rurouni720(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2013 7:53:39 PM(edited)
grans posted...
WOAH, now i'm currently at the city area of The Grid world. The framerate is noticeably REDUCED there compared to what i remembered back then! DAMN. O.O

Yeah, the Grid is a pretty intense world. I had pretty consistent drops through the majority of it, even when I was just walking around and not fighting anything or flowmotion-ing off things. Now though it definitely feels improved. Only in one instance (I think on a solar sailer or whatever that cargo train thing was called) did I manage to make it drop just from wandering around.

The areas that previous lagged in Traverse Town AND City of Bells no longer lag either. In fact, even when enemies spawn, the game rarely stutters anymore. One portion in District 4 I believe of Traverse Town where enemies appear used to cause the framerate to drop immensely. I am pretty confident in saying this does not seem to occur anymore. The game can take a LOT more visual abuse now before you'll notice framerate problems. They're still there if you look, but it's a major improvement.

Definitely, and i agree 100% with your above post on the improved performance in the game. Especially during the amusement park portion back that, and the Post office which used to show very clear FPS drops all over the place until now. There may still be lag in a couple places from here and there, but as you just said now it's definitely MUCH better than back then when they used to dip in the teens along with pulling off crazt effects lol.

I really wonder how the update managed to actually get a gain in performance for the game. Something to do with the CPU or anything?

Btw has anyone here confirmed if the full version Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate got a boost in performance on the 3DS yet?? This is like a secret discovery unfolded LOL!
#12DiscostewSMPosted 3/29/2013 7:58:08 PM
Rurouni720 posted...
grans posted...
WOAH, now i'm currently at the city area of The Grid world. The framerate is noticeably REDUCED there compared to what i remembered back then! DAMN. O.O

Yeah, the Grid is a pretty intense world. I had pretty consistent drops through the majority of it, even when I was just walking around and not fighting anything or flowmotion-ing off things. Now though it definitely feels improved. Only in one instance (I think on a solar sailer or whatever that cargo train thing was called) did I manage to make it drop just from wandering around.

The areas that previous lagged in Traverse Town AND City of Bells no longer lag either. In fact, even when enemies spawn, the game rarely stutters anymore. One portion in District 4 I believe of Traverse Town where enemies appear used to cause the framerate to drop immensely. I am pretty confident in saying this does not seem to occur anymore. The game can take a LOT more visual abuse now before you'll notice framerate problems. They're still there if you look, but it's a major improvement.

Definitely, and i agree 100% with your above post on the improved performance in the game. Especially during the amusement park portion back that, and the Post office which used to show very clear FPS drops all over the place until now. There may still be lag in a couple places from here and there, but as you just said now it's definitely MUCH better than back then when they used to dip in the teens along with pulling off crazt effects lol.

I really wonder how the update managed to actually get a gain in performance for the game. Something to do with the CPU or anything?

Btw has anyone here confirmed if the full version Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate got a boost in performance on the 3DS yet?? This is like a secret discovery unfolded LOL!

Wasn't SM3DL the first game to implement the use of the 2nd CPU, and the update at the time (required to play SM3DL) allowed 25% of it? The rest of course was for the OS and such. I don't know what other games use it, but what if this last update increased that amount, even to something like 30 or 35%?
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#13gransPosted 3/29/2013 8:07:56 PM
I just fought Sora's final boss and had a video open on youtube to compare while doing it. I didn't even need the video, but it just further confirmed that yes indeed the game is running much better now. Among many others, Sora's final battle had a ton of framerate drops throughout and even during the cutscenes surrounding it. I actually made it through the entire battle even with some very flashy high level moves and didn't get any drops. I even used flowmotion a lot throughout and i'm not seeing any problems here. Major and noticeable improvement, one i'm very happy about as it makes it more comfortable on the eyes with fewer framerate issues.

Getting ready to do the same with Riku's final bosses. Again I don't need a video to compare, but i'm keeping one open just for fun to see how much better it is.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#14Zekrom98Posted 3/29/2013 8:11:26 PM
I made the topic about sonic racing running more smoothly.
---
3DS FC: 1289-8698-7326
Black 2 FC: 0992-0446-4997
#15gransPosted 3/29/2013 8:20:09 PM
I made the topic about sonic racing running more smoothly.

I have a sort of request for you if you're willing to take it on- Could you download the demo of Sonic Racing and see if you noticed its framerate being improved as well. I tried it after the update but it didn't feel any smoother and it still juttered as badly as ever.
---
-Granville
#16Rurouni720(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2013 8:21:45 PM
I finished both of Riku's final boss fight, and i too notice definite improves overall to the framerates in both YMX & Armoured Ventus boss fights when they pull off intensive flashy attacks at you. Even i myself was very surprised and joyful to see such rightful fixes to them because there were too many drops from both bosses until now. Yay! :P
#17Baha05Posted 3/29/2013 8:22:20 PM
Come to think of it my Puzzle Swap was laggy as all hell prior to the update and now it fast forwards much faster.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#18gransPosted 3/29/2013 8:42:42 PM(edited)
I finished both of Riku's final boss fight, and i too notice definite improves overall to the framerates in both YMX & Armoured Ventus boss fights when they pull off intensive flashy attacks at you. Even i myself was very surprised and joyful to see such rightful fixes to them because there were too many drops from both bosses until now. Yay! :P

Aye. Battles in general are much smoother now. It used to be a constant lag, quite literally consistently kept low whenever you were battling these guys. There are still drops, but they now only happen when there's a good reason for them, specifically when you or the enemy are using their flashiest moves. I only experienced lag when Riku's final boss used his ice spell, or when he shoots tons of particles at you while you're flowmotion-ing (the second phase of the battle still lags at times when there are tons of effects happening onscreen, but it's still lessened by a huge margin). And for the very final battle, wow what an improvement. You basically have to use flowmotion a lot, which previously caused some crazy lag. Just youtube some videos and you'll see what I mean. The lag is lessened immensely, it's very noticeable how much better it is. There's actually some semblance of smoothness while using flowmotion now (it's not completely smooth at all times, but no longer is the entire battle one choppy mess throughout, i'd say it retains a fairly solid rate more than it doesn't now, which is saying a lot considering how bad this was before).

Again, I compared via videos of people who played the game before the update and the game definitely is noticeably less laggy overall now. The little lag that still does occur is now more the exception than the rule. It used to be that it was almost impossible to enter battles without the game dropping its framerate. Now many, if not most battles don't kill the framerate at all (even in intense parts). Once again, not entirely gone, but a VERY big improvement. I am convinced having compared my game with pre-update videos that this isn't some placebo effect or anything, it's real (for at least some games).

I'm very interested to see how other games have fared that previously had framerate problems.
---
-Granville
#19Rurouni720(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2013 8:51:06 PM(edited)
Indeed, as it should have been in the beginning (though i'd prefer zero lag at all for KH3D like KH2/RE:COM). Boss battles are much better now performance wise and since i just checked commantis too, it's laser attack animation while circling around are much smoother now (asside from when it shoots green spike objects).

Still though, color mee surprised how little of this part of the update being referenced by many. Now i'm totally curious as to if games like DoA:D or SSF43D got a boost with 3D on as well....

As for demos not having a difference, i believe thats due to them being released digitally before the update took place. And that the update itself MAY be only affective towards retail 3DS games especially ones that have noticeable FPS drops. So i think it makes sense why we don't sed a difference upon the demo of a 3DS game compared to the real thing. Hell, if Castlevania MoF is anything to go by then it's a godsend that this update came through!
#20SagadegoPosted 3/29/2013 8:54:22 PM
Rurouni720 posted...
Indeed, as it should have been in the beginning (though i'd prefer zero lag at all for KH3D like KH2/RE:COM). Boss battles are much better now performance wise and since i just checked commantis too, it's laser attack animation while circling around are much smoother now (asside from when it shoots green spike objects).

Still though, color mee surprised how little of this part of the update being referenced by many. Now i'm totally curious as to if games like DoA:D or SSF43D got a boost with 3D on as well....

As for demos not having a difference, i believe thats due to them being released digitally before the update took place. And that the update itself MAY be only affective towards retail 3DS games especially ones that have noticeable FPS drops. So i think it makes sense why we don't sed a difference upon the demo of a 3DS game compared to the real thing. Hell, if Castlevania MoF is anything to go by then it's a godsend that this update came through!

I updated my system. just tried DOAD still 30 frames per second in 3d sadly.
---
Why did Nintendo rip off digimon?- Demondog666